Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Fishfreak's foxy BC29: Brine Shrimp!

fishfreak0114

fishfreak0114

I can't believe everything that plate coral's been through!

Me neither, it's incredible that it's still around. I'm hoping it makes it through this too!

• Like 1

Me neither, it's incredible that it's still around. I'm hoping it makes it through this too!

Me too! And your other corals are looking very happy!! I feel like a lot less of a newbie since I can actually tell what they are now, and they're not just a bunch of un-named cool-looking stuff.

• Like 1

FTS looks awesome! Don't worry about the sps, you can always try again later when the tank is more mature.

Good luck with the cardinal, he's cute :)

The pest jar is a great idea!

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

I'm thinking that I'll just leave the SPS well alone and fill the top rock with softies instead :) much easier

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

The cardinal is eating so I'm happy :) if it gets ich I don't know how I'm supposed to tell, white spots are part of the pattern lol. It seems healthy though.

• Like 2
fishfreak0114

Few quick updates:

The cardinal still looks good, no ich that I can see and gobbling down food like there's no tomorrow.

The colt coral broke into 3 and became detached somehow, so I put toothpicks through the bases and rubber banded them to a rock.

The sunny d's already have a new head growing!

One of the new mushrooms came detached, so I'll have to fix that

My limpets are breeding like rabbits! Yesterday I saw a big one in my pod pile, these four were in the middle chamber, and the return chamber held 5 more that I could see! :D

image_zpsbcvfskbe.jpeg

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
fishfreak0114

Well this morning hasn't been great. I got a text from my mom saying that Pingu was sick and I needed to come over immediately. I got there, and he was laying on his side on the bottom, barely breathing and so pale his stripes barely showed up.

My mom had put in an airstone this morning because she thought oxygen levels were low. Our seachem prime bottle has a tiny pin sized hole in it for using, but the hole tab popped off last night and she added WAY too much. I didn't now this until this morning. She had googled it and found no ill effects to over dosed prime. I looked closely, but Pingu doesn't have ich, or any other visible issues. He was just limp. At one point I thought he died.

So I whipped up 4L of saltwater and did a quick water change. I also added a bag of activated carbon. I tried feeding him but he wouldn't eat. And then I waited...

And he seems better! Within minutes his stripes had returned, almost as black as usual, and he left the bottom. Now he is swimming all over. I think it was just low oxygen. Thoughts? If he's still ok on Monday, I think he can go into the main tank.

fishfreak0114

I realize I haven't posted updates in quite a while. I've been super busy getting ready for exams! So here it goes:

The plates condition has continued to get worse, I did two more iodine ups but it doesn't seem to help, I'll do another soon. I think it's hopeless. The acan is also declining. It's really never done good. The dendro seems to be going down hill now, very slowly. It's never opened.

I placed the cabbage leathers, the colt coral is almost attached I think and then it will go up too! I've been thinking more about what I want to do with top of my scape. I definitely want at least 1 more toadstool. It'd be kind of neat to make a toadstool garden! I always check the classifieds on Canreef, and someone was just selling a bunch. Unfortunately I didn't have any money at the time.

I have a bunch of pics I'll post later! I'll keep Pingu's condition updated! :)

fishfreak0114

So Pingu seems ok now? FTS looks great!

Thanks teeny! :)

He seemed better earlier, but now he's as bad as before :(. I'm hoping he pulls through. I did another 4L wc this afternoon in case it's the water itself. I really have no clue what could have gone wrong overnight now

fishfreak0114

Pingu didn't make it through the night :(:( :( Im seriously considering not getting more fish, I don't think I can take it if another dies. This was the worst by far being that there had been absolutely nothing wrong with him until yesterday. He was going to go into the main tank tomorrow too. I always feel like it's my fault. Maybe I should QT for less time next time? I'm worried he could have got Idk depression, or something?

Maybe I'm just a failure. Maybe I'm just not good at keeping saltwater fish. Maybe my livestock would be better off with someone else. Maybe it's all my fault Pingu's dead because I couldn't figure out what was wrong. Maybe I should just quit like I've been threatening to do since the first time something died (but I know I won't).

Sorry to rant, totally ignore me. It just helps to write it down sometimes. I'll try to get the rest of the pics up later today, I was a little preoccupied yesterday.

fishfreak0114

I thought it was time to switch up the name of my thread! "My bc29 build thread" is no more

Pics!

35505226302_5290c134c0_b.jpgbc29 7_zpsurfpjde9 by orb1915, on Flickr

I'm thinking of buying a traphyphyllia brain soon. This one is so happy now that I feed it lots. And the half dead plate in the back

image_zpskikv0oer.jpeg

You can see how it has no tissue on the ridges. I wish there was someone local I could give it to to try and nurse it back to health. It just doesn't like my tank. Maybe I'll be able to give it to someone if I go out of town

image_zpsf9oig5v1.jpeg

The sunny d's have already gone from 2 to 4 polyps with more on the way! :D

image_zpsokyxpb8u.jpeg

Bad photo, but the purple and green Favia has regained its color and is even brighter than when I got it since I moved it up higher! :) It was totally browned out before.

image_zpsy8jr2jh5.jpeg

I'm pretty sure te toadstool has grown a bit since I got it. It's one of my favourites! I think I'll get more, should the opportunity arise

image_zps4nzomjm2.jpeg

This is where I placed the leathers, next to the toadstool

• Like 2
fishfreak0114

Well, I have 2 detached mushrooms and the small little cabbage leather under a tuperware in my tank because my glue turned solid :lol: apparently I don't know how to close lids. I'll pick more glue up on the weekend. The colt coral still hasn't attached to its rock, but in time it will I suppose. I might be going into kelowna this weekend, the nearest place with salty fish stores, in which case I'll get more glue, epoxy, hopefully a trachy brain (they always have nice ones for $60), and someone is selling a bunch of frags on the local reef FB group, so I would consider stopping by. If I do, I think I'd give him the plate, acan and dendro if he'd take them, just to see if he could nurse them back to health. Clearly, they're not gonna do good in my tank, so at least they'd have a chance.

Just gonna make a fishy to do list, I keep forgetting stuff that I want to do in the near future:

Glue mushrooms and cabbage leather -done

Move marble favia

Move watermelon zoas

Place mushroom rock -done

Light cycle vid

Tank vid

Clean QT with bleach

Catch jim and the porcelain crab

Touch up stand paint

Clean salt creep

Vinegar soak powerhead

Clean return pump

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

I went into kelowna yesterday, and as per usual, I spent way more than I planned. I seem to always spend into my next paycheck before I get it :lol: I didn't end up giving the guy those corals because we'd already left by the time he responded. I got 5 frags from him though. I'm a little worried, because they had hair algae (not a problem) which covered the bubble algae and *shudder* aiptasia. I cut off as much of the plugs as possible, and glued little bits with zoas attached onto rubble. Then, I used tweezers to remove the hair and bubble algae. I very carefully used a needle to put peroxide on the algae patches. I scraped of the visible aiptasia and used the syringe to lemon juice the spot. Then I did the usual dip. So I think I did pretty good, but I'm still worried. I suppose if I get bubble algae I'll get an emerald crab, and if I get aiptasia I'll get either peppermint shrimp or bergia nudis. I got a brain too from the pet store!!! Pics coming soon! :D

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Imma upload some pics now. Maybe not all depending on when I eat dinner :D

FTS

image_zpsisxmn74f.jpeg

this is the most it's polyps have come out in ages

image_zpsylv0jhmn.jpeg

My hard core pest removal station

image_zpsctvo21l5.jpegj

I think when I have money I'll get another of these. It's just so pretty!!!

image_zps94yd5eba.jpeg

Nasty

image_zpsexcfdc4e.jpeg

image_zpshugakn3y.jpeg

I❤️Brains

image_zpsjb46ogyk.jpeg

image_zpsoupmhnrk.jpeg

image_zpsylv0jhmn.jpeg

image_zps2g0s1k2c.jpeg

image_zpsm8zuwfor.jpeg

Dragon eyes

image_zps1xpaxnes.jpeg

Blue kiss, but not really open yet

image_zpsov8eelin.jpeg

Nuclear greens

image_zpsocwmfojw.jpeg

Alpha and omega. They really pop!

image_zpseqrngq1p.jpeg

Trumpet (I've wanted one with these colours for a long time)

image_zpstkehv3lr.jpeg

That concludes the images.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Jim lives on! If only I could catch him. He always comes up to the surface to mock me when I look in the back.

image_zpsh70blvrs.jpeg

And in very exciting news (at least to me), my hammer is growing a bud! It's only ever split before. The bud is super tiny, and it has the cutest little tentacle thingies. I'll try and get a pic tomorrow.

Also, I've started taking video of my tank for a "tank video" :D

And back to freshwater (sorry but this is the only forum I'm on and sometimes I need to share :) ) I got a pair of German blue Rams today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've wanted these for a long time, but I didn't feel experienced enough. However, I set up my 36 gallon with the intention of a pair being the highlights. Also, I just noticed that I have ich, so hopefully they do ok with the treatment. Here's Alex and Gloria!

image_zpsliwl4zc7.jpeg

Gloria!

image_zpsflxj7fgs.jpeg

• Like 1

Can't believe that plate is still hanging on!

That's too bad about the fw fish having ich. Hopefully they pull through okay. Alex is my name too! :)

• Like 1