Innovative Marine Aquariums

Fishfreak's foxy BC29: Brine Shrimp!

fishfreak0114

Mines done great too, until I changed the flow and the skin got blown off, which let the infection in. It's still pissed being in a Tupperware with no flow and all, its filaments are out. I'll put it back in the DT when I get home. Hopefully it recovers. I'm really glad I didn't chuck it, (at one point it looked like it was falling apart, a total goner and I didn't want to infect anything else).

Good luck with its recovery! Keep it low and out of strong light and give it time and target feed mysys. It should come around. I've found it to be a resilient coral. Also, I've found it prefers low light. I keep mine on the bottom and in a cave.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Thanks :). It's been in a fair amount of light since I got it, and it seemed to love it, however it will be staying on the bottom for a while. That thing devours any food I throw it's way.

fishfreak0114

I got my corals!!! Picked them up at the UPS warehouse around 5:30 last night, and they all seem good. They were still nice and warm! I'm really impressed with Canada Corals packing. They were each in a small skinny double layered bag, and the ones on plugs had a foam ring attached so that they floated upside down. And they gave me a freebie :). A mushroom. Everything is looking happy and starting to open, I'll try to get pics later. Or tomorrow. I'm a little nervous because on friday I leave for a 5 day trip, so I'm hoping there's no issues with the new stuff.

• Like 1

I got my corals!!! Picked them up at the UPS warehouse around 5:30 last night, and they all seem good. They were still nice and warm! I'm really impressed with Canada Corals packing. They were each in a small skinny double layered bag, and the ones on plugs had a foam ring attached so that they floated upside down. And they gave me a freebie :). A mushroom. Everything is looking happy and starting to open, I'll try to get pics later. Or tomorrow. I'm a little nervous because on friday I leave for a 5 day trip, so I'm hoping there's no issues with the new stuff.

Nice!! Acclimate them and get them in! They should be fine for five days. Hope you have an ATO!

They may do better without you starring at them for a week. ☺️

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
:lol: my staring probably does bother the lol, cause I always notice something and fiddle with it. my mom will be home to take care of the tank because it's a school trip, I just worry about aggression because the sand bed is REALLY tightly packed.

:lol: my staring probably does bother the lol, cause I always notice something and fiddle with it. my mom will be home to take care of the tank because it's a school trip, I just worry about aggression because the sand bed is REALLY tightly packed.

Aggression with corals? You should be fine so long as they have their space.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

They don't really have their space right now though. Can the Duncans touch each other? That could make a bit of room. I'm also going to attach the mushroom today. And probably move the feather dusters so it will be better after that.

Not really relevant any more, but here was the Duncan when it wasn't doing good. The top head is already cut off here.

image_zps40qvtxut.jpeg

An this is it after the iodine dip and a night in isolation. It puffed up pretty quick

image_zps0fnaw77t.jpeg

The lobo and acan have seen improvement since the dips and getting fed regularly. This is the lobo about a week ago. I'll snap a new pic today if I remember. I think cutting the skeleton back was the right choice, it kind of looks like it's starting to heal over it

image_zpsxypjdcj5.jpeg

This is the average snail density. No wonder I don't have much algae :lol:

image_zps9rsf32dt.jpeg

The scoly wasn't even fazed by shipping. Or the dip. It stayed waiting for food so I gave it some mysis when it went in the tankimage_zpsv8vdkfnh.jpeg

Freebie!!!

image_zps7g4wmtke.jpeg

Bad lighting, but the dusters are a super pretty yellow

image_zpsamsrw9nb.jpeg

The acclimation setup

image_zpstv8ctqk9.jpeg

• Like 2
fishfreak0114

Thanks :). I'm not sure if the scoly is ok. It kind of looks like part skeleton when I got home today. I'll see what it's like tomorrow. Doesn't really make sense because it looked great when I got it.

I'd say give the scoly some time. Probably just po'd from the boxing and travel and new home conditions.

Keep your tank clean and keep up on WC schedule and you'll be fine. If it doesn't make it; just chalk it up to one of the corals that don't seem to like your tank. There are always some for whatever reason.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

It looks a tiny bit better now. I'm going to try an get it eating (well my mom will while I'm gone). The lobo is improving awesomely, I looked at it today and even has noticeable improvement from yesterday. I think it'll make a full recovery from whatever was going on. Still not sure about the acan, but it seems puffier.

The new Duncan is a really pretty color :). I already glue it up next to the other owned spot. Also, because the other one seems good now I put it back. I'll tell my mom to keep an eye on them.

image_zpsrrqnibkm.jpeg

The dendro has yet to open. It moves around a lot!

image_zpsc927jsyw.jpeg

The Blasto practically glows. So cool! :D

image_zpstvfjz2ko.jpeg

I put the dusters in more permanent spots now. This was before I moved it. I used a bit of epoxy on the end of their tubes to secure them in the rock

image_zpsonz1ssby.png

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
fishfreak0114

So there is some good right now and some bad in the world of corals. The Blasto and Duncans re doing great! The lobo is nearly to its previous glory. The acans seem puffier.

On the other hand, the walking dendro is slowly declining. It simply won't open to feed! I've just been dropping food on it at night with the pumps off even though it's closed but it doesn't seem to be working. Suggestions??? I really don't want to lose it. Also, the jazz berry scoly is still not terribly happy, but it may recover. ive been trying to feed it too, and I have seen some feeders come out.

• 2 weeks later...
netsecpro

WOW! I just got done reading through your thread and it looks like our trials and tribulations have been very similar.You have inspired me to go and create a history/build thread for my BC29. In the end, you will see how I got to this:

IMG_9664.jpg

• Like 2
fishfreak0114

WOW! I just got done reading through your thread and it looks like our trials and tribulations have been very similar.You have inspired me to go and create a history/build thread for my BC29. In the end, you will see how I got to this:

]

Wow thanks for reading :) Nice tank!!! How old is it?

Some not so happy news, the scoly didn't make it, one night it still had flesh, the next day it was basically a skeleton. The dendro isn't looking to hot either. Every night I turn off the pumps and try to feed it frozen, and I've just started covering it when I do that with a little cup, but I don't think it's eating. It's mouth seems to gape :(. Everything else is doing good, the monti looked to be bleaching but it stopped after my wc (maybe something was off?) and the acan was having a bit of recession on the tops of the ridges, but it stopped when I moved it away from the toadstool. The toadstool is fabulous! I love that thing so much. It's still living on my sand bed because it didn't like where I tried to put it. I might try somewhere else soon.

I've been pondering final stocking options. I have a thread in the fish forum, but I'll post here too. So I really like bangaii cardinals. I'm considering getting that instead. Here are my possible combo ideas...

1. Tailspot and royal gramma as I'd planned

2. Tailspot and a bangaii

3. A pair of bangaiis

4. One bangaii

Would any particular thing work best with what I have now?

fishfreak0114

Ok so I know I've been neglecting this thread a bit, no FTS for a long time. I'll try to get one up later tonight. I just haven't felt like it lately. My new heavy feeding regime has been catching up with the tank, and I've been getting a bit of cyano the last couple days on the sand. I did an extra wc yesterday (16l) and I'll do the normal one this weekend. I have a feeling this is going to become a regular thing. My mom agreed to buy me a new protein skimmer! I'm going to make a rack to rest it on like Rpc suggested :)

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Pics finally! I've placed quite a few things since the last FTS. Any ideas for feeding the dendro? Every night I put frozen on it and cover it so that it doesn't get stolen, but it won't open and eat!

I couldn't get a clear pic no matter how hard I tried!

image_zps2qw43cty.jpeg

image_zpsq4nslegf.jpeg

image_zpsndxumsom.jpeg

image_zpspan9kl9q.jpeg

image_zpsgglojbt9.jpeg

image_zpsogrgnkdg.jpeg

image_zpsra14dovj.jpeg

I might try the toadstool where the monti is now.

image_zpsfsac7en4.jpeg

This is my view from the couch :D

image_zpsjfdiq5ce.jpeg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
fishfreak0114

I did another extra wc today after checking parameters and finding phosphates at 0.03. It down to about 0.01 now. I had a bit of a mishap, I've been using a filter to mix my water, but it doesn't work very well. I set it up this morning and I thought it would be mixed like usual, but I poured the water into the tank to see about half the salt sitting unmixed in my bucket!!! I practically had a heart attack, I rushed to put some water in the bucket and swirl it to mixed which took me less than a minute. Everything seems ok, sg is a bit lower than usual but not unsafe.

The whip gorgonian has been losing a bit of tissue on the ends of branches which I'm hoping stops, Felicia is helping me figure out what's wrong :)

I have a bangaii cardinal on hold, which I plan on picking up this Saturday! :). My QT will have to be re set up because it's a mess right now. Unfortunately still no tailspot.

I just read through your whole thread. What an adventure!

I am just starting a Biocube 29. I'm very excited as I just finished cycling! :D

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Going to re-set up the 10gallon QT. and it's wc night. I can't wait to get a new fish! I think i might get another nassarious too, and maybe she'll have some nice corals :)

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Going to re-set up the 10gallon QT. and it's wc night. I can't wait to get a new fish! I think i might get another nassarious too, and maybe she'll have some nice corals :)

So I've been meaning to post of few updates but I'm lazy so I'll catch up now. The monti is no more. It looked like crap for ages and finally I realized that it was no longer living and coraline was growing on the skeleton, so no more SPS for me :(

The plate got a bacterial infection, so I did an iodine dip and I'm planning to do another tonight.

image_zpsl3xbba9e.jpegg

image_zpsn59jtlvf.jpeg

Some pics of happy corals!

image_zps8ervkjwh.jpeg

image_zps6zzuffxm.jpeg

image_zpscdmbpobs.jpeg

image_zpsjsbjaifg.jpeg

The other day I finally saw an asterina with 5 legs!

image_zpsxjmqwtjx.jpeg

The lid of the QT doesn't fit with the aquaclear, so I broke out the hot glue gun and made a makeshift lid extension

image_zpsyvshxkzb.jpeg

FTS!

image_zps7bhkkjwz.jpeg

image_zpsugmjdkoc.jpeg

image_zpspes2egfg.jpeg

I bought WAY more than I intended to (as usual :P)

I traded 3 GSP frags for mushrooms

image_zpsb2cedhjj.jpeg

I got this tiny leather which I think is a cabbage leather

image_zpsc7j5qkxg.jpeg

A colt coral

image_zpsmh3g4bxz.jpeg

The cardinal! Right now it's in QT

image_zpsxczgfd2w.jpeg

A fairly small green cabbage leather

image_zpskutbbx5u.jpeg

Sunny D's

image_zps7sbuexbx.jpeg

I started up a little jar about a month and a half ago, it had a really long cycle, and the snails are still catching up so please excuse the algae. In it I am keeping majanos, aiptasia and bubble algae so far, all of which were added yesterday :)

image_zpspyqglyy1.jpeg

image_zpsfghgh68e.jpeg

image_zpsn5msqjbi.jpeg

• Like 2