Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Fishfreak's foxy BC29: Brine Shrimp!

fishfreak0114

FF: I haven't had time to read through your whole thread yet. I just set up my first BC29 (certainly not my first SW tank) and I'm working on my fish list. I see you have a flame angel...this has long been one of my favorite fish and I'm hopeful one will work out in the BC. How is yours towards the tankmates? I have a tailspot blenny and was planning on ordering a blue assessor, flame angel, and YWG next week and calling it a wrap on the fish.

• Like 2

FF: I haven't had time to read through your whole thread yet. I just set up my first BC29 (certainly not my first SW tank) and I'm working on my fish list. I see you have a flame angel...this has long been one of my favorite fish and I'm hopeful one will work out in the BC. How is yours towards the tankmates? I have a tailspot blenny and was planning on ordering a blue assessor, flame angel, and YWG next week and calling it a wrap on the fish.

So far it has been great. I might have just gotten lucky, but it's never aggressive at all in the 3 and a half months it's been in the DT. It pretty much just minds it's own business and grazes. It isn't aggressive to the inverts either. I haven't noticed too much coral nipping, I probably notice about once a week but it never does damage. They are a favorite of mine also.

I was too afraid to tuch it, but I poked it with the blunt end of a skewer and it seemed squishy. I'll try to upload a video of me poking it. I finally got a light bright enough to reach the bottom of the chamber, and damn there are a lot of feather dusters. I'll put on a pic.

• Like 2

I'm almost positive it's a sponge, some sponges I've had pop up in my tank looked really similar to yours, they were gone as quickly as they appeared.

you got a free biofilter, I think those feather duster worms are pretty cool animals, the oceans little dust filter.

• Like 1

Yeah I'd say it's a sponge. You may see a few more pop up because there is a food source. And that's quite a few dusters in such a small area, I bet after a while the entire walls of that chamber will have growths of the worms.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

So two nights ago, the salinity was dead on at 1.009 in the QT. I haven't added or removed any water since that time, but when I checked it tonight it was 1.006. I'm working on raising it now so the fish aren't harmed. They Have actually been more active and happy seeming then they have been the whole time since they got sick at this salinity. Why did it go down? Are they going to die if I don't get it up to 1.009 fast? I kind of had a mini heart attack when I saw it was so low.

• Like 1

It went down because saltwater has a tendency to not want to mix with freshwater. To do a test to prove the point visibly mix some really salty water and get a glass of freshwater, pour a little of the super salty water in it. You will see the salty water settle to the bottom, it's kinda cool.

You can hurt the fish if hypo salinity is too fresh, I don't know what point causes death though, so I would say fix it soon, but also it is only 2 numbers off so I wouldn't think it's going to kill them instantly.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Oh yah, we did a lab in science last year where we did that, they have different densities. Would it help in the future if I essentially "stirred" the tank? Added more current to mix it?

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Oh crap, while I as blasting off the rocks with a blaster I accidentally hit the hammer, a couple tentacles were damaged. Will it heal?

• Like 1

That and testing the salinity a little while after the mix instead of directly after the mix also helps me.

Don't underestimate corals healing abilities, I seen one thread where the person dropped and shattered a brain corals skeleton, it recovered, and it looked so bad after the drop.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
fishfreak0114

I went to feed the QT today and bananas the royal gramma didn't come out to eat so I poked around and he was dead...just dead, no apparent reason. He has been eating fine, great color and active. The treatment hasn't seemed to bother him and now he's just dead. He was swimming fine yesterday too. Is there a reason for this? Could he just not handle the treatment? Now I'm super worried about Barry. He has been out and happy today, and I just saw him. I'm going to check the parameters now. Sometimes I hate this hobby soooo much (like now).

fishfreak0114

I just looked at the dead gramma. It still had ####ing ich. I haven't seen any since hypo started and now it just sprang back in full force? I thought the hypo was supposed to kill it?

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

I finally got a really close look at Barry, and he has a couple cysts on him. When they fall off I guess I start the clock back at zero for another four weeks?

• Like 1

I have read accounts of some fish on an individual basis which spontaneously die for no reason during hyposalinity, not that common but it can happen. Also maybe bananas had some unrelated condition, maybe fish heart issues and got a fishy heart attack. There are a lot of things that could have caused his death.

No that phosphate level shouldn't kill a fish.

That's really weird that it came back like that, why would it take a break first. before you start the clock again let's see if it sends another cycle during the hyposalinity. This is quite disappointing.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Super sad news, Barry didn't make it :(. He'd been seeming better lately too. I don't know what I'll do now, I may just leave the QT up and wait for the ich to die off. Saltwater ich is so much worse than freshwater, or maybe it was just the treatment. Either way, I'm super bummed. I just hope I don't buy any more sick fish because clearly treatment has not worked for me thus far.

Sorry to hear :(

Saltwater Ich is known for persistence, and aquariums enclosed environment makes these problems worse, wild fish normally won't get completely covered by ich because there is more space, and the fish can move around vast areas, not to mention the animals that feed off of the parasite, and pathogens the parasite can get.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

I'm having a serious issue. The pagoda cup is losing the tissue around its base really quick. I thought something looked off the other day but now it is really obvious that something's wrong. It is worse on he backside so I thought it may be too much flow. I changed the flow more away from it but it has gotten worse faster now.

image_zps3wnvuzbg.jpeg

I swear everything in my tank seems to get worse and then improve. Hopefully this follows the trend. The plate kind of bleached but now is improving, the candy cane lost lots of tissue but it actually seems to be healing, and recently the duncan seemed to have lost some tissue around the top head but it is not getting worse so I really don't know what that was.

Here's a pic of the candy cane. It has been looking like this for quite some time now. Very puffy

image_zpsyvu6iqp7.jpeg

When it first started to lose tissue

image_zpsbparmj2p.jpg