Pod Your Reef

Surprise Attack! Trying Something New!

Marc.The.Shark

Marc.The.Shark

Awesome update! 4 nanobox arrays :haha:

Liking the light hanging bracket and I love that cover! I'd like to get one but they're a bit expensive.

LMK when you need some chaeto for that sumpty

Thanks AJ. I have some cheato in my current sumpty, bout double the size of a golf ball & won't get any bigger. Have it spinning like crazy & it's nice & green and dense, but no growy! lol. Prob doesn't help that I have no Nitrates or PO4! Upped the feedings & still nothing. Thought you were gonna ride your bike over & get some diffuser film? ha. Wait for a little while & I'll be ready to do the transfer & have some choice coral to trade!!

That is incredibly smexy. your patience is inspiring. I may have to consider following your footsteps one day, if I ever get room to have a much larger smexy tank such as this. you overall ideas, design and execution is brilliant.

Thanks Sunstar, not so much patience as lack of time with work & a 1 1/2 yr. old boy! Gives me lots of time to reflect & change stuff! lol. Gonna be a year in the making before I'm finished setting it up! lol. Planned on about 3 months.....but I still have my current tank running, so no huge rush, plus I love my cylinder tank, hate to take it down.

• Like 1
Marc.The.Shark

Loving the light effect in that thick splash guard.

Get it bloody wet already lol.

LOL! I'm tryin! Need to figure a way to block some of the visible LED light from the diodes. Kinda bad design on my part, they sit right above the splash guard & with it sitting 7" or so above the tank, I can see my son staring at the arrays. Not good on his eyes. Gotta come up with something before I move on.

Yeah, definitely more sticks in this baby! I have the doser now, so no more Alk/ATO & manual Ca dosing! lol. Think I'm gonna have to rethink the center rock structure tho, getting a little close to the surface, no room to grow. Was trying to cover the drains some. My design on the drains was from when I was going to have rock out of the water & they wouldn't be visible. Wife put the Kibosh on that & I had to get a cover! hahaha, soon as I told her snails will crawl out it was over!!!

Or the center rock could be the home for encrusters like Monitporas, even caps. So you would still get to cover the drains. Although a bushy acro up top (on a lower height) would do it too.

• Like 1
Marc.The.Shark

Or the center rock could be the home for encrusters like Monitporas, even caps. So you would still get to cover the drains. Although a bushy acro up top (on a lower height) would do it too.

Yeah, that was the initial thought. But then you told me my rockwork looked like a monster with the drains as eyes! Spooked me! hahaha. I have a chunk of Bloody Mary Cap that was planning to use up there. I also have a few Monti's on plugs right now that are growing over the frag rack (Sunset, Neon Green, Purple Haze).

Marc.The.Shark

Love how it looks hanging Marc. I'm gonna have time to upgrade my 12 to the 22 before yours is wet though haha.

I don't know. Been keeping an eye on you & seems you have a couple issues yourself!! lolol

• 4 months later...
Marc.The.Shark

Well, this project is still going. Slight lack of updates, but been working a little at a time on finishing up some loose ends. Also summer is very busy time at work. Looking to get 'er wet in about 2 weeks. This is a current FTS. Loving the light & Dave's arrays are awesome!!

image_14.jpeg

Still going with a high flow sump & only return pump for flow initially(Jebao DCT6000, SCWD, & two 1/2" returns). Hopefully I can make that work to my satisfaction, if not I'll slow it down & have a mp10 to make up the diff. Don't want anymore cheato, makes a mess. Going with a skimmer/reactor, so hopefully I can find some balance with that. Pretty much all wire management done in cabinet, except for a couple loose ends. I made a slide-out using some roller drawer slides & a piece of laminate shelving to keep my Meanwell PSU & Apex control stuff outside of the cabinet. Slides out the back side if I need to access for any issues.

image_15.jpeg

image_16.jpeg

image_17.jpeg

That's it for now, more to come, countdown is on(only a year in the making!)....

• Like 6

*snip*

image_16.jpeg

That's it for now, more to come, countdown is on(only a year in the making!)....

Holy crap that's genius! I might just have to copy that, great idea.

• Like 1
Marc.The.Shark

Holy crap that's genius! I might just have to copy that, great idea.

Haha, thanks! Feel free. I've had a lot of time to dream shit up, tank was built last summer! lol.

A few of my other ideas didn't pan out & I don't recommend.....

-Nuclear Fusion powered return pump = FAIL! (and I have a weird growth coming out of my back!)

-Warp Core power heads = FAIL! (Clown launched out of tank @ warp speed, right thru screen top!)

-Natural thru-roof rainwater ATO = FAIL! (You can just imagine!

-Wife powered tank monitoring system = FAIL! (Tank got dosed with nail polish remover! No offense ladies!)

Hahahaha

How's your tank coming? Haven't seen any updates in a while.

• Like 4
Marc.The.Shark

Somehow I missed your new build thread, but I'm following along now. Welcome back!

Lol, if you call a year in the making "new". Can't wait to get water in it. Still have my cylinder going, it's 2 yrs old now & battling a little cyano. Just hard to get good flow in there cause it wants to swirl & then gets stagnent in the center. More real estate here tho & I'll take the cylinder down & keep for another whim. That's why I haven't been in a super rush with this build, still feeding my obsession with the other tank running. Getting antsy to buy some new coral tho :)

This is gonna be sweeeeet ?

I'm hoping buddy! Been boppin' in & out of your new tank thread, see it's finally settling down for you, good. Hate you lost the livestock tho :(
  • Like 1
blizzardscout2

I have to hand it to you for taking your time and designing a great system. Your stand is off the hook and the light is beautiful. I like the shark emblem the best personally. I am looking forward to seeing it wet. The three rock aquascape looks excellent by the way. The room between the top of the rocks and where the water line will be is perfect. Definitely following this build.

• Like 1
Marc.The.Shark

I have to hand it to you for taking your time and designing a great system. Your stand is off the hook and the light is beautiful. I like the shark emblem the best personally. I am looking forward to seeing it wet. The three rock aquascape looks excellent by the way. The room between the top of the rocks and where the water line will be is perfect. Definitely following this build.

Thanks, appreciate the compliments! I'm gettin antsy too! Been a long time comin'! Also, couldn't resist the shark stickers, lol.

• Like 1
Marc.The.Shark

It is the little details that count, plus sharks are awesome!

I see you're up in Seattle. Have a sister in Bellingham & go up occasionally sailing with them in the San Juans. Beautiful country. Never knew what a temperate rain forest was until I got up there, wow, all the moss all over. Looked like an enchanted forest! If it wasn't for all the rain you guys get, it'd be perfect!

• Like 1
blizzardscout2

The summers are beautiful due to the preceding rain. The northwest doesn't actually get as much rain as it is known for. You are correct that in certain parts there can be a week or two before you see the sun. Those areas are the convergence zones, but outside of those it is much better. I have come to enjoy the different seasons, but it isn't for everyone I suppose.

The forests are very beautiful and there is nothing better than hitting some trails deep into them. The bugs can be awful in late summer and fall, but if you are prepared with DEET they mostly stay away. My favorite hikes are heading up above the forests onto the mountain peaks and looking down on them. Bellingham is a haven for all outdoor bliss.

• Like 1

Haha, thanks! Feel free. I've had a lot of time to dream shit up, tank was built last summer! lol.

A few of my other ideas didn't pan out & I don't recommend.....

-Nuclear Fusion powered return pump = FAIL! (and I have a weird growth coming out of my back!)

-Warp Core power heads = FAIL! (Clown launched out of tank @ warp speed, right thru screen top!)

-Natural thru-roof rainwater ATO = FAIL! (You can just imagine!

-Wife powered tank monitoring system = FAIL! (Tank got dosed with nail polish remover! No offense ladies!)

Hahahaha

How's your tank coming? Haven't seen any updates in a while.

:lol:

No updates right now! Seems like I have bryopsis and gelidium, and a crap ton of stupid vermitid(sp?) snails. It's just been on cruise control so far. To be honest I'm really considering just ordering 15-20lbs of fresh Fiji rock from BRS or something and rebooting it with new rock, then keeping up a hard QT protocol to stop the pests from getting in the display. I think I also have a move coming up sometime August-Sept. range. But yeah, no new additions or anything fun in quite some time. :(

• Like 1
Marc.The.Shark

That slide out panel is genius!

Thanks Kat!

Here's a few pics of the inside of the cabinet, pretty much wrapped up. Haven't run the lines from the dosing pump yet & still have to add a few float switches for high/low level sump & low level ATO to my Apex break out box. And need to order a Coral Compulsion par30, but it's pretty much ready to go as is.

image_18.jpeg

image_19.jpeg

Apex screen & return pump controller on flip down access door. The readings on the apex are from my other tank, running then both off the Apex till the cylinder gets taken down.

image_20.jpeg

• Like 3
Marc.The.Shark

Ok, little dilemma...

I have 2 cabinet exhaust fans (120mm) to bring air into the sump area that will oscillate on with my apex for 10 minutes every 2 hours. They will also turn on with my cooling fans (two 60mm fans over the sump). Right now I have one blowing in & one exhausting out. But I'm torn as to having them both blowing in. I don't want to prematurely kill a fan due to corrosion as it will not be fun changing it out. I have the room to do it, just be a PITA. I thought about this later & didn't design an extra exhaust vent into the cabinet, although I have gaps around all of my doors & some where the 2 return lines come in. I'll only be running the fans about half speed & they say they're sealed bearings. Should I be blowing both in? Is the humidity gonna kill the one exhausting out faster? Or just leave it...

I'd probably run it as you have it set up now with one going in and another going out. You'll get the best movement that way. But you might want both going out if you want to minimize humidity in the stand, having both going in isn't going to do much except blow around the humid air.

Once you get everything running wet let me know how the SCWD works out for you.

Marc.The.Shark

I'd probably run it as you have it set up now with one going in and another going out. You'll get the best movement that way. But you might want both going out if you want to minimize humidity in the stand, having both going in isn't going to due much except blow around the humid air.

Once you get everything running wet let me know how the SCWD works out for you.

Yeah, I've got it blowing in across the top right where my eb8 is & out on the lower left. I guess you're right, if anything, I want the apex power bar to stay dry. I'll just leave it.

And I've been running a SCWD on my current tank for 2 years, love it. Gotta get the 3/4" one tho. I know you can take the 1" one apart for cleaning, but it's gotten bad reviews for failing. I keep a spare to switch out & then just soak the other one in vinegar to clean, about every 6 months. One note on the 3/4, I did the drill out mod where you increase the bore of the input/output holes & that helps increase the flow some cause these things eat into your return gph big time! To the tune of like 40% or something crazy like that! Just went with an oversized Jebao DCT 6000 pump & I've got very good flow in the tank.

Marc.The.Shark

Mounted some of my Apex gear on the slide-out. Got some float switches in & a Break out Box from a member here. Working on some magnetic holders for the floats & mounted the BoB inside the stand. Still shooting for a weekend fill.

image_21.jpeg

• Like 2