Coral Vue Hydros

Fishfreak's foxy BC29: Brine Shrimp!

fishfreak0114

That's awesome! I know I'd be adding stuff to the order all week :lol:

I would not dip the yuma, it's pretty much like the rics in that respect. I'd start the acros on the sand bed but they don't need to stay there for long. Just a couple days. But move them up gradually. They need a lot of light but it's the sudden change in the relative level of light that will bleach them.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

The last week or so I've noticed a small amount of cyano on my sand bed. I stir my sand bed up at each water change but I don't think it's doing enough so I'm going vacuum it at my next water change. It is pretty nasty when I stir it. I'm also going to buy a couple more nassarious next time I come across some. A couple days ago the hammer was finally in reach of the duncan and stung some of its tentacle tips. It's already healing and I just moved the hammer a little bit backwards and to the left so I should be ok for a while.

• Like 2
fishfreak0114

Got the frags last night. They were packed well and the heat pack was still warm. Double bagged and in a styrofoam box. My only complaint is that they didn't send one of the frags so I'm gonna call them for a refund. Everything is opening up nicely though. I'm going it have lots of placement questions coming up lol. I also vacuumed my sand while I was acclimating them (Fridays are wc day) and OMG it was disgusting. My sand looks cleaner now, I'm going to vacuum it at least once a month I think. PICS!

image_zpspafybowb.jpeg

Watermelon favia

image_zpsmpwdnbdg.jpeg

Birdsnest, montipora and acan

image_zpsnxkuar5e.jpeg

Lobo and marble favia

image_zpsywzzfzxe.jpeg

Purple and green favia and mummy eye chalice

image_zpsxotcfkkl.jpeg

Rics and yuma

image_zps5yuev75m.jpeg

image_zpsvk7jroqo.jpeg

This nudi came off the monti :(

image_zpsipti6gj9.png

• Like 2
fishfreak0114

I've heard contradictory info on the light requirements of favia. Some say high while others say low. Are they fine in pretty much any light as long as they are properly acclimated? Can I mount the SPS in a couple days? Will I have to light acclimate them? The place I got them from uses led so I'm pretty sure my lights are weaker than what they're used to. Can I mount the Rics and yumas whenever I feel like because they're only going to move an inch or two up from the sand bed? Am I able to put the Rics in the overhang in the bottom middle of the scape or is there not enough light there? Can I mount the chalice vertically or will that hurt it? Sorry for all the questions but I want to do this right.

• Like 1

Nice frags! That chalice looks a lot like the one I have in my 10g tank!

Favia can really vary about light, but in general they like medium to low light. They can grow in higher light but you have to acclimate them slowly - rics are the same way.

Definitely light acclimate your SPS. Make sure they are doing OK on the sand bed and then move them up. If you are putting them right at the top, make at least one stop halfway up on the way.

You will be able to tell if rics need more light. They will stay small and won't open up much at all, and gradually get smaller and smaller. The good news is they will recover quickly when they come back out. The bad new is if they are really unhappy, they will let go of the rock you attach them to and shape themselves to catch the current so they can float away in hopes of finding a better spot. In my tank that always meant under some rock where they die because I can't find them :unsure:

I only have one chalice and I keep it on the sand bed, so I don't know about the last question. But in general, anything that encrusts is fine growing vertically as long as it's getting the light it wants. But if it's truly vertical, the bottom half will be shaded by the top half and probably won't grow well.

• Like 2

Love the frags you got! That acan is very beautiful!

You might want to do the sand bed cleaning twice a month though, do one half one weekend and the other half another weekend.

Those birdsnest are going to be great once they grow out and get all fluffy!! :wub:

• Like 2
fishfreak0114

Nice frags! That chalice looks a lot like the one I have in my 10g tank!

Favia can really vary about light, but in general they like medium to low light. They can grow in higher light but you have to acclimate them slowly - rics are the same way.

Definitely light acclimate your SPS. Make sure they are doing OK on the sand bed and then move them up. If you are putting them right at the top, make at least one stop halfway up on the way.

You will be able to tell if rics need more light. They will stay small and won't open up much at all, and gradually get smaller and smaller. The good news is they will recover quickly when they come back out. The bad new is if they are really unhappy, they will let go of the rock you attach them to and shape themselves to catch the current so they can float away in hopes of finding a better spot. In my tank that always meant under some rock where they die because I can't find them :unsure:

I only have one chalice and I keep it on the sand bed, so I don't know about the last question. But in general, anything that encrusts is fine growing vertically as long as it's getting the light it wants. But if it's truly vertical, the bottom half will be shaded by the top half and probably won't grow well.

Thanks teeny, glad to have the favia issue clarified. I want them all in very different locations, one towards the bottom one towards the top and I have no clue where I'll put the other one. If the SPS look good in a day or two can I move them up to half? The bird nests actually had awesome PE today, the neon one was really fluffy looking. I mounted the Rics and yuma today, I'll post a pic but I think they will get sufficient light. I hav a plan for the chalice. I'm going to be mounting it approximately half way up the rock work, kind of to the left and down from the candy cane. To make it not quite vertical I will use epoxy to tilt it a bit towards the light.

Love the frags you got! That acan is very beautiful!

You might want to do the sand bed cleaning twice a month though, do one half one weekend and the other half another weekend.

Those birdsnest are going to be great once they grow out and get all fluffy!! :wub:

Thanks merthy! I'll clean the sand bi weekly then with my wc's, I actually found it fun lol. I can't wait to see the birdsnest grow! The acans will be ok on the sand bed right? Do I need to light acclimate the hammer if it is going where the other one is? Is that too much light too fast?
  • Like 2

Sounds good! Yes, I think you're OK moving the SPS halfway after a couple days, but give them at least a week or two before you go higher. Or just dim the lights, move them up, and then gradually ramp the light back up over a few weeks. They can tolerate a ton of light but it's the sudden change that will bleach them.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

image_zpsqxj4xu1j.jpeg

Sounds good! Yes, I think you're OK moving the SPS halfway after a couple days, but give them at least a week or two before you go higher. Or just dim the lights, move them up, and then gradually ramp the light back up over a few weeks. They can tolerate a ton of light but it's the sudden change that will bleach them.

Ok thanks, I don't have LED yet so no dimming. I'll move them up to half soon and let them adjust.

• Like 1

Thanks teeny, glad to have the favia issue clarified. I want them all in very different locations, one towards the bottom one towards the top and I have no clue where I'll put the other one. If the SPS look good in a day or two can I move them up to half? The bird nests actually had awesome PE today, the neon one was really fluffy looking. I mounted the Rics and yuma today, I'll post a pic but I think they will get sufficient light. I hav a plan for the chalice. I'm going to be mounting it approximately half way up the rock work, kind of to the left and down from the candy cane. To make it not quite vertical I will use epoxy to tilt it a bit towards the light.

Thanks merthy! I'll clean the sand bi weekly then with my wc's, I actually found it fun lol. I can't wait to see the birdsnest grow! The acans will be ok on the sand bed right? Do I need to light acclimate the hammer if it is going where the other one is? Is that too much light too fast?

Yeah I'm sure the acans will be alright on the sand bed. That is where I've always kept mine. :) I would probably still give the hammer a little bit of time prior to moving it just in case. Better to do it slow and have no problems than to rush it and possibly piss it off.

• Like 2
fishfreak0114

Yeah I'm sure the acans will be alright on the sand bed. That is where I've always kept mine. :) I would probably still give the hammer a little bit of time prior to moving it just in case. Better to do it slow and have no problems than to rush it and possibly piss it off.

Thanks :) I've never light acclimated anything because it just didn't cross my mind and I'm pretty sure that's why lots of my stuff loses tissue and then recovers when I get them. From now on Ill go nice and slow.

• Like 2

Thanks :) I've never light acclimated anything because it just didn't cross my mind and I'm pretty sure that's why lots of my stuff loses tissue and then recovers when I get them. From now on Ill go nice and slow.

I've done that in the past too! I'm not always patient! :lol: It really does pay off in the end though!

• Like 2

Good luck! Also, acans generally like less light, so the sandbed is where they usually do best. I glue one side of them to the edges of my rocks right at the sand level so that the snails can't knock them over :)

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

My fuzzy green looking mushrooms grow fast. It's kind of becoming a problem, the rate at which they are spreading, on one side pretty close to my other mushroom father back. Could I frag them off and give them away and epoxy the bases so I only have a couple left where I want them and then put a favia on either side as natural mushy control? They would be able to sting them if they grew too close right? I started with two of them and now there is 10ish...yikes!

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

I just realized a slight problem...I don't have a proper frag rack that I can slowly lift towards the light. I tried to wedge the SPS plugs into my rocks about halfway up but no luck. Should I epoxy them at half and break them out later?

Just stick the plug to the rock with a little gel superglue. You can easily break them off later.

And yeah, those mushrooms have lots of babies. I'm constantly eliminating extra red ones from my 4g tank.

• Like 2
fishfreak0114

I glued the two bits nests about halfway up, but I only had two good spots so I just put the monti in its final place. I chose that one because it's not quite at the top. I am loving my new bone cutters!!! I was able to pop it off the plug so easy! :)

fishfreak0114

Ok so I'm finding it difficult t keep track of when I want to mount things so I was thinking I'd write it here. If anything seems too quick just let me know:

Thursday: clear space for two favias (marble and purple/green) and put them in place

Place hammer in final position.

Place chalice in final position

Monday(18th): birdsnest to final positions

Watermelon favia up to half

Roughly 3 weeks away: place watermelon favia in final position

fishfreak0114

Tank is looking great!

Thanks! :)

Today I attempted to frag off a couple green fuzzy mushrooms (I say attempted because they ended up mutilated beyond recognition :( just epoxied over them in the end). I placed two of the favias, the chalice and the hammer.

• 2 weeks later...
fishfreak0114

Found Jim the GCG and the porcelain crab in the back chambers living happily a week ago. Haven't succeeded in removing them yet tho. Any tips? Glad that they're alive :). Hopefully when I do get them out they'll be big enough that they don't go back again.

• Like 1

I really love your tank, and am glad to see you have that flame angle.....I want to add a pygmy to mine at some stage, just keep hearing "don't do it, your tank is to small" etc.....but I think it has to do with keeping them fat and happy so they don't go after anything else lol! Nicely done!

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

I really love your tank, and am glad to see you have that flame angle.....I want to add a pygmy to mine at some stage, just keep hearing "don't do it, your tank is to small" etc.....but I think it has to do with keeping them fat and happy so they don't go after anything else lol! Nicely done!

Thanks Idaho Ken! :) I did a lot of reading about it and a lot of people say it's too small and the fish will nip corals and get aggressive to other fish but I chose to ignore that and just go for it. I'm so glad I did. She (always thought of it as a she) nips new corals once or twice out of curiosity but she never damages anything. TBH I kind of slack off feeding, I sometimes forget to feed for a couple days and I'm horrible about refilling the algae clip but she causes no problems at all. I think it is just about keeping them happy

I really need or post a new FTS, I've mounted all the corals so it's just the Zoas and sand bed corals not on rock now. It looks quite a bit different. I really want to go buy more coral right now but I'm trying to save for an RO/DI. I wish I had a TDS meter so I could check what my tap is, it must not be that bad because I don't have algae issues.

• Like 3