Innovative Marine Aquariums

Custom Acrylic Work, NEW 5.5G Sump Kit, Sexier 3G S-AIO

MrNanoReef

Cencalfishguy56

Not a war at all. Cencal doesn't know his ass from his elbow and Harry doesn't know what the Post Office is. So it is all good. ;)

Awww braap buddy I love you too :)

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And Braap is quick-tempered and patronizing. See, we're all good friends here at at NR! :);)

Hey you gotta treat a child like a child. Let me know when you turn 18 and go to your first Post Office.

MrNanoReef

So, acrylic Huh?

I must be a total idiot- but I still don't get it. :(

If it's internal, what is the point if the black acrylic pieces in the sides? Wouldn't the main separator piece just be silicones to the glass? Why the sides as well.....

That is because this is going to be installed on the side of the tank (not the back), so its nice to cover up the sides, also it is required because the media racks need two walls.

MrNanoReef

I'd say give the guy a break. He just started. I mean this thread literally started like two weeks ago. alot of vendors start out like this.

couldn't agree more, been trying to explained the situation :)

Not a war at all. Cencal doesn't know his ass from his elbow and Harry doesn't know what the Post Office is. So it is all good. ;)

I just laugh so hard...what are you guys? teens?

Nope. Just like to give each other a hard time. Well Harry is a teen. He needs his balls busted.

MrNanoReef

But seriously. I like what you are doing here MrReefer. Going to have you make me a dosing container soon. Want one that will mount on the side of my sump probably.

Thanks man. Looking forward to it. I hope it's not too big to be able to make it a hang-on.

HarryPotter

Nope. Just like to give each other a hard time. Well Harry is a teen. He needs his balls busted.

And Braap needs balls TO bust!

HeeHee

Dying for a custom ATO. PayPal is slowly climbing- soon I hope!

Cencalfishguy56

Damn lol yall are too funny, Harry hit up those highschool parties and live life! California is where it's at with our beach parties

HarryPotter

Damn lol yall are too funny, Harry hit up those highschool parties and live life! California is where it's at with our beach parties

Ha! I guess you've never been to South Beach ;)

Living life to its finest. Getting good grades, not poisoning my brain, doing what I love and loving what I do.

Cencalfishguy56

Ha! I guess you've never been to South Beach ;)

Living life to its finest. Getting good grades, not poisoning my brain, doing what I love and loving what I do.

I would love to go there someday! But I got good grades and still partied and played ball haha

Nano-reef is pretty relaxed about most things... You're probably fine using the site to generate buzz around a small commercial venture like this. Just don't go trying it on RC or some other forums - some are a lot more strict. Personally I like that N-R fosters a bit of an entrepreneurial approach to reefing as it generates excitement about the hobby as well as new innovation.

Anyways, your work looks nice! Definitely impressed. As for the name, don't you think something like "Oceanbox Acrylic Designs" or something might be more suitable? Just a thought - since everything you're looking to do seems to be focused on acrylic work.

Liking the color scheme too... The black and orange looks bad ass - I realize you don't see the orange but it looks cool in the pictures ;)

Finally, regarding the AIO unit, don't forget to clip the back corners a little bit to accommodate the silicone in the tank. Also as a suggestion it might be a good idea to incorporate an easy way to silicone the unit into the tank. I know first hand that it's not the easiest thing to do (a silicone smudge on the new acrylic would be horrible!) and not within the capabilities of everyone. So it would be cool to have something as simple as a double wall thickness where the silicone bead is or possibly a bracket of some sort that could be attached with silicone in a less than perfect manner and then the AIO unit attaches to the bracket. Just a thought ;)

MrNanoReef

Nano-reef is pretty relaxed about most things... You're probably fine using the site to generate buzz around a small commercial venture like this. Just don't go trying it on RC or some other forums - some are a lot more strict. Personally I like that N-R fosters a bit of an entrepreneurial approach to reefing as it generates excitement about the hobby as well as new innovation.

Anyways, your work looks nice! Definitely impressed. As for the name, don't you think something like "Oceanbox Acrylic Designs" or something might be more suitable? Just a thought - since everything you're looking to do seems to be focused on acrylic work.

Liking the color scheme too... The black and orange looks bad ass - I realize you don't see the orange but it looks cool in the pictures ;)

Finally, regarding the AIO unit, don't forget to clip the back corners a little bit to accommodate the silicone in the tank. Also as a suggestion it might be a good idea to incorporate an easy way to silicone the unit into the tank. I know first hand that it's not the easiest thing to do (a silicone smudge on the new acrylic would be horrible!) and not within the capabilities of everyone. So it would be cool to have something as simple as a double wall thickness where the silicone bead is or possibly a bracket of some sort that could be attached with silicone in a less than perfect manner and then the AIO unit attaches to the bracket. Just a thought ;)

Thanks bro, all taken into consideration. May need to make improvement as it goes. As for the name, I like to keep it short and easy to remember, someone had suggested that I'd imagine how it would look on a T-Shirt or how it sounds when you say it in full, 3 words seems very long and even Oceanbox Acrylics just doesn't flow to me.

I'd say give the guy a break. He just started. I mean this thread literally started like two weeks ago. alot of vendors start out like this.

I agree with this.

So, acrylic Huh?

I must be a total idiot- but I still don't get it. :(

If it's internal, what is the point if the black acrylic pieces in the sides? Wouldn't the main separator piece just be silicones to the glass? Why the sides as well.....

It hides all the junk in the back. So, when looking at the tank, you can't see the media basket, the pump and all the algae on the glass that I probably won't clean in the AIO chambers.

Easy way to install baffles/aio chambers. Put it in the tank where you want it. Mark the area behind the wall or baffle with sharpie. Pull out the AIO or baffle and put silicone right on that line. Slide the baffle or AIO right up to the silicone. Nice clean silicone adhesion and no silicone in the display portion to potentially mess up.

MrNanoReef

I agree with this.

It hides all the junk in the back. So, when looking at the tank, you can't see the media basket, the pump and all the algae on the glass that I probably won't clean in the AIO chambers.

I just thought of a better way to silicone your AIO so water doesn't seep in between the side panels and also a much cleaner install.

Here is what I'd do:

1. Place the AIO in place, use painter masking tape and tape around the middle seam in back leaving about 3mm on each side. Tape only the front of the bottom-front seam of the AIO (we're not gluing the two bottom sides or outer back seams for now).
  2. Now remove the AIO and put a bead of silicone in between those taped lines. For the bottom it doesn't matter if you get some into the back as it will be hidden anyway.
  3. Next install the AIO in place and make sure its aligned with those silicone bead and level with your tank. Once it's in place, smooth out the silicone bead with your finger and remove the tape right away. You might have to tape the box to the tank to hold it in place until the silicone is fully cured.
  4. When removing the tapes, be careful and don't let the tape touch the tank anywhere since it has silicone residue on it. We don't want any on the glass.
  5. Let the silicone cured for at least 2-3 hours.
  6. Now tape around the two front sides of the AIO (this is the side of the AIO that is perpendicular to front/back of tank), again leaving about 2mm each side for a nice thin bead of silicone, put some silicone bead along the corner and smooth out with your finger, then remove the tape right away. Do one corner at a time. Always remove the tapes right away before it cured a skin.
  7. Once that's done, you can tape the two corner in the back, and do the same.

If you do this correctly, it'll be a very clean and professional install.

MrNanoReef

I agree with this.

Just shipped out your AIO kit :)...Now i'm curious to see how it goes together with your setup.

Christopher Marks

The Nano-Reef.com Community has a long history of launching hobby grown businesses, many of our current sponsors got started right here. MrReefer81 has been in touch with me and we are discussing sponsorship opportunities.

Just shipped out your AIO kit :)...Now i'm curious to see how it goes together with your setup.

Tank is coming on the 7th! woo hoo!

MrNanoReef

The Nano-Reef.com Community has a long history of launching hobby grown businesses, many of our current sponsors got started right here. MrReefer81 has been in touch with me and we are discussing sponsorship opportunities.

Thank you Chris for taking the time to response. I really appreciate your understanding and know that I'm making every effort I can until I'm able to make this commitment.

and thank you everyone for all the support so far!

Tank is coming on the 7th! woo hoo!

Your AIO is coming on the 7th as well!!! How did we do that? I swear I'm not working for Marine Depot...lol

wow nice progress cant wait to see more in the near future. keep it up the good work

Thank you. I will do my best :)

Marc.The.Shark

So I'm doing a new build, a 12 long (shocker! I know!) and contacted MrReefer about a custom color sump kit to go in my stand. Seems he is willing to do a kit in red for me. I figured I'd continue the convo here...

I painted the inside of my stand all white, and also the trim on the 10gal sump tank. Should look killer with red baffles. My question is, do you already have red acrylic? I see they make it in translucent & regular. I think the regular red would be brighter and stand out more against the white. Also there is flourescent red. Your thoughts?

MrNanoReef

So I'm doing a new build, a 12 long (shocker! I know!) and contacted MrReefer about a custom color sump kit to go in my stand. Seems he is willing to do a kit in red for me. I figured I'd continue the convo here...

I painted the inside of my stand all white, and also the trim on the 10gal sump tank. Should look killer with red baffles. My question is, do you already have red acrylic? I see they make it in translucent & regular. I think the regular red would be brighter and stand out more against the white. Also there is flourescent red. Your thoughts?

Hi Marc,

Glad you're doing a 12g setup, it's a new revolution for sure, looks like you have a great theme going...

Don't worry about the color, I know exactly what you need, I just have a great idea for your red/white theme and will discuss details with you via PM with you. You def don't want fluorescent red unless you like hot pink...lol

I'm thinking I made the original kit a bit too high with water level at 8.75", so it filled about 3/4 of the tank. I'm thinking it's safer to go about 7-8" water level which allow 2.5-3 gallons of water volume for emergency drain from the main tank.

Marc.The.Shark

Yeah, let's go an inch lower on the baffles for safety. Def don't want the flourescent then, just regular red. All baffles red with the white egg crate I think would look good with all the white in the stand. Wanted it bright in the stand cause my current one is black & dismal. Check out the pic, not finished yet, but stained & inside painted white along with tank trim. At some point I'll add frag rack in middle chamber front & I can just use some white egg crate.

post-12858-0-57983700-1435942509_thumb.jpg

Archived