Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Surprise Attack! Trying Something New!

Marc.The.Shark

Marc.The.Shark

Love the slide out, I did the same inside of my bc cabinet for the reefkeeper.

Thanks. Trying to keep the brains of the controller out of the humidity as much as possible. Power Bar is inside the stand, but I'm going to put a humidity gauge in there so's I can keep an eye on it(cheap insurance! lol). Initially will have the vent fans cycle on for 10 mins every 2 hours. May have to bump that up, we'll see.

• Like 1

Mounted some of my Apex gear on the slide-out. Got some float switches in & a Break out Box from a member here. Working on some magnetic holders for the floats & mounted the BoB inside the stand. Still shooting for a weekend fill.

image_21.jpeg

This looks really good! How do handle the cables as it slides in and out? I've seen articulated cable trays but the cheapskate in me is hoping you came up with something cool that's a lot cheaper :D

• Like 1

Mounted some of my Apex gear on the slide-out. Got some float switches in & a Break out Box from a member here. Working on some magnetic holders for the floats & mounted the BoB inside the stand. Still shooting for a weekend fill.

image_21.jpeg

glad it went to someone who uses it well!

• Like 1
Marc.The.Shark

This looks really good! How do handle the cables as it slides in and out? I've seen articulated cable trays but the cheapskate in me is hoping you came up with something cool that's a lot cheaper :D

Nothing fancy Teeny, the hole where the cables come out is right at the top of the stand in the right corner there. Just leave a little play & they all stay behind the slide-out. Might just put some kind of eyelet in the back of the slide-out wooden part near the top to loosly tie off to, but prob don't need it.

glad it went to someone who uses it well!

Yeah, thanks! Got 4 float switches that I needed it for. I came up with a cool/cheap little magnetic way to mount the float switches in the sump/ato. I'll post some pics when I get them assembled!

• Like 2
Marc.The.Shark

FINALLY!! This has been a long journey. Starting to fill tonight. I put in about an inch of Meso-Flakes. I like the consistency & they shouldn't blow around. There's about 14 gallons in the display right now & making another 5 for the sump. Figured I'd be right around 20 +\-. I half ass rinsed the sand in RO, so it's a little cloudy & no pumps yet.

image_23.jpeg

image_22.jpeg

• Like 5
Marc.The.Shark

Clearing up nicely today. Gonna dump in the bacteria & start with the ammonia. I have BioSpira & MB7. Think I'll use the BioSpira and save the latter for other purposes. Have to adjust one of my returns, causing a bare spot. Not causing a sand storm with the Meso Flakes tho, they're just rolling around & not getting suspended.

image_24.jpeg

• Like 9
Marc.The.Shark

Like it wet!

Don't we all!!

Okay, a couple issues....

1. Getting micro bubbles out the bottom of my reverse durso's in the sump. I moved them while i was testing so they were at the waterline instead of the horizontal pipe fully submerged. This was a mistake as I'm running pretty much a full siphon. I think im picking up the air at the bottom & forcing it out. This is an easy fix, just need to lower them again, a couple pieces of pvc. On a side note, these things are dead silent! I have two 1" drains with four 90's and a 45 each and can't hear a thing. Whoever came up with this was a genius!

2. I can't get the waterline back up to where i had it during testing. It's sitting at about 1" - 1 1/2" below the lip of the tank. I added the George Fischer check valve and didn't anticipate how much it would impede my flow. It works very good tho & I'm going to keep it and just get the next size bigger pump. I have the DCT-6000 and will get the DCT-8000 which will give me another 500gph. That ought to do it. They're relatively inexpensive on Prime. I'm gonna have one heck of a yard sale when this is over!! Lol

• Like 3

Whoever came up with this was a genius!

hello_i_am_genius.jpg

lol

I added the George Fischer check valve and didn't anticipate how much it would impede my flow. It works very good tho & I'm going to keep it and just get the next size bigger pump.

Good to know. That means my current Eheim probably wouldn't be powerful enough. If I go with a DC I can run one of the bigger boys and just control it based on the plumbing and wye valve.

• Like 1
Marc.The.Shark

hello_i_am_genius.jpg

lol

Good to know. That means my current Eheim probably wouldn't be powerful enough. If I go with a DC I can run one of the bigger boys and just control it based on the plumbing and wye valve.

If it was you in fact, that dreamed up the reverse durso, then you are a genius! Lol.

The stopper on the George Fischer is quite heavy. This is what I think is leading to the little bit lower flow than i had before. I know that my SCWD is impeding it a lot as well, but had it perfect without the check valve. I'm impressed with It tho, solidly built & should be easy to clean. It also slams right shut when the flow is cut. Worth it.

Very nice build Marc, you have really put a lot of thought into this :). Great, work on the light also, looks fantastic.

Thanks bud! Can't beat the look of the Nanobox arrays! Also I saw your new Zoa's in your thread, damn those are sweet!

Thanks bud! Can't beat the look of the Nanobox arrays! Also I saw your new Zoa's in your thread, damn those are sweet!

Yeah, Dave makes a mean array :). And thanks buddy :).

• Like 1

Clearing up nicely today. Gonna dump in the bacteria & start with the ammonia. I have BioSpira & MB7. Think I'll use the BioSpira and save the latter for other purposes. Have to adjust one of my returns, causing a bare spot. Not causing a sand storm with the Meso Flakes tho, they're just rolling around & not getting suspended.image_24.jpeg

Looks great, man!

You think you'll get some life in there.......before 2017?

• Like 1
Marc.The.Shark

Looks great, man!

You think you'll get some life in there.......before 2017?

If only i had the right skimmer!
  • Like 1
Marc.The.Shark

I can make you a skimmer out of some stuff I have laying around......

will it vibrate? Cause that would be the bee's knees!
  • Like 1
Marc.The.Shark

Okay, been about a week. Put the BioSpira in & have been dosing ammonia. Its processing the 2ppm down to zero in 24hrs for the last couple days. Also some hints of diatoms starting on the sandbed, so things are moving right along. Also connected my Break Out Box and just got this in. For $12 it'll let me control high humidity thru my Apex & turn on the cabinet fans. I have them oscillating on for 10mins every hour, but can back that off now.

image_9.jpeg

Also ordered some of these magnetic acrylic frag holders to mount some float switches to.

image_7.jpeg

image_10.jpeg

This one is in my ATO container to shut off if level gets low. Need to move it down a little.

image_8.jpeg

Not much else going on except fired the skimmer up to try & get that dialed/broken in.

• Like 3

I keep getting so many ideas for future builds from this thread! That Honeywell sensor is perfect, looks like decent quality for practically no money :)

• Like 2