Pod Your Reef

My little POTO- SPS heavy mixed reef

Slowtwitch

lilmatty5dimes

Wow... 41 sps in the tank. you my friend do have a problem. Lol how much are you dosing to keep up with depletion.

FTS looks great.

Slowtwitch

Wow... 41 sps in the tank. you my friend do have a problem. Lol how much are you dosing to keep up with depletion.

FTS looks great.

50ml alk and 25 ml cal daily. I expect this will go up as a few are starting to really grow.

Yeah I didn't count LPS, leathers, zoas,or shrooms...?

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Drained the tank today to catch a rabbit fish that had outgrown the space available. What fun. He was replaced with a tiny tang i picked up yesterday for just a few bucks at the LFS. The rabbit has a new home in the big tank where he can grow to his hearts content. I'm thinking of setting up a grow tank for several different caulerpa species to feed all the herbivores.

No ill effects noticeable in the corals. Things were a little slimy after the water was back but polyps were back out on almost all sps within 30 mins. Total time out of water was less than ten minutes for those at the very top of the rocks.

On another note, the new additions seem to be adjusting just fine. The CC Fireball is coloring up nicely. The Cherry Limeaid is encrusting it's new plug. The Vivid Rainbow is browned out but has good polyp extension everyday. I'm sure once I figure out where it wants to be lightwise it'll be fine.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

So, Vermitid snails, good thing or bad?

I have this acro frag that kind of got placed in the back of a frag rack when I first got it. It sat there for a good six months with absolutely no growth until I finally placed it in the rock work a few weeks ago. The plug had a couple of vermitid snails on it which I thought I crushed when I glued the plug to the rock. The frag has since encrusted the plug completely including the not dead snail tubes which are continuing to grow just slightly faster than the coral can encrust them. Will these turn into branches of a nice acro colony at some point or just continue to be very thinly covered tubes that will eventually break off? I'm going to let nature happen and find out. :D

OyYLky2.jpg

JeiINCl.jpg

• Like 6

You have more SPS than I do I think, and a smaller tank. :D

I don't sweat the snails, gives the acros something to encrust over. I might break it off which may do a good job killing or trapping it.

• Like 1

Drained the tank today to catch a rabbit fish that had outgrown the space available. What fun. He was replaced with a tiny tang i picked up yesterday for just a few bucks at the LFS. The rabbit has a new home in the big tank where he can grow to his hearts content. I'm thinking of setting up a grow tank for several different caulerpa species to feed all the herbivores.

No ill effects noticeable in the corals. Things were a little slimy after the water was back but polyps were back out on almost all sps within 30 mins. Total time out of water was less than ten minutes for those at the very top of the rocks.

On another note, the new additions seem to be adjusting just fine. The CC Fireball is coloring up nicely. The Cherry Limeaid is encrusting it's new plug. The Vivid Rainbow is browned out but has good polyp extension everyday. I'm sure once I figure out where it wants to be lightwise it'll be fine.

My tang won't eat caulerpa, the rabbit sure did. Test which plants your guys will eat before you do the macro grouw out with appropriate species.

• Like 2

You have more SPS than I do I think, and a smaller tank. :D

I don't sweat the snails, gives the acros something to encrust over. I might break it off which may do a good job killing or trapping it.

Yeah, I went on kind of a buying spree there for awhile... :blush:

My tang won't eat caulerpa, the rabbit sure did. Test which plants your guys will eat before you do the macro grouw out with appropriate species.

My rabbit and foxface can't get enough of it. The yellow tang and the sailfin both seem to enjoy the grape caulerpa that I have growing right now. I will certainly test the other varieties before I let them proliferate.

• Like 1

If it was me, I'd crush the vermetid snails while I can. In my 10g tank I've seen the same thing, and they usually keep growing just a little faster than the coral and never get covered up. And in my tank they have multiplied to an uncontrollable level, and they do irritate corals with their sweepers.

But every tank is different, and some people that have them never have problems with them getting out of control.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

For all you fans of the creepy crawlies. This guy came out to play today at feeding time. He lives in my sump now. I tried to get the picture with him fully stretched out, but he wasn't having it. I'd say he is almost 7 inches long when hes reaching out of his hole.

BgP4B5l.jpg

• Like 3

For all you fans of the creepy crawlies. This guy came out to play today at feeding time. He lives in my sump now. I tried to get the picture with him fully stretched out, but he wasn't having it. I'd say he is almost 7 inches long when hes reaching out of his hole.

BgP4B5l.jpg

:huh::blink::eek:

• Like 2

Yeah, everybody here but me said to flush it. I told them all no way. Its waay too coool! B)

Wife would Say... "Kill IT!!"

I'm like "No WAY!!!" Too cool ;) As long as it leaves stuff alone :lol:

• Like 2

If it was me, I'd crush the vermetid snails while I can. In my 10g tank I've seen the same thing, and they usually keep growing just a little faster than the coral and never get covered up. And in my tank they have multiplied to an uncontrollable level, and they do irritate corals with their sweepers.

But every tank is different, and some people that have them never have problems with them getting out of control.

yes crush/snap them off or cut them off. They are a nuisance and can irritate some sps and will spread so even though its not bothering that one it could bother others.

• 2 weeks later...

zZyu7Jb.jpg?1

Still need to play with the settings a bit, but the new QuadW is in and functional. :D

Sorry the image is kind of grainy. All I had was my cell camera.

• Like 4

zZyu7Jb.jpg?1

Still need to play with the settings a bit, but the new QuadW is in and functional. :D

Sorry the image is kind of grainy. All I had was my cell camera.

Jeez.........Saltcritters would love your pics!

Let's see a shot of the light itself....maybe a top down?

• Like 1

Just for you Jack...The big white patch at the top of the rocks is where my Season's Greetings colony was removed. It will get relocated to a different spot once I get some things sorted out and frags sold off.

dqfNBnM.jpg

gr17SyV.jpg

a0DQFKe.jpg

Too damn crowded in here...time to start culling things

Sf3zkmI.jpg

Jeez.........Saltcritters would love your pics!
Let's see a shot of the light itself....maybe a top down?

• Like 4

Looking great buddy!

I like that light and the stuffed tank.

How you liking the BBC?

Miss the sand at all?

I do not miss the sand at all.

I like a BBC as much as the next guy, but not sure what that has to do with my tank....? :unsure::blush:

• Like 2

I do not miss the sand at all.

I like a BBC as much as the next guy, but not sure what that has to do with my tank....? :unsure::blush:

LOL......I read your post over and over......what the funk is Dr Twitchy talking about the BBC for?

Stupid autocorrect .....BB = Bare Bottom.....not BBC.

• Like 3

LMFAO!

LOL......I read your post over and over......what the funk is Dr Twitchy talking about the BBC for?

Stupid autocorrect .....BB = Bare Bottom.....not BBC.

I figured that's all it was, but then why do you type BBC enough that it auto corrects to that? :rolleyes:

• Like 4

LMFAO!

I figured that's all it was, but then why do you type BBC enough that it auto corrects to that? :rolleyes:

New phone.......it hasn't become familiar with my vocabulary......it even changed #### to funk.....wtf, autocorrect?

• Like 4

Took a few top downs today while I had the pumps off for cleaning. I have to say I like the color of the new light a lot. We'll see how things continue to react as intensity ramps up. Settings are pretty low right now to prevent bleaching. Not sure if it is coincidence or not, but several pieces have started sending up vertical growth in the past couple of days that hadn't in the several months since they went in the tank.

jHEl94K.jpg

Tc7G0KV.jpg

VrgDuGh.jpg

k7Pepre.jpg

6u3YfQ0.jpg

J0JtWDJ.jpg

PU9pgA6.jpg

FvF1kdA.jpg

• Like 3