Coral Vue Hydros

My 20 Long Journey

Mom2many

I'd say you can try move him to where the sexies are not as if it's already trying to recover, the dancing on them could hamper its efforts. Doesn't sound like the light is too bright so that's good. Don't worry about the not feeding. They are strong. While I had dino and was trying not to add more nutrients to the water I did not feed them for 2 mos and they looked no different. They'll be ok. I'd once a week try to put a little mysis on it's tentacles, if it doesn't eat it just give it someone else, but just try. As it is I only feed once a week now.

• Like 3

Any signs of attaching today?

Thank you so much for asking.

No, he looks much worse. Today is tank maintanance day and when I got up he was all shrived up and sideways. His mouth was gapping badly. At least the size of a dime. I could see all inside white tissue. He was still in the divit I placed him in. I cleaned the tank and did a water change. I was gone for the day out antiquing with my dad and when I got home there was no change in him even though the whole tank was puffy and happy from the tank cleaning. :( I am just going to leave him alone and pray he heals/recovers from what ever has happened to him.

I'd say you can try move him to where the sexies are not as if it's already trying to recover, the dancing on them could hamper its efforts. Doesn't sound like the light is too bright so that's good. Don't worry about the not feeding. They are strong. While I had dino and was trying not to add more nutrients to the water I did not feed them for 2 mos and they looked no different. They'll be ok. I'd once a week try to put a little mysis on it's tentacles, if it doesn't eat it just give it someone else, but just try. As it is I only feed once a week now.

I was going to move him today back over where he was but he has shrived up so much and shrunk down into the divit I had placed him in I can not get him out. I have not seem the sexy shrimp on him anymore but they may be at night or when I am not watching. That is so good to know about the feeding routine you have done and do. I feed them alot three times a week. I guess I should cut back. I just love seeing them grab the food with thier tenticles and stuff their mouths full. :)

At this point I dont think there is anything I can do. The yellow one I bought at the same time, is attached but pale. I think that one will be ok in time. I can only watch and wait with the green one.

Do you think he will crash my tank if he dies? I hate to fish him out to soon and want to give him every chance possible. Do they just melt away when they die?

Too much feeding can be the reason but you said you couldn't get it to eat, right?. If they eat too much it rots in their insides. I think I'd give it a couple days more but get it out if not. It can hurt the rest of the tank by releasing toxins. Doesn't sound good. It should be responsive in some way. Maybe it was will when you got it too.

• Like 1

Too much feeding can be the reason but you said you couldn't get it to eat, right?. If they eat too much it rots in their insides. I think I'd give it a couple days more but get it out if not. It can hurt the rest of the tank by releasing toxins. Doesn't sound good. It should be responsive in some way. Maybe it was will when you got it too.

Yikes! I did not know I could over feed them!

You are correct. I have never gotten these two new ones to eat.

He looks terrible this morning.

In the bottom of this picture it does look like his foot is finally attached but he has his top shriveled up and facing into the rock hole he is in. He is all white and pink. :(

post-87944-0-16413000-1436790170_thumb.jpg

I just flipped him over. He is dead and was slimmy and falling apart. I took him out with a turkey baster and a good bit of cloudy goo went all over in the tank. I am running filter floss, chem pure and phos ban. I hope I dont have issues from it all. sigh. Will buy water today to do a water change just in case.

Sorry :(. It didn't sound or look good but I was hoping for a recovery. Where did you get these two anemones from?

Thank you so much.

I dont have any salt water stores close by. I live in the North Georgia Mountians so the closest ones I can get to are an hour drive away. I either have to go to Atlanta/Marrieta area or to Chattanooga.

I got those two from a fish store in Chattanooga TN called Bermuda Triangle. I have never had an issue with anything I have bought there before and I can straight home.

The other one I got at the same time is pale but attached to the rockwork finally. It is not in bright light and still wont eat. I hope at least that one makes it.

I just got home from being out all day and nothing in my tank looks like the death have bothered it. All the corals are puffed up and open so I hope no ammonia spike occures. sigh.

• Like 1

Thank you so much.

I dont have any salt water stores close by. I live in the North Georgia Mountians so the closest ones I can get to are an hour drive away. I either have to go to Atlanta/Marrieta area or to Chattanooga.

I got those two from a fish store in Chattanooga TN called Bermuda Triangle. I have never had an issue with anything I have bought there before and I can straight home.

The other one I got at the same time is pale but attached to the rockwork finally. It is not in bright light and still wont eat. I hope at least that one makes it.

I just got home from being out all day and nothing in my tank looks like the death have bothered it. All the corals are puffed up and open so I hope no ammonia spike occures. sigh.

Just do a water change and you should be just fine :).

• Like 1

We live a pretty simple life here in the mountains. Try to keep things low key. We dont have any piped in TV and have a video game system but my children can only play it for a little while on Sundays. They usually opt not to, as they are to busy doing other things. My children play outside alot. They do things like ride ponies, swim and have hobbies like knitting looms, doing stop animation, and playing with and caring for their pets.

My 15 year old daugher has been saving her money and decided to buy a 10 gallon tank and set it up for three African dwarf frogs. She was trying to decide on what one fish to put in with them, when she saw Flowermama's new addition, Sebastian. She did some research and found them to be compatable. She bought a little Betta today and named him Mark.

Her new fish Mark. My cell phone does not do him justice and he was hiding way in the back shyly.

post-87944-0-91706400-1436838429_thumb.jpg

And a FTS

post-87944-0-81482400-1436838474_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Tomorrow, I am making the one hour trip to Carbella's so my son can buy a new string for his compound bow before his next archery meet for 4-H. There is a salt water fish store less then five minutes down the road... :)

Just going to look... :)

• Like 1

More kids need to learn that simple life. I know in the winter I don't see kids out here making snow forts or snow men, or even sledding. In any other time of the year kids are not outside enough here in my NC neighborhood. It's all the phones and the game machines. I know w/ our generations we grew up in a very physical world. We got dirty, we fell, dusted off, ran, jumped, biked, swam. It's no wonder kids are getting fatter, and it's so awesome to foster creativity in them. Creating a freshwater or saltwater tank is online research and such a fun learning opportunity. Sad, I heard the other day that so many kids don't even know what an uncooked chicken thigh or breast looks like cuz it's not formed into nuggets or patties. Convenience has taken away the learning in some things. And in ways like w/ this forum have greatly enhanced learning.

• Like 2

More kids need to learn that simple life. I know in the winter I don't see kids out here making snow forts or snow men, or even sledding. In any other time of the year kids are not outside enough here in my NC neighborhood. It's all the phones and the game machines. I know w/ our generations we grew up in a very physical world. We got dirty, we fell, dusted off, ran, jumped, biked, swam. It's no wonder kids are getting fatter, and it's so awesome to foster creativity in them. Creating a freshwater or saltwater tank is online research and such a fun learning opportunity. Sad, I heard the other day that so many kids don't even know what an uncooked chicken thigh or breast looks like cuz it's not formed into nuggets or patties. Convenience has taken away the learning in some things. And in ways like w/ this forum have greatly enhanced learning.

I totaly agree 100%! We live on ten acres, out in the country and have a lot of children. We home school them all. We all work together in pretty much all we do or we could not plant gardens, have milk goats and chickens. I can not do it all myself and they all love to help because they grew up helping me. They love to have a leaf raking day so they can play as they clean up leaves. I know this is to the extreme... but my children help to butcher our chickens. I do the butchering &(gutting) and my 15 year old does the plucking. My 19 year old does the fine picking, washing and bagging. We usally do it once a year and we do it assembly line style. It is quick and over with fast and we have meat in the deep freeze to go with our deer meat for the year. I look at it as a skill for hard times for them or even a servival skill. Also healthy eating. We know what is in our meat we eat. My 15 year old, even though she is special needs can deliver a baby goat and make sure it is dryed off and nursing, bake and do some light cooking. They all love each other, because they are all each others classmates and friends. It makes me so sad to hear parents complaining about summer vacation and how they cant wait till their children go back to school because they cant stand being around them. I dont like mine being away from me. I enjoy there company so much.

And your right about the healthy research that pets and such encourage children to do. My daughter has spent countless hours on the web looking at bettas and African dwarf frogs. So good for them to learn that with pets comes the responsibilty of caring for them the best possible way they can.

• Like 1

Hey Gena,

I was going thru the reef pictures I have stored on my computer and found the picture of the blasto that melted away on me. All the others I have ever had are happy and fluffy and getting new heads. You said you had never seen a blasto in orange and white? I wonder of this was an acan instead? It was sold to me as a blasto welsi. This is what it looked like when it was sold to me.

post-87944-0-93197700-1436920295_thumb.jpgpost-87944-0-55156000-1436920331_thumb.jpgpost-87944-0-34180300-1436920383_thumb.jpg

It was beautiful and soft looking. I miss it.

• Like 2

Hey Gena,

I was going thru the reef pictures I have stored on my computer and found the picture of the blasto that melted away on me. All the others I have ever had are happy and fluffy and getting new heads. You said you had never seen a blasto in orange and white? I wonder of this was an acan instead? It was sold to me as a blasto welsi. This is what it looked like when it was sold to me.

Looks like an acan. Actually, definitely an acan and very bleached. I remember my very first open brain coral I bought many years ago. It was a pretty white with pastel colors. Live and learn :D.
  • Like 2

I have one other coral that is thriving that was sold to me by the same place, at the same time, they said it was a blastomussa. It looks just like it but pink... I guess that one is an acan as well! What do you think?

• Like 1

post-87944-0-94533400-1436982014_thumb.jpg

I always said I would not have acans in my tank as I heard they had such a powerful sting? And were aggressive?

post-87944-0-98465800-1436981833_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
thecoralbeauty

I just flipped him over. He is dead and was slimmy and falling apart. I took him out with a turkey baster and a good bit of cloudy goo went all over in the tank. I am running filter floss, chem pure and phos ban. I hope I dont have issues from it all. sigh. Will buy water today to do a water change just in case.

ick! Im so sorry you lost him. it sounds like it was injured when you got him, hopefully it enjoyed its last days in your tank and didn't completely crash everything else when it went.

I was playing around with the idea of using a forum like this one for my students. That's assuming they're even interested in aquariums and things. I find them fascinating, but I realize we may be a dying breed, especially with the tech-laden new generation.

Whenever I get the chance to I take my class outside and try to get them running around while we learn a lesson as much as possible. There's a lot of whining sometimes, mostly about how they don't want to break their cell phones- which are all nicer than mine!

I'm glad to see there are parents like you who really crack down on the technology. Seriously, what Annette said: more kids need to enjoy the simpler things in life.

attachicon.gif002.jpg

I always said I would not have acans in my tank as I heard they had such a powerful sting? And were aggressive?

looks like an acan to me. haven't heard that they were aggressive before...

• Like 1

Thanks so much Morgan. I felt really bad I lost him as well. His death, praise God, did not crash my tank or bother anything. I was very grateful and had water change stuff standing by.

Sounds so good you get your class outside! I think they would love doing an aquarium! My kids love them. Many have one of their own. We actually have five in the house. Four fresh and my one reef. One is a turtle tank.

The acans are listed as peaceful. But I have heard horror stories of them all of a sudden sending out digestion bands? of some sort. Not sweeper tenticles. But lower. And they can digest a neighboring coral in a matter of hours. So the stories go. I have seen pictures posted on the web. So since this tank is so small I just wanted to stay away from them. Well... have got one in there I guess. :) I got it as one head and it was sold to me as a blasto. It has grown to about 9 heads or so and some of it is attached to the rock work now. It is attached and happy and has a lot of space around it. I might stop feeding him so heavily though now that I know. :)

• Like 1

Thanks so much Morgan. I felt really bad I lost him as well. His death, praise God, did not crash my tank or bother anything. I was very grateful and had water change stuff standing by.

Sounds so good you get your class outside! I think they would love doing an aquarium! My kids love them. Many have one of their own. We actually have five in the house. Four fresh and my one reef. One is a turtle tank.

The acans are listed as peaceful. But I have heard horror stories of them all of a sudden sending out digestion bands? of some sort. Not sweeper tenticles. But lower. And they can digest a neighboring coral in a matter of hours. So the stories go. I have seen pictures posted on the web. So since this tank is so small I just wanted to stay away from them. Well... have got one in there I guess. :) I got it as one head and it was sold to me as a blasto. It has grown to about 9 heads or so and some of it is attached to the rock work now. It is attached and happy and has a lot of space around it. I might stop feeding him so heavily though now that I know. :)

Sounds more like an acan echinata and those do get nasty. The acan you have is much more peaceful. I don't think you'll have any issues with it.

• Like 1

Gena, thank you for sharing that about the acan I have. I like him and like him even more if he is a more peaceful kind.

• Like 2

Gena, thank you for sharing that about the acan I have. I like him and like him even more if he is a more peaceful kind.

No problem :). You shouldn't have any issues with the kind you have.
  • Like 1

I was taking pictures of my corals and filing them and saw the growth on this coral. It amazes me how fast some of these corals grow yet others so slowly.

I got this birds nest the second week in April.

post-87944-0-53791500-1437487861_thumb.jpg

This is just yesterday.

post-87944-0-81828200-1437487923_thumb.jpg

And this litttle magenta poccillapora frag.

post-87944-0-06965000-1437488092_thumb.jpg

And yesterday.

post-87944-0-51036700-1437488181_thumb.jpg

The dendro that was sent to me starved and half dead is doing great after months of hard work. I stopped the bowl feedings about a month ago and attached him to my rockwork. I spot feed them brine three times a week. It takes a little while for them to eat and me to keep them protected from my crabs and fish while they take it in. But they have been worth it and the whole experiance has been very rewarding. A photo of when I got them and then yesterday.

post-87944-0-20799900-1437488397_thumb.jpgpost-87944-0-61042900-1437488518_thumb.jpg

Here is the most recent shots of my tank.

post-87944-0-60911500-1437488927_thumb.jpg

Left Island and right Island

post-87944-0-54638300-1437488996_thumb.jpgpost-87944-0-12943800-1437489051_thumb.jpg

And for some happy tank news...my wonderful husband let me order a few things off my wish list for my tank from Ebay. I have not got the tracking number yet but it should come this week. A very smallish tuxedo urchin. A Red Planet. A bright pink birdsnest and a green slimmer.

• Like 6