Cultivated Reef

Fishfreak's foxy BC29: Brine Shrimp!

fishfreak0114

fishfreak0114

Should I treat with paraguard? Most of the time it swims totally fine, it just does something weird a couple times a day. 99% of the time it swims totally normal. I don't think it was getting enough food at the pet store, their tanks didn't have much for algae. Plus there was like 15 other tailspots in with it.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Oh crap...

I just took a close look at the royal gramma and it had ich. It wasn't there yesterday, it sprung up overnight it seems. The fish is still okay though, acting totally normality breathing a little heavier than normal. I'm guessing the blenny has it too but it hides if I go too close to the glass. I'm. Going to start using paraguard right away. It says that it treats ich and a whole bunch of other stuff too. The gramma is acting totally normal, but breathing a little faster than usual. I really hope they pull through :(. How long should I treat for? Do I need to do frequent water changes? How long after the visible ich is gone should I leave them in QT?

Should I do an hour long bath for the royal gramma? It says on the label you can do that.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Do both of them have scales? Need to know for the dosage and I can't find it anywhere. At least not for the blenny

I believe it's around 2-3 months of fallow for the DT, bummer. :(

I have to leave the DT empty? These fish are in QT still. I'm checking for ich in the DT right now.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

The fish in the DT don't have ich, I just checked. I couldn't find Jim though. He looked fine the other day when I saw him. Now that I know the gramma has ich I keep noticing it flashing. On the bright side, they're both still eating.

• Like 1

dose according to package, and I'd say dose until the fish have recovered fully from the ich and the following week to be sure it's dead, as for water changing, don't alter the schedule, the parasites won't be affected at all by changing the water.

Since you quarantined you got a lucky break, and avoided a gigantic problem of an infected display tank.

Id say do treatment until they are healthy again.

I definitely say be generous with the quarantine time, 3-4 weeks should certainly suffice.

Why not do that bath? Just remember Ich is definitely not the most lethal fish disease, and many fish do get better on their own, but treatments will end the cycle and fix the issue quicker and more efficiently.

I read with paraguard that you can dose a tank at 5 ml per 10 gallons daily.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Ok thanks for all the help. I will start treatment today. I'm guessing I have around 20 gallons, the tanks not totally full so I'll dose 10ml daily. I'm going to try and catch the royal gramma and blenny for a dip now, should be interesting I'm terrible at netting fish. Good thing they weren't in the DT, that would be a hopeless chase lol.

Is marine ich about as lethal as freshwater ich? Or worse? I've dealt with freshwater ich many times and I don't think I've ever lost a fish to it.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

I got the two fish in a bath, it was actually super easy to catch them lol. The royal gramma hid in the pot that the blenny also hides in so I just held the pot upside down and slowly moved it out of water until they both went into the net.

• Like 1

Marine ich is usually less fatal, but many times infection is in the gills, so that makes things a bit more inconvenient, and that is also why the fish is breathing very rapidly.

I have read that the disease will die out naturally if an infected aquarium with fish is left as is for 11 months, that's still a very long time, and those poor fish that survive probably aren't enjoying it either.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

The treatment seems to be going well. I didn't see any more ich on the royal Gramma and I finally got a close look at the blenny. The blenny seems ich free, but I think it has some in its gills or something because it was still flashing. The flashing is worrying me because it may or may not be the reason that the blenny has an issue on the top of its head. It's kind of like its skin is peeling off. WTF, I take it this is not good. Sorry the pic is kind of blurry. It's fine otherwise, and acting normal.

image_zpsnxdkqqsw.jpg

Looks like it might be head and lateral line erosion, or some similar ulcerative disease. Some people blame this on overusing activated carbon in some instances, do you have activated carbon running?

• Like 1

Maybe brooklynella or uronema, they have wasting and skin ulcers, or maybe the fish got a scrape on his head from something.

Is it going to make it?

this I am not sure, keep up the paraguard and hope for the best, unfortunately I am not sure of any other way to attack this problem.
  • Like 1
fishfreak0114

It very well may have cut itself, I'm hoping that it. It has been scraping it head on pretty much everything. I will be treating with paragaurd for at least another week.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Whatever was wrong with the blennies head is gone now. It's gills are kind of red and scraped because it is still scratching them on everything. The weird upside down swimming thing hasn't happened all weekend. My candy cane coral isn't doing too good, the top heads tissue is all receding and showing skeleton. The bottom head seems ok though.

• Like 1

Wouldn't have been skin falling off exposing tissue beneath then if it's gone now, because fish skin doesn't heal that quickly, not quite sure what it would have been. The way it sounds your Blenny should make a full recovery.

That's not good, is there a clearly defined line between the necrosis and the living tissue?

Tank looks nice though.

• Like 1