ReefCleaners.org

Fishfreak's foxy BC29: Brine Shrimp!

fishfreak0114

Too bad Jim is a scaredy fish, always the least fun fish in the tank lol.

:lol: I hate when arthropods give a mini heart attack with old shells.

I don't know if that is a bud, I hope it is. Usually corals like that divide by gradually dividing an entire polyp in half.

Keep me posted on the lumps progress

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

We are going into Vancouver again, and stopping at fish stores on the way back. J and L has a tail spot blenny on hold or me and I'm hoping that another store has a royal gramma. I haven't seen peppermint patty in owe week so I'm assuming the worst. Would it be ok to get another even if there's the possibility of having two peppermint shrimp in the tank? They wouldn't kill each other? I don't think I have one anymore but I want to e sure In case.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

I was feeding bloodworms and in the whole behind the duncan I saw jim. I think he's getting braver. I put some worms by him and he swam away but came back. I'm pretty sure that little cave (which goes in between the rocks) is his hideout. I was getting worried, it had been quite a while since the last sighting, like several days. He has more color now though and he looked healthy so that's good. :)

I never have to worry about algae issues or buying CUC because my tank is still producing copious amounts of cerith snails. I now have ones that are 1mm to over a cm. I don't think it will stop anytime soon. I still have hundreds. The weirdest part is that I've never seen any eggs. I suspect they are laid either in the back or on the back wall?

I've been dosing phyto once a week, but should I be adding it more frequently because of all the feather dusters?

• Like 1

Shrimp aren't usually as bad cannibals as other Decapods like crabs and lobsters, so I'd say it should be fine. Just be sure that the new shrimp is somewhere in the same size range.

Jim must be getting better since he's coloring up, he must just be super shy.

Assuming that they are true ceriths that could be, I am no expert but I do know there are a good number of snails with quite similar shells, maybe it's some other species with a different reproductive way, maybe these ones like to lay eggs in the sand so it isn't very easy to spot the eggs? Or if we really get our imagination rolling maybe they don't even lay eggs like some freshwater snails. I do think that the sand eggs are probably what is happening.

Depends on how much feather dusters you want really, their population is limited by food availability, so more food makes an increased potential population, stable food like now will draw a line for them at some point.

• Like 1

Two headed stalks and even 2 mouth polyps though uncommon do happen at times, it does look awesome . Sorry I haven't the slightest clue on the color morphs identification.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

I'm almost positive the it's dead, it was like 2.5+ inches and I keep reading that they only get 2 inches though. Ironically, it be from petland too. So I don't have the emerald crab, cleaner shrimp or pep shrimp I got from there. They were all massive when I got them. Definitely getting smaller stuff in the future. All the small ones do hang out right by the sand or on it, not in the rocks like all the big ones. I'll just keep adding the same amount of phyto then, I like that they all stay in that chamber, I don't see any anywhere else. Weird because it like the all migrated to there from the main display, maybe because of the constant water flow past brings new food continuously. I really like the two head one. If only it was a better color.

• Like 1

That's a lot of old stock they must have been selling to you.

Bigger just isn't always better.

For various reasons tube worms don't always do well in the display tank except spirorbis, they usually do pretty well in display tanks. One of their problems is they need a significant amount of food for their size because of their active filtering habits. So you are correct in why they moved :)

i wonder if there is a particular trigger for mutant polyps like that.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

J and L ended up having a tailspot blenny and a royal gramma. I got both :). They're so pretty, I'll add pics tomorrow probably. I also got a new peppermint shrimp, and a blood red fire shrimp. I couldn't resist it's beauty. No coral this time, everything was so expensive and no good frags anyways. I switched out the actinic bulb a fedayeen ago, should I wait a week to change the other? I was shocked to see how much bluer it is now. The bulbs must have been fading.

• Like 1

Sounds like a nice shopping trip, cool new fish, I love the coloration of royal gramma quite a bit.

I am not sure, I don't think it would matter too much if you switched them now or tomorrow because after all, when you bought these corals, I am positive the lighting spectrum had some changes between the stores , and your aquarium.

• Like 1

That's a really dark red shrimp, pretty, love the gramma also, just wondering when gramma will make cookies :lol: J.K.

Little Jim looks so tiny in his surroundings, cute.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

So far the new fish seem disease free. There's no visible parasites and they're both eating and active. :)

I looked in my tank this morning and all 5 watermelon zoas were gone. They must have not been glued down right or maybe something knocked them off :(

Apparently, me feeding the duncan a lot is paying off, today I noticed this new head growing :D

image_zpsvpelbtme.jpg

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

An interesting turn of events, I saw one head sticking out of a crevice so I tried to get it out. Once it closed I saw that there was four heads all rammed in there. So I took the blunt end of a skewer and put it in the opposite side of the hole and with a lot of expletives and frustration, I managed to get them out. Now they're on a frag plug. Two heads are still MIA, I doubt I'll ever see them again. But in the process, my bam bams fell off the side of the rock. It was soooo hard to get them to stay in the first place and even harder this time. But with several layers of glue and epoxy it seems to be holding again. I keep looking over, expecting to see them on the sand again. All in a days work I guess lol at this had a happy ending.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Sounds like someone living in your aquarium is "redecorating ", someone who has 2 claws and 8 legs.

Glad you got them back though.

Lol yah, I hope they grow onto the actual plug so they're not so loose. Funny enough they were right by where Leonardo hangs out
  • Like 1

Lol leonardo must just be picky of his landscaping :D but I do seriously think it's a general crab issue, even my killer crab does some serious redecorating on his free time, that's pretty much why he only has shells on his tank nowadays, it's like a baby proof house for him.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Okay, several things. First, I still have more ceriths hatching, I found ones only half a millimeter from a new batch. I give them away whenever possible. My candy cane coral doesn't seem very happy today, but it's been fine otherwise since I got it so I'm not too concerned. The watermelon zoas have recovered from their little adventure and seem okay again. I may be crazy, but i swear that the plate coral is slowly recovering. It definitely isn't getting worse. I still haven't fed it successfully though. I saw jim and he has more color then ever. The fish in QT seem ok. When I first got the blenny, I noticed it was super skinny, really sunken in. I hadn't noticed that when I bought it. Now it has filled out nicely. I don't think it has parasites but I'm gonna keep a close eye on it anyways.

• Like 1

Those must have been super fresh babies

I don't know about candy cane specifically, but I know some corals will shed their outer layer of skin and seem unhappy for a little while as they get rid of the old skin and mucous.

Ha, I knew I was noticing that a couple weeks ago :D

Hope Blenny gets back in shape.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Is it normal for a blenny to occasionally flip up sided own or side ways for a second while swimming? Is it just having fun or is something wrong? I noticed it do that a couple times today. I swear it swam spinning once and sometimes it looks like a dog chasing it's tail.

• Like 1

No, completely abnormal and can be symptom of serious disease, basically the fish is having difficulty controlling his swim bladder, and staying balanced in the water, this can be caused by many different factors including nerve damage, parasites, pathogens, poisons and multiple others.

Unfortunately many times this can't be fixed , so the fish if it doesn't get better, it either dies or lives the rest his fishy life flipping when he swims.

Keep a really close eye because the wasting and flipping Could be related.

• Like 1