ReefCleaners.org

Sleeping with the Fishes [a pe(s)t project]

holy carp

That video is really cool! And it is encouraging me to be more patient with my chalice. I had no idea they actually ate that slowly, I just assumed mine weren't doing well because they weren't eating :blush:

• Like 2

Well I tried to make another sped up video of the chalice eating with mixed results.

This one boils down about a half hour of footage into a one minute clip... This time the chalice eats some frozen PE Mysis. Enjoy!

• Like 5

Well, Chili has had the surgeries on both her legs. There is still too much scar tissue for her to walk on one of them, so she has to go for a follow-up procedure, but it should be much less involved than the original surgeries that put all the bone back together. Changing my sig as almost enough money has been raised.

vfwg7d.jpg

Thanks to all.

• Like 1

So it's finally time to get serious about doing something with that elegance coral. As much as I love its movement in the tank, it's simply getting to be too big. For a while I had considered selling it, but since it's the first coral I ever got, I am leaning towards putting it into its own tank. Well, not entirely its own. I'm considering putting an AIO in my girlfriend's apartment for this elegance and a clam and probably 1 fish. It should be simple and clean.

So I'm interested what everyone recommends for a tank!

My thoughts so far were to go with a rimless glass cube AIO.

Innovative Marine Nuvo Fusion 10:

Innovative-Marine-10-Gallon-NUVO-Fusion-

Pros:

• Only $100
  • Compact

Cons:

• Size may be tight, given this elegance is already about 7" diameter and growing...

JBJ Rimless 30:

JBJ-Nano-Cube-RL-Rimless-Biotope-Aquariu

Pros:

• Large enough for elegance to grow
  • Nice shallow look

Cons:

• $300 expensive
  • may be bigger than necessary

CAD Lights Mini 18G:

18Gmini_LRG.jpg

Pros:

• Size seems appropriate
  • on sale for $175 shipped

Cons:

• Deeper form factor may be harder to have clam and elegance?

Appreciate any input - especially regarding lighting/filtration needed for something like this.

• Like 2

DROP OFF TIME. :wub:

Is there a place for the peninsula as a room divider or accent piece? I feel like it'd be great to get that view. If not, the panoramic drop off sounds good. High light for the clam, moderate light for the coral, and plenty of nooks and crannies for a small fish to hide in. Unfortunately, they're both twice as expensive as the Cadlights on sale.

If you can find the rock structure (maybe a decent mag rock and clam hammock?), you should be able to figure out a way to situate both in the Cadlights..

Yeah, the peninsula is definitely a beautiful tank (I may be biased, but its design feels pretty similar to my own tank). But the dimensions are too long for the dresser it would sit on.

The peninsula 14 is an interesting option. Or the cad lights. I don't think a dropoff is happening in the space we have.

Also, what type of filtration would really be needed for a tank with a single coral and a single fish? I'm guessing skimmerless with some polyfilter would suffice, but I'm not familiar with all-in-one filter setups.

So in a slight change of direction, I'm now exploring the idea of getting one of the new tanks (the 60U) by Ultum Nature Systems and have a custom AIO box built to fit in the end of it. Why keep it simple when you can make it so much more complicated? :lol:

UNS_Tank_Specs_35a10ee3-78b8-4689-b29a-a

I figure that after about a 4" wide insert, the 'display' section will be 20"W x 14" x 14", which should give plenty of space to that elegance to grow for some time to come.

The sump can house a media basket and a block of marine pure or xport. A Kessil A80 on top should suffice, and my old DC runner with a spin stream should make sufficient flow.

• Like 3

Well, originally the shipping for that aquarium seemed a deterrent... $75 to ship a $130 tank seemed redonk. But this weekend they raised the price to $150 but offered free shipping. Done! The Ultum 60U tank has been ordered, along with all kinds of other stuff from BRS and Marine Depot. I'll build this tank for the elegance in my girlfriend's apartment. She only wants one fish, so maybe I'll have to ask her to start a "Sleeping with the Fish" thread. :)

When the tank arrives, I'll get measurements so someone can build an acrylic AIO insert to fit.

In the meantime, we'll have time to figure things out as we cycle the new tank, but the question

I pose is this:

• Do I carefully remove the elegance from the rock it's currently on and put it on a new rock in order to be as algae/pest free as possible? (Not sure if the elegance skeleton attaches to the rock more than the original glue spots)
  • Or do I leave it on that rock and try to sterilize it as much as possible with h2o2 to kill any turf/bubble algae spores? (Is dipping a whole rock an option? Seems not.)
  • Or do I leave it as is and hope it doesn't become an issue? (OK, that's not a real option)
  • Like 2

Ultum tank arrives Monday.

AI Prime HD, xport block, nano skimmer, media basket are already here.

Once the tank arrives, I'm going to take some measurements to have Octo Aquatics build a custom AIO insert.

Pukani is curing... and smelly.

• Like 3

Your tank looks awesome! I'm in a similar situation with my elegance coral needing a lot of room around it, so I've isolated it to a corner. However, I feel like that's doing it a disservice and deserve a central position in a tank. I'm not sure I'd get it its own tank, though--maybe a bigger tank where it can have more space to be a center piece.

I'm pretty sure they don't attach themselves to rocks, so you should be able to detach it so long as the process doesn't damage its skeleton (i.e, the glue may have bonded too strongly depending on what you used).

• Like 1