Top Shelf Aquatics

Surprise Attack! Trying Something New!

Marc.The.Shark

Marc.The.Shark

Hmmm.........how about both.......your sump looked sweet

I'll post some pics when I get the ATO in & move the tank into the house from the garage workshop, Phuong is prob working on it now, everything's the same! Lol. I'll see if I can get some pics later of the cylinder tank, my setosa has some RTN on the tips from whatever (carpet cleaners), but not everything was affected, bird of paradise looked a little crazy for a while, but back to normal & sprouting like crazy.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Marc.The.Shark

Received a box 'o rocks from John @ Reefcleaners & finally moved the tank into the house from garage workshop, stand still out there (few things left to do). Started playing around with a 3 island scape and came up with this. I'll let it marinate for a few days & see if I like it. A lot of open sandbed which will be nice coming from the tall cylinder tank. Tank is pretty shallow, so only took the middle stack up toward water line. I trashed my original idea of rock breaking the surface, scared of jumpers. Also, Phuong is done with my ATO container, so should be getting that soon and ordered a screen top & a Tunze 9001 for the sump. Trying to get back in gear, this build has been 6 months so far! Lol. :) Any input on scape?

image_1.jpeg

image_2.jpeg

• Like 3

I like the scape. Simple and plenty of space left open. I still need to reorganize under my stand. Been procrastinating. Looking at yours makes me want to get crackin' on it.

• Like 1
Marc.The.Shark

I like the scape. Simple and plenty of space left open. I still need to reorganize under my stand. Been procrastinating. Looking at yours makes me want to get crackin' on it.

Thanks, but I already changed it! Lol. Was trying to incorporate some old dry rock I had from previuos tanks. Its super light & porous & has a bunch of caves underneath for fish hiding spots. Just added to the left side, plus gives me a nice shelf like structure on top. Can't promise this is the final iteration tho! Lol

image_3.jpeg

• Like 2
Marc.The.Shark

That middle rock structure looks like a monster crawling out of the ground... Or am I just crazy?

Ummm, okay! Lol. Hitting the sauce a little last night Muraki? :) But there is a creepy face in that rock...

image_5.jpeg

WOW I really like that stand and how you made it into something better. Very inspirational. I will have to borrow the idea.

Thanks, feel free. Way more sturdy than store bought & a lot less work than building from scratch. Craigslist was good to me for $15! Lol
Marc.The.Shark

I see it too, with like telescopic big black eyes.... and a Jabba-the-slug kinda mouth.... yup

Hahaha, guess I don't have that big of an imagination!

• Like 2
Marc.The.Shark

How's the tank coming along? When ya gettin er wet?

Still in the same spot, gonna be a slow process now that I'm going with new rock. I've epoxied the two outside rock structures together, still eyeing the center 'Monster' rock to make sure it's how I want it. Been working a lot, too. This tank needs to go in the same place as the one I have now, nook next to the fireplace. So, I'm going to go buy a 5.5gal & transfer all my coral to that while I make the switch. Take the 8 gal down, put the 20 up, cycle, then transfer livestock. My ATO container from Oceanbox should be here today! Yay. The only part that I regret is now the returns will be somewhat visible because I'm not going to use my existing rock & break the water surface. That was going to hide the returns, but it'll be better once filled with coral. No more than a regular overflow box would. I was planning on it being hidden, but fish i want will surely jump. Ordered a screen top too, that should be close to being done and purchased a media reactor & Tunze 9001, gonna do away with the Cheato/Macro & just run those in sump & a frag rack, less mess.

• Like 2

Still in the same spot, gonna be a slow process now that I'm going with new rock. I've epoxied the two outside rock structures together, still eyeing the center 'Monster' rock to make sure it's how I want it. Been working a lot, too. This tank needs to go in the same place as the one I have now, nook next to the fireplace. So, I'm going to go buy a 5.5gal & transfer all my coral to that while I make the switch. Take the 8 gal down, put the 20 up, cycle, then transfer livestock. My ATO container from Oceanbox should be here today! Yay. The only part that I regret is now the returns will be somewhat visible because I'm not going to use my existing rock & break the water surface. That was going to hide the returns, but it'll be better once filled with coral. No more than a regular overflow box would. I was planning on it being hidden, but fish i want will surely jump. Ordered a screen top too, that should be close to being done and purchased a media reactor & Tunze 9001, gonna do away with the Cheato/Macro & just run those in sump & a frag rack, less mess.

Sounds like a solid plan- what size ATO are they building for you? Why have them build when so many are available?

Marc.The.Shark

Sounds like a solid plan- what size ATO are they building for you? Why have them build when so many are available?

Just couldn't find the dimensions I needed, had to be only 5" wide, all the 5 gal ones were 6" wide unfortunately, I'll end up with roughly 4gal

• Like 1

Just couldn't find the dimensions I needed, had to be only 5" wide, all the 5 gal ones were 6" wide unfortunately, I'll end up with roughly 4gal

Custom ATO- nice!

Marc.The.Shark

I was just showing my husband the sexy that is your sump.

edit: sounds indecent, showing a man another man's sump... I mean really...

Now that's funny!!!!!

Your package has been delivered :rolleyes:

slim overflow box to cover up those bulkheads? black bg to make everything blend in?

Nah, I'm gonna roll like this, didn't want the black background look to begin with. It'll be ok once I overload it with coral! Lol
  • Like 1

Looking sharp- that ATO is sweet. I replaced the minimax pump with a slightly larger Sicce pump to get a little more flow through it and it was quieter.

Marc.The.Shark

Looking sharp- that ATO is sweet. I replaced the minimax pump with a slightly larger Sicce pump to get a little more flow through it and it was quieter.

Thanks for the info, seeing how I got the minimax on sale for $50, I wouldn't mind upgrading the pump if it's not enuf! Lol. How the shoulder doing? And I see your hometown is all over the news!

• Like 1

Thanks for the info, seeing how I got the minimax on sale for $50, I wouldn't mind upgrading the pump if it's not enuf! Lol. How the shoulder doing? And I see your hometown is all over the news!

I picked up this one - nice little pump. Not sure if that link will work- just trying it on the iPad

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/sicce-mi-mouse-1-8ft-head-82gph.html

Collarbone is doing well, ribs are healed but that damn plate- I feel it in there. You can feel the screws- make things feel a little "odd" and "tight". Hopefully once I start skating and moving around more I'll get used to it.

Damn, poor Flint, just when the city was actually looking to start doing better and spending some money on itself. Too bad- this is horrible. I see Pearljam gave the city 300k and started a fund for them- that's pretty kick ass?

Marc.The.Shark

I picked up this one - nice little pump. Not sure if that link will work- just trying it on the iPad http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/sicce-mi-mouse-1-8ft-head-82gph.html

Collarbone is doing well, ribs are healed but that damn plate- I feel it in there. You can feel the screws- make things feel a little "odd" and "tight". Hopefully once I start skating and moving around more I'll get used to it.

Damn, poor Flint, just when the city was actually looking to start doing better and spending some money on itself. Too bad- this is horrible. I see Pearljam gave the city 300k and started a fund for them- that's pretty kick ass

Yeah, too bad. I read an article that said its gonna take like 15 years to replace all those lead pipes, and that's with as many crews as they can get. Damage is done now, no quick fixes.

I'll check out that pump, thanks.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...