Coral Vue Hydros

Bad Hombre Cantina (yes I have a fish tank)

Sancho

3 minutes ago, spectra said:

Something get into the tank?

Sorry to hear.

Good possibility, Kids are home on spring break. Gonna change out the carbon and change the water, leaving out the GFO in the reactor. Just scrubbed the glass to find the dinos have multiplied 10 fold on the rock overnight :(  

3 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

Are all the nems accounted for?  Got any purigen on hands?  It sure looks like something specific caused it since it only took turn for the worse in 24 hours. Bad batch of gfo/carbon?

Yep the nems are all there. They are however not as big as they normally are.  The GFO/Carbon was changed a few weeks ago. I did notice a bit of receding with the euphyllia when I started running GFO so I cut the GFO in half based on the BRS GFO calculator. But what happened today seems to be a massive outbreak of the dinos. I have noticed that there has been an outbreak of bubbles on the back wall and a bit in the sand but the rock and coral have been unaffected.......now there are nasty brown bubbly strings attached to the rocks and euphyllia.    

• Sad 1
Nano sapiens

Yikes!  Since things went south very quickly, I wonder if someone ("Kids home...spring break"...cough...cough) didn't dump something in there :o

34 minutes ago, Nano sapiens said:

Yikes!  Since things went south very quickly, I wonder if someone ("Kids home...spring break"...cough...cough) didn't dump something in there :o

My kids are 4 and 10...:lol: worst they have done was goldfish crackers and nasty kid germ fingers. If my 10 year old is ####ing with anything she is getting the boot. Her ass will get a 1 way ticket to gramas house in Illinois. Just took a turkey baster to the rock and all the new Dino’s  came off with ease. But nothing is happy all 3 nems are retracted, euphillia looks dead.....hell even the green fuzzy shrooms look pissed.  Will see what the water change does. 

• Sad 1

Oh crap, this sucks. Sounds like maybe something died? A big water change should help but you already know that. Probably wouldn't hurt to change the carbon again, but I agree, leave the gfo unchanged. :(

So I think there are a few things going on here. Dinos, and this time of year the sun shifts and this tank gets direct sunlight all day if the damn kids dont pull the the shade on the giant sliding glass door. (pretty sure this is how all my shrooms bleached in the CAD8) Ive been keeping the shade pulled and doing my best to suck up the slimy brown bubbly snot as it appears on the rocks and corals. The back wall and glass will still be covered daily......lame. Tank is looking better and my youfeelyums have recovered :) I have also noticed some fine carbon accumulating near the bottom return area. I think the reactor may be tumbling the carbon or I didn't rinse it good enough :unsure: I set the reactor up to not tumble so this may just be my fault. 

Just pulled the reactor out and the pump is dead :lol: Cheap ass pump. I am so glad I didn't pay what IM really wants for this POS reactor! 

IMG_2380.JPG

• Like 2
StinkyBunny

Lights out for 2 days, then on for 2 days, back out for 2 days, then on for 2 days, then back out for 2 more days. Make sure you change out any type of mechanical filtration too.

So as things took a turn for the better they took a shit overnight again. All three nems are minimal size not all big and stringy like they normally have been, however they now look like GBTA's again :lol: All My zoas and euphyllia look like shit. Not dead just not opening up at all anymore. All livestock is fine, water params are fine, not dosing anything, DI is still 0 ppm, nothing dead in the tank. I dont ####ing get it? The one frogspawn I have had for 7 years looks like complete shit. Could direct sunlight be the issue? Or is it the brown slimly bubbly dinos? I dont think the dinos are causing it as the big frogspawn was the only thing that survived in the last tank that had full blown dinos that killed everything.  I am starting to think the direct sunlight may be a contributing factor as when the sun light path changed everything in my 8 gallon in the same location bleached. 

• Sad 4
Christopher Marks

Yeah, don't underestimate the power of natural sunlight, even through your windows. It's adding radiant heat. Maybe it's extending the photoperiod too long as well. Anything you can do to shade or screen the window tomorrow? 

So this is a photo when I thought things were bouncing back a couple weeks ago 

IMG_2380.jpg

And here is last night. All the euphyllia just stay like this all day. I thought temp may be an issue but the apex shows stable at 78* with a spike of 78.3* midday. Asides from what I fear are dinoflagellates there is nothing out of the ordinary. 

IMG_2401 2.jpg

My sand bed was non existent so I have been adding new sand over the last week. Doing another water change and moving it to the other side of the room where the Solana resided. No direct sunlight there. I am hoping its just exposure to the sunlight. The slider has a window shade but when you have kids and a dog that shade is left open for god know how long everyday. Thankfully I put sliders under the stand so it should be a breeze to push across the room tonight when I do my water change.  

• Like 1

My tank gets direct sunlight every afternoon, with the hammer and the duncan getting hit the most. Have you had any kind of alkalinity swing in the past couple of weeks? Euphilia are pretty sensitive to that. I also just added some new sand to my tank, so I hope that isn't the culprit andI start having issues toofingerscrossed. There seems to still be quite a bit of tissue on all of your corals, so hopefully you can bring them back.

On 4/24/2018 at 6:20 AM, HarryPotter said:

Maybe scrape the back too, and some big ol water changes after blasting rocks with powerhead to get the dinos off the corals. 

I scrape the back daily <_< No Alk swing. I am puzzled. On the bright side all three GBTA's has bubbles again :lol: So whatever is pissing the euphyllia off is making my nems happy. Its odd nothing has gone slimy just not opening. My skimmer is still going nuts. 

HarryPotter
32 minutes ago, Sancho said:

I scrape the back daily <_< No Alk swing. I am puzzled. On the bright side all three GBTA's has bubbles again :lol: So whatever is pissing the euphyllia off is making my nems happy. Its odd nothing has gone slimy just not opening. My skimmer is still going nuts. 

If thats scraped daily, you have a  very aggressive strain of reef STDs :o 

For some reason I didn't think you had a tank anymore.  I hope you can figure this out!!!!  I'd personally do a huge cleaning.  Pull all of the rock out, scrub the tank down, clean the back chambers and all pumps really good.  It's a lot of work but it does make a difference.  Everything is pissed off as it is so a little moving around shouldn't make much difference :unsure:.