Innovative Marine Aquariums

Stella's 12 Long - Bob, Bobii and Dotii's Weedy Adventure

ReefWeeds

Good suggestion!!! I like the idea of macros - and they'll add some movement. I was thinking some sun corals and such, but I really don't know much about them yet. Haven't done much research.

They require alot of feedings, something a smaller system without heavy filtration cannot handle. Sun corals could work since you can feed them mysis when your feeding your fish, but if you look into nps gorgs or anything you need to start target/broadcast small particle foods which will quickly dirty your water.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know about deadspots, I ended up talking with Dave and ordered the 36" light. This will be my very first "True" build and my last. I'm trying to avoid redoing anything. By the way, the background looks sick with the blues hitting it.

Thanks!!! I'm happy with how the background turned out. It gives such a different look during the different lighting cycles. I'm really enjoying it!

They require alot of feedings, something a smaller system without heavy filtration cannot handle. Sun corals could work since you can feed them mysis when your feeding your fish, but if you look into nps gorgs or anything you need to start target/broadcast small particle foods which will quickly dirty your water.

Good advice!!! Yeah, definitely not the NPS gorgs. I'll have to look at what other corals are NPS like the sun corals. I am going to put mushrooms over on the right side as well ( :wub: them!!) and they don't need a ton of light, so that will give a nice pop of color and some movement as well.

I really wish I could start to add more then I already have. Making me jealous. I don't have a light to put over my display. :(

That does make it tough! I bought this razor nano for my 6 gallon and then moved most of that over (still have a few stragglers I need to get in tomorrow).

That does make it tough! I bought this razor nano for my 6 gallon and then moved most of that over (still have a few stragglers I need to get in tomorrow).

When I start to move everything over, I still have my RBTA to move as well. Nervous to move the nem to soon, so I will be keeping the Spec V up and running for a few more months during the transition. Everything else I am certain will be fine though, Will be a long drip process to transition them. You acclimating everything you are moving over?

- I have to since my Spec V has killer Nitrates according to 2 different brand tests x.x

When I start to move everything over, I still have my RBTA to move as well. Nervous to move the nem to soon, so I will be keeping the Spec V up and running for a few more months during the transition. Everything else I am certain will be fine though, Will be a long drip process to transition them. You acclimating everything you are moving over?

- I have to since my Spec V has kill Nitrates according to 2 different brand tests x.x

Luckily my water parameters are about the same in the tanks I'm moving stuff from, so not acclimating - which is also why I didn't do a WC after my tank cycled since nitrates are around 5-6 and my other tanks seem to run around 4.. Also, I think corals take a move better than an invert.

Photo of the sponge behind the island structure:

Tv8AivP.jpg

And one more photo for tonight. I figured I'd showcase my BEAUTIFUL light fixture. Still have a bunch more to move into this tank and also need to actually glue up the stuff on the sand bed, but I need to move some rocks from the biocube in first.

D1JuQSr.jpg

does Maxspect know that NB copied their design? :D

does Maxspect know that NB copied their design? :D

And this particular light doesn't even have the awesome colors that Dave usually builds! POC razors. ;) Actually, they're not. I just prefer the nano box lights.

That was worth the wait! Looking good and when you get things glued in place and your NB it will be amazing. Great job!

Thanks Dawn!!! Arce had a great idea. I'm going to use macros to fill in areas. I think that pop of color will be nice as will the movement. I love all the macros you have in your Adam and Eve abode.

jedimasterben

Keep in mind that most NPS corals and most sponges need good water flow or they'll recede, so just make sure that little spot between the rocks has good movement.

And this particular light doesn't even have the awesome colors that Dave usually builds! POC razors. ;) Actually, they're not. I just prefer the nano box lights.

Thanks Dawn!!! Arce had a great idea. I'm going to use macros to fill in areas. I think that pop of color will be nice as will the movement. I love all the macros you have in your Adam and Eve abode.

I saw that Arce suggested macros and that is a great idea. They like light in the blue spectrum 6000-6500 range and I am finding them pretty easy. They are actually a nutrient export when you are pruning them and need little in the way of dosing except magnesium and maybe an occasional squirting of iron. Mine get most of what they need from WCs but I do bigger than most folks since I have the seahorses. Anyway I could send you some dragon's breath and red grape caulerpa for a splash of red. You can have it for free and just pay the shipping.

I saw that Arce suggested macros and that is a great idea. They like light in the blue spectrum 6000-6500 range and I am finding them pretty easy. They are actually a nutrient export when you are pruning them and need little in the way of dosing except magnesium and maybe an occasional squirting of iron. Mine get most of what they need from WCs but I do bigger than most folks since I have the seahorses. Anyway I could send you some dragon's breath and red grape caulerpa for a splash of red. You can have it for free and just pay the shipping.

That would be AWESOME! I've been looking for rose petal macro like yours as well. Do you remember where you got it? Let me know your paypal and I'll send you shipping $$.

Keep in mind that most NPS corals and most sponges need good water flow or they'll recede, so just make sure that little spot between the rocks has good movement.

Good tip! I didn't realize that about sponges especially. I'll have to check the flow where I put the sponge. If it isn't good, there's another place where it will work well :ninja:

That would be AWESOME! I've been looking for rose petal macro like yours as well. Do you remember where you got it? Let me know your paypal and I'll send you shipping $$.

:ninja:

I got the rose petal as a hitchhiker on a mushroom rock from my lfs. It's a bugger to get to attach to rock but I have it in 2 separate places now. When I send the macros I will try and chip it off the mushroom rock. I probably should wait for slightly cooler weather before sending you the macros however.

No rush!! That would be awesome! I got a pice of purple playing sponge from Zia that I can't wait to see grow out.

Playing =plating

natalia_la_loca

No rush!! That would be awesome! I got a pice of purple playing sponge from Zia that I can't wait to see grow out.

Playing =plating

purple plating sponges are great. I have one from the LFS in my damsel tank and it's getting really big.

Sweeet! Color and critters yay! NPS: besides sun corals, dendros or blanos are good too, all of these are a pop of color and require daily feedings. In a 12G water quality can easily be affected though, so low light as opposed to no light corals might be a better option. Especially since this is an AIO. Another possibility is a chalice coral - they actually prefer slightly shaded areas.

- I have to since my Spec V has killer Nitrates according to 2 different brand tests x.x

Muraki - did you do any mods to the Spec V? I'll have to find your thread.

Sweeet! Color and critters yay! NPS: besides sun corals, dendros or blanos are good too, all of these are a pop of color and require daily feedings. In a 12G water quality can easily be affected though, so low light as opposed to no light corals might be a better option. Especially since this is an AIO. Another possibility is a chalice coral - they actually prefer slightly shaded areas.

GREAT suggestions. Thanks Kat!!!

I did, but I did not maintain the sandbed well enough. Been removing the sand little by little the past few months and it has been helping drastically. I have the Minijet 606, and the Intank media basket with an MP10. The build thread for th Spec was never completed. So don't bother going to it. Was 100% a rookie back then. I've done more reading this time around.

Photo of the sponge behind the island structure:

Tv8AivP.jpg

And one more photo for tonight. I figured I'd showcase my BEAUTIFUL light fixture. Still have a bunch more to move into this tank and also need to actually glue up the stuff on the sand bed, but I need to move some rocks from the biocube in first.

D1JuQSr.jpg

Finally pictures looks good.

Finally pictures looks good.

Right now, it's a mess. i'm trying to figure out where to put things so I've just got stuff EVERYWHERE. I did find a mushroom I thought melted away behind a rock I moved from the 6 gallon so that was a good find!

At least you know how to take a good picture unlike the crappy pictures I post.

Oh believe me, I do not! I think your photos are way better than mine!

Archived