Top Shelf Aquatics

********The Euphyllia Club********

CosmicCanine

CosmicCanine

My green torch that I've had 4 years. Started from a single head. My favorite coral.

Torch-2015_zpslx0k12gx.jpg

Excuse my language, but that is ####ing BEAUTiFUL!

I want to be part of the cool kids club

20150317_173855_zpsyzpmugam.jpg

never mind the dirty glass it's an ongoing battle, but I'm happy to report I'm finally starting to win

I like the mounting idea... very unique. torch is sexayyy!

• Like 1
righttirefire

I like the mounting idea... very unique. torch is sexayyy!

none of my corals are mounted yet. I'm growing out everything, trying my luck. Going to add a bubble tip in about a month and want it to get happy before i mount. So everything is on frag plugs, egg crate, and suction cups
  • Like 1
CosmicCanine

My Purple torch is doing FANTASTIC! Its already splitting both heads into 4 haha! my octospawn has 2 mouths, and also has 4 babies growing off the skeleton! Sadly the green torch isnt doing so hot, it only opens maybe 1/2 inch and it wont eat. its been like that for about 3 weeks..... idk... oh well.

ReefSafeSolutions

Lots of torch love in this thread...I've been looking for a single head torch but my fish store only has massive pieces that I can't afford! So naturally, I bought a frogspawn to scratch the itch for while...two heads for $14!

836F4EE3-16CC-4172-9863-D902E8DAA41C_zps

• Like 1
righttirefire

Is my torch broken? It doesn't take food. I've try mysis shrimp, it'll will grab it but ultimately let's it go. I've tried sinking pellets, but it just opens up and the pellets roll right out.

CosmicCanine

Everyone go check out my latest video on my purple torch! Shes a growin! Make sure to leave a like and a comment <3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9RM3NgoknA

Lots of torch love in this thread...I've been looking for a single head torch but my fish store only has massive pieces that I can't afford! So naturally, I bought a frogspawn to scratch the itch for while...two heads for $14!

836F4EE3-16CC-4172-9863-D902E8DAA41C_zps

Thats a steal! Nice color too!

• Like 1

Is my torch broken? It doesn't take food. I've try mysis shrimp, it'll will grab it but ultimately let's it go. I've tried sinking pellets, but it just opens up and the pellets roll right out.

Thats normal for a torch. Even when leaving the pumps completely off for a while, the torch may not actually bring the food into its mouth. I wouldn't worry all that much. You don't even really need to spot feed torches.

ReefSafeSolutions

Everyone go check out my latest video on my purple torch! Shes a growin! Make sure to leave a like and a comment <3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9RM3NgoknA

Thats a steal! Nice color too!

Love that purple torch! The itch is coming back...those things are just too cool. Love the long tentacles. I may have to devote a corner of my tank to the mighty Euphyllias!

righttirefire

Hmm... I was kind of hoping for a single head at 20. He stated he'd frag more... but the voice of reason shines through. I don't need that right now. No new livestock until after the move

But it's a branching hammer. Which might not be special to you. But I don't come across them out here

• Like 2

Hmm... I was kind of hoping for a single head at 20. He stated he'd frag more... but the voice of reason shines through. I don't need that right now. No new livestock until after the move

But it's a branching hammer. Which might not be special to you. But I don't come across them out here

Well if they're hard to find and you won't miss $20, go for it! I have a wall hammer myself, I'm certain I paid way too much for it anyway so you'll have a sympathiser if you end up deciding it isn't a great deal :D

• Like 1

Got my first torch frag in the mail today and it is PISSED! How long do they usually take to rebound from shipping stress?

Couple days usually, my pink frog took around two weeks to start looking normal when I first got it, picked it up from LFS as soon as it was delivered. Medium turbulent flow, don't keep moving it around and it should start opening up in time. How pissed are we talking? Got a picture?

• Like 1

Couple days usually, my pink frog took around two weeks to start looking normal when I first got it, picked it up from LFS as soon as it was delivered. Medium turbulent flow, don't keep moving it around and it should start opening up in time. How pissed are we talking? Got a picture?

It's starting to look better today already. Not fully extended, but at least the tentacles are beginning to wave in the currents. Yesterday it looked so completely deflated I was pretty sure It was going to die. I'll get a picture to post a bit later. This was the only coral in the package that looked so bad yesterday.

Edit: Here's the pic. Sorry it's so purple, cell phone camera.

20150409_1013171_zpsb9zxvghv.jpg

• Like 1

Looks fine to me, it will be a couple days before it inflates fully but if that's only after a day I imagine that coral will be very happy in your tank.

hey everyone, im so glad i found this thread, i love euphyllia coral, mostly hammers :). anyway i wanted to share an experience, im pretty sure my hammer had an attempt at spawning. i wanted to see if anyone else had the same experiance

Got my first Euphyllia yesterday. Was at my LFS with a friend helping him get stuff for a planted tank setup, not intending to buy anything(yeah right). I saw this poor hammer sitting in a tank with crap lights an no flow. It was just barely poking the tips of it's tentacles out of it's skeleton. It seems to like my tank better.

154afba.jpg

Question for you all - the heads are only about 1.4 inches max when fully out. I am assuming they will get quite a bit larger as they grow?

• Like 1

I still want that hammer! Maybe tomorrow. I just don't like the wall variety. Am I weird?

Get it. Not weird at all, I personally don't go much on branching, each to their own when it comes to corals. :D

hey everyone, im so glad i found this thread, i love euphyllia coral, mostly hammers :). anyway i wanted to share an experience, im pretty sure my hammer had an attempt at spawning. i wanted to see if anyone else had the same experiance

Never seen it happen in my tank, mine just splits into new mouths. Sounds neat, did you happen to get any pictures?

Question for you all - the heads are only about 1.4 inches max when fully out. I am assuming they will get quite a bit larger as they grow?

Some varieties have smaller tentacles but the general rule is that they will grow with time, some of my hammer tentacles are about as long as yours but grow very thick. Keep the parameters stable and feed them every couple of days for best growth. That is an awesome colony btw, opening up very nicely.