Innovative Marine Aquariums

eclipse 12... woot woot!!

yoshiod9

thanks rory...i just saw your comment for the first time today! lol. the hillae is an awesome piece...by far, one of my most favorites.

anyway, here are the new pieces i picked up yesterday. i didn't take a picture of the new neon green ringed favia rosaria cuz everyone has already seen what it looks like! :D

true tyree brick red echino and an un-IDed acro(tri-color piece...sooooo nice!)

truetyreebrickredechinoandunknownacrosp.jpg

my powder blue and green eyed favia...

powderblueandgreenfavia.jpg

my tyree montipora confusa

monticonfusatyreele.jpg

my first foray into the world of clams

crocea.jpg

blue base with green and yellow polyped monti danae

bluebaseyellowandgreenpolypeddanae.jpg

this is my honkin' huge brick red echino that i picked up for 40bucks from a lfs! not tyree, but perty darn similar! :D the interior dimensions of the tupperware container the coral is in is 7.5X7.5...so this coral is maybe 7x7 or so. hugeeeeee piece! i had to frag it into a two big chunks(and 5 or 6 smaller chunks) to fit it into three of my tanks that had room! brickredechinomother.jpg

here's a pic of a red echino with blue-green growth edge and a piece of the huge tyree knock off brick red echino.

brickredechinoandredechinowithblue-greenedge.jpg

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That Tyree confusa is awsome. Give it a lot of flow and it should develop some beautiful nodules. I'm a gonna have to raid your tank when you have some stuff to frag!!

eben- hopefully they'll grow quicker when i set up the monster 75g!...but i'll stay true to my roots and keep my 12 still. i just can't get rid of this tank...it's been through so much with me! :D

daniel- ...no. :D i actually picked this guy up for a heckuva good price! 29bucks! most of the places local to me charge anywhere from 49 to 69 dollars for a clam of this coloration. i guess i just lucked out.

thanks dennis...frag size or corallite size? frags depend on how many corallites people want...corallite size ranges from ULTRA tiny(new growth edges) to around the size of a lord corallite. i actually saw another piece just like mine for sale at a lfs that was going out of business but they wanted wayyy too much for it.

Hey Yoshio, whats that sps frag in the center of your hob filter? I picked up one of the exact kind yesterday and am curous about what it is. Is it possible that you get a close-up shot so I can see if its the kind I have for sure?

which one are you talking about todd? i had a cyphastrea ocellina frag in there and a acro efflo frag in there as well. just tell me which pager number and what picture you're asking about and i'll let you know. i can't take a picture of the efflo anymore cuz i had a mishap a month ago or so...we had a power outage and since the efflo sat in the hob filter it died when the hob didn't re-start itself. the cyph i might be able to snap a pic of but it doesn't look anything like it used to. it's seen better days in my tank as it constantly was knocked to the sand by turbo snails. lmk which you're talking about and i'll see what i can do!

uh oh...what did i find at the lfs today?? could it be another neon green ringed favia rosaria?! yeah it is!

with flash for both pics

anothernewneongreenringedfavia.jpg

newneongreenringedfaviawithflash.jpg

i also picked up a pretty bad ass new fish...most likely a leopard wrasse...the store had it labeled as something else though. newwrasse.jpg

also, i'm going to be upgrading my tank to a 75rr aga...so i've been doing a little shopping in my free time(which is all the time). i picked up an acrylic tru vu 29l from EVOIII last weekend. today i picked up a brand spankin' new euro-reef rs5-3. mmm...so hot. but wait, you may be asking yourself, 'isn't the rs5-3 only rated for up to 90 gallons?...why didn't danny get a larger skimmer since he's gonna have over 90 gallons of water volume?'

i didn't opt for a honkin' huge skimmer cuz A.) i can't afford one and B.) i don't plan on stocking the tank with an obscene amount of fish...therefore, a skimmer that can do well up to 90g seemed good enough for me! here's the sump in progress(tigah, i need you to help me figure out what i should do with it...i want to fit a fuge section in if possible...but i've only got 36" of space to work with...of which the skimmer takes up about 10"...help me!).

thebeginningsofthetankupgrade.jpg

also, just in case you didn't know what brand my skimmer for the 75 is:

rs5-3.jpg

Throw some baffles in there, and box out a small section for a refugium...then T off a return a send a small amount of overflow into the reugium that then flows out into the return...

just make sure the skimmer doesn't recieve any fuge water to insure that pods make it back to the second story!!

But definitely plump the return externally..it will save you a ton of room in the sump!

Good luck! Let me know if you need some help. Land Park is only like 10 minutes from your neck of the woods

Eben

dennis- i can't help it! the F. rosarias are seriously the NICEST favia i have ever laid eyes on. soooo much nicer than the xmas colored speciosas. plus, they get fluffy and put out feeders...they're like a fake lord...minus the growth rate, of course. :D

eben- don't worry, i'll more than likely be asking for some assistance from you...especially since this is gonna be my first experience with plumbing a tank/sump! is it bad that i don't know where land park is? :D lol. i'm such a bay area kid still. hopefully i'll be picking up my stand and canopy this saturday(though that may not happen since i'll be dealing with moving on friday...lol)from a guy in san jose...220 for a nice canopy and stand! http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...threadid=595197

i'm hoping that it'll fit in my civic and my gf's civic(canopy in my car and stand in her car). lol.

on another note, i just realized that the skimmer kinda doesn't sit level. so now i've got to figure out where to buy a piece of acryilc to fit the space i need to make the skimmer level (about 1/4 inch or so).

okeydokey...so the most important thing that has happened now is that i have decided against the 75 because...well, i'm poor. lol. i'm gonna keep the euro reef but i've set up the 29l as a room divider between my kitchen and my living room. i need to figure out how to hide the wires better but as for now, it works for me. i'm definitely going to be upgrading the lighting sometime soon though. i'm only using two 70w mh's and i feel i need much more light. anyway, just one pic for now...i'll be cleaning this tank up a bit more in the days to come. it is pretty much bare bottom but i'll be adding a small tupperware container filled with sand that way i can allow my two wrasses to sleep in the sand, and if the gobies want to get in the sand, they can as well. the tank is stocked with most of the corals from my tanks(12, 10, and 6 with the exception of all the zoanthids...which are in my 12 now).

new29l.jpg

yeah, it's definitely cluttered...this tank was supposed to be a staging tank until i get my big tank set up...but since i ran outta cash, i needed to get on top of making sure this tank works well for my corals...therefore, i don't care how crappy it looks right now... :D

be on the lookout for corals for sale from me so i can pay my bills(i had really poor money management skills this past month!) and stuff this month! :D

I'll buy soem LPS frags as soon as I can catch my evil shrimp! BTW, I think the upgrade looks nice especially once the lighting system is a little more clean...

• 2 weeks later...

here are the newest additions to my 29l...i should probably start a thread for it, but i'm too lazy. :D

unknown acro...gorgeous blue green base with a rosy color towards the polyps. absolutely beautiful...but damn hard to take a good picture of! grrr.

unknownacro.jpg

my pink/orange millepora...under 10k he looks pretty darn orange. lol. i prefer him under the 14k/20k but i haven't the money to upgrade the lighting, so 10k is what he'll deal with for now!

orangepinkmillepora.jpg

this is the new pride and joy of the 29l. this guy is about 2" across and is the first thing that catches your eye when you look into the tank.

gorgeousric.jpg

if you look in the background/foreground of that pic you can see my blue echinophyllia, my newly red favia rosaria, my favia speciosa(baby blue base and green corallites), and my unknown, possibly acan species green giant.

ENJOY! :D

at my secret store...;) just kidding! i picked it up at exotic...i talked one of their employees named bryan(older asian guy...about the only one that knows what he's talking about when it comes to saltwater anything) and he told me he picked up the other one that came in...a huge 3-4" hot pink yuma. needless to say i was ####ed at him! but i guess those are the perks of working at a fish store! first dibs.

too bad my store carries 0 corals i'm interested in. what sucks is that i'm probably going to really be thinking upgrade now that i work at a lfs. lol. sad sad sad.

whats up yoshi, let me know when you get stuff up for sale, im moving out your way in about 3 weeks and am gonna need to find all the spots to check out over there. i know the bay area spots but if there is anywhere cool in sactown or whatnot im gonna need to see em.

anyway the tanks lookin cool, i love the rockwork. what i used to do to hid cords was zip tie them to the plastic trim. just drill some holes in it and do that, then you can get wood trim if you want and make it to fit the edges and all the cords dissapear

SLO- out my way?! there aren't too many great stores here in the sac area but there are definitely one or two that i take the time to visit every week or two, just cuz they sometimes get some good stuff in. where you moving to? thanks for the idea on how to hide the cords...i'll look into that after i get my light upgrade!

im gonna be in roseville, i got a job up there right off of 80 over by the waterslides on eureka. i dont know where im living yet, but i guess i should figure that out soon

oh, that's awesome...i'm servicing aquariums for a lfs in granite bay(just outside of roseville...called riptide aquatics). pricing on apts is sooo much cheaper than bay area...i'm paying 750 for my 1bd 1bth and it's pretty darn big too...750sq feet. roseville prices may bit a bit hefty cuz people there tend to be in a higher tax bracket than people from sacramento. lol. well if you'll be here by july 9th, lmk...you can join BAR or MARS and hit up the BAR frag swap with my gf and i. also, if you need any help moving, lmk, i'd be happy to help out if i'm not working.

-danny

wow favias! who knew they could be so cool! i love all of your zoos, especially the raspberry limeade and the ultra yellow green zoos you have. where'd you get those? i love zoos and need better sources :D

lol, well i frag them out fairly often, so just keep an eye out in the classifieds for them! zoos used to be my biggest passion coral-wise. i spent at least a year finding color morphs i know that no one has(or if they are owned, few people have them)...quite a pain but soooo worth it in the long run. i don't doubt that you could find some decent coral at your lfs if you just take the time to look. i was so uber-obsessed that i used to buy whole colonies of ugly zoos just for 4 or 5 gorgeous polyps in the center or something. it was pretty bad. it's still pretty bad, but at least now i don't spend AS much time focusing on the zoos...but my gf constantly catches me staring at new colors that i don't have and gives me 'the look'. lol.

Archived