Cultivated Reef

My 20 Long Journey

Mom2many

thecoralbeauty

I love your scape. I've said it before, but it's very inviting and has interesting depth to it.

Happy to see the remaining rock flower doing well. and WOW that that green birds nest!

• Like 1

I love your scape. I've said it before, but it's very inviting and has interesting depth to it.

Happy to see the remaining rock flower doing well. and WOW that that green birds nest!

Thank you so much! I like your rockwork as well. Your tank looks so much bigger than a 20 long in the pictures. Rock flowers are quickly becoming one of my favorite things in my tank. The yellow one is still pale but I think is going to make it. I could not believe how fast the green birds nest is growing. It is fragile and the tips break off very easily. Just ask me how I know!

Very nice looking tank, how are your crabs doing? I'm thinking about getting some. They are really unique looking and don't seem to bother coral like other crabs

Thank you! My crabs are doing very well. You should gets some. They are very entertaining and are shy at first but warm up quickly. They seem hardy. I have had them before in tanks of my past and have never been trouble makers. The only ones I have ever had are the blue ones and they filter feed and clean my sand off and on all day long.

It looks so pretty! The new corals will be perfect :).

Thank you Gena! I am excited about the new corals. I love your new additions and cant wait to see the new ones on the way!

• Like 1

Wow! The tank is looking so good. I really like the photos showing the growth of the corals.

I appreciate that so much! I like tanking pictures of the tank over time for comparison. It is amazing looking back at pictures when I started this tank. I though things would never fill in. Little by little. :)

The pink poci is sure pretty. I've only seen the green one myself. I also love your rock work. I look at my 10 g now and go..eh.

• Like 1

The pink poci is sure pretty. I've only seen the green one myself. I also love your rock work. I look at my 10 g now and go..eh.

I really like my pink one too. It is the first one I have ever seen in that color as well. It is growing very fast.

I got my rocks from Reef Cleaners. I told them I was setting up a 20 long and they gave me some great pieces with a lot of character to work with. :)

I have been over all your tank threads and they all are wonderful! Cant wait to see how the new one develops. :)

• Like 1

I really like my pink one too. It is the first one I have ever seen in that color as well. It is growing very fast.

I got my rocks from Reef Cleaners. I told them I was setting up a 20 long and they gave me some great pieces with a lot of character to work with. :)

I have been over all your tank threads and they all are wonderful! Cant wait to see how the new one develops. :)

Thanks. I'm going to move my pipe organ over today I think.

• Like 1

Everything looks really nice! Good luck with the Red Planet, I'm 0 for 2 so far. :(

I thought red planets were supposed to be one of the easier acros to grow?? That's the only acro I have and it's finally starting to grow and encrust onto the plug after about 3 weeks in my frag tank.

• Like 1

Thanks. I'm going to move my pipe organ over today I think.

I love pipe organ. I have always had trouble with it in the past. I get algae in between the little stems for some reason. Maybe because I dont have any hermits to pick inbetween them.

Cant wait to see it!

Everything looks really nice! Good luck with the Red Planet, I'm 0 for 2 so far. :(

Yikes! Sorry to hear that. I hate it when I purchase something and it does not make it no matter what the price I paid for it. I hope it does well but I have found through out the years that some things do well in certian tanks and not in others. I could not keep clove polyps of any kind in my 29 gallon to save my life. They always melted away with in weeks. And I could not grow xenia in my 15 gallon when I had it.

I thought red planets were supposed to be one of the easier acros to grow?? That's the only acro I have and it's finally starting to grow and encrust onto the plug after about 3 weeks in my frag tank.

I had also heard this and that is one reason why I purchased it. But Montipora is suposed to do great under my lighting as well and even though it has grown a lot the color is blah. So moving toward things that do well in my system. Glad to hear your Red Planet is growing.

the tallest gorgoian could not be placed any more perfectly to bring your whole scape together. Great job

Thank you so much! I really placed it there for flow as it wanted more than the first placement I had it in. I liked it much better in this placement as well.

• Like 1
thecoralbeauty

I wish i had kept my little frag, i would have given it to you. My only complaint with red planet has been that it encrusts SO MUCH before it grows anywhere else.

• Like 1

The rock work on this tank is great! :)

Thank you so very much! I just looked thru your new 40 breeder thread. Everything looks really good. Love the buble coral. I wouldnt mind sleeping on that one! I bet you are enjoying more space for more corals. It all looks wonderful.

I wish i had kept my little frag, i would have given it to you. My only complaint with red planet has been that it encrusts SO MUCH before it grows anywhere else.

Aww.. Thanks. No worries. So it kind of tables then? grows across the rockwork with little points?

• Like 1
thecoralbeauty

it it a tabling acro, yea, it will grow up to where its happy and then grow flat with points sticking up. mine just liked to encrust a lot for some reason haha

• Like 1

Yes i used to have a 20 long!!

Yup, I remember your 20 long! I have been reading along with many peoples tank threads for years and years. When I was trying to decide how to get back into the hobby and do it as economically and as mainainance free as possible, it was all the 20 longs on here that got my attention. Some sexy tanks for sure! My second choice was a 40 breeder. But I knew I would not want to keep up with the larger water changes and I would spend way more money on corals with all that realastate to fill up! I love your up grade. Cant wait to see it marture but it is smashing right now!

• Like 1

Yup, I remember your 20 long! I have been reading along with many peoples tank threads for years and years. When I was trying to decide how to get back into the hobby and do it as economically and as mainainance free as possible, it was all the 20 longs on here that got my attention. Some sexy tanks for sure! My second choice was a 40 breeder. But I knew I would not want to keep up with the larger water changes and I would spend way more money on corals with all that realastate to fill up! I love your up grade. Cant wait to see it marture but it is smashing right now!

The 20 long is really ideal for someone that is looking for a smaller sized tank! It's small but not too small. And the length is the best!
  • Like 2

The 20 long is really ideal for someone that is looking for a smaller sized tank! It's small but not too small. And the length is the best!

I agree. Also many of the 20 longs look like a 55 gallon to me in so many of the pictures. They look so big to me. It is a very versitile tank. The 40 breeder has the same perks but has some added depth (front to back) to it that is nice to play with. A friend of mine just loved watching me go back into the hobby and seeing my tank deveolope. She opted for the 40 breeder for her first tank because it is shallow and has a lot of depth to it. Now I have been enjoying watching her tank develope.

• Like 2

Only 5 gallon water changes! thats easy

• Like 1