Cultivated Reef

Fishfreak's foxy BC29: Brine Shrimp!

fishfreak0114

I really dig this tank. Theres a TON of rock, which I really like. The minimal aquaecapes are a bit artificial looking to me, but yours is like "REEF" :)

Hows the refugium going? Does it grow fast/ you have to trim?

• Like 2
fishfreak0114

Thanks Harry, I like lots of rock too :). When I scaped it, I didn't know anything bout the minimalist aquascapes, so I just fit as much rock into a small space as I could lol but I like how it turned out. The refugium is good, there is tons of pods, and a lot of snails (like 30 or 40, which I put there to combat the buildup of algae on the baskets and walls). I only use the light a couple days a week because it seems to be getting enough natural sunlight so it's not growing insanely fast but it is growing. I've only trimmed it once but it was was overgrown by the time I cut it back. It was growing into chamber three, out the top of the basket and all round the outside of it too. It made a really weird sheet of chaeto between the back wall and the basket lol.

• Like 1

Did you get good variety of amphipods? I know a while ago you said of some larger species and a smaller one ( if I remember correctly bigger ones were orange?)

I unfortunately only got one species, a grey color, but uniquely they only walk on their sides, they don't seem to do too much swimming either but they are dang good at hiding.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Yesterday I got a bunch more coral off another hobbyist. The tanks lights aren't on yet but I'll post pics later. I got two heads of a blue/green candy cane, some kind of mushroom and zoas (watermelon, orange bam bam and two random ones)

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

How much longer should I leave the clown goby in QT? I don't thin he's sick and I plan on another trip to vancouver in a week and a half and I may be getting more fish.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

I think he has put some weight on. It's hard to tell but I definitely think he has. He's chosen his favorite place, between the back wall and a clay pot so it's super hard to see him good. He's active, and moves around lots too.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

I added the goby. He hid right away, as expected but I did manage to snap one pic before he did. All the new coral is mounted and open so I got pics of that too.

image_zpshel2azex.jpg

image_zpsqhdxvyka.jpg

image_zpsikzkufpr.jpg

image_zpsap5gbiah.jpg

image_zpswfjru9nf.jpg

• Like 1
reefernanoman

Well, today it is six months since the tank got wet, so I thought I would post a bunch of pics. Some are kind of blurry (my lack of photography skills :P). Enjoy! :)

FTS

image_zpsl3mr02tk.jpg

Right Side

image_zps8nc70qfq.jpg

Left side

image_zpsgiilq7gu.jpg

The zoas

image_zps5ugaublg.jpg

The not so happy plate

image_zpsymtjcmxd.jpg

Frags

image_zps7kuvinoe.jpg

Close up of the biggest frag

image_zpsphzfk4la.jpg

I like it! Great progress.

• Like 3
fishfreak0114

So I never really got the protien skimmer modded and running, I got stuck on the mod part and I think I actually broke the skimmer :(. But now, I have my own odd set of filter feeders that have taken up residence and are multiplying. It started with just a couple feather dusters and now there are over a hundred. They can't all be seen in the photo :D

image_zpscahzz6ck.jpg

• Like 3

I like them :)

Hey is it my imagination or is the plate coral a little less white?

Lol that's a pretty cool biological filter you got going on lol. Tube worms are interesting creatures for sure.

I can see the plate coral in the corner of the new zoa so I was wondering.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

I really like them too, it's fun to watch them retreat into their tubes. I think the plate coral is about the same, I'm still hoping for recovery though. I haven't seen the goby since I added it earlier, do they usually hide a lot? Or is it still just adjusting?

• Like 1

I hope plate can make a recovery, the fact the whitening hasn't progressed any further is an unexpected and welcome change.

To my knowledge these gobies aren't much of hiders because they have their mucous that makes them inedible to most predators, they like to host sps corals like acropora ( so it's a rather exposed environment), but they can damage them on the aquarium environment so I don't recommend that.

Maybe he is adjusting still, hopefully he starts coming out.

• Like 2
fishfreak0114

Since I've added the goby (which I've decided to name jim) he's only come out of hiding twice. At least I know he's alive :) yesterday I dropped in an algae was and Leonardo was all over it. He fed fended it from several hermits for a while but eventually lost the battle. The wafer was about the same size as him! I've also noticed that some of the snails I blow off the pagoda no longer seem to actually be a snail, just a shell. Is the pagoda cup eating them? I almost had a total panic attack this morning when I saw what I thought was Jacques in a crevice, dead. Then I looked to the right and saw Jacques, totally fine in his usual spot. He molts way more frequently then I thought they did. Is my candy cane growing a new head? I'm referring to the odd lump forming on top of the bottom head.

image_zpsz8bxe4ew.jpg

image_zpseqsiaj2c.jpg

image_zpsu4uxg2gl.jpg

image_zpstrvqt25e.jpg

• Like 1