Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Innovative Marine Fusion 10 Club

obeythefro

I'm running the stock return pump and an MP10. I find the return pump weak as if it doesn't turn over as much water as it should. Has anyone replaced the return pump? And what did you replace it with?

• Like 1

So I just found an old MiniJet 404 and it's like 108 gph, so not much different than the stock pump....and WOW! What a world of difference! I'm getting way better flow from this pump than I got from the stock pump. There's no way it's pushing 98gph. I had a film of "stuff" building up on top of my water from the lack of circulation and now it's all gone.

So if anyone is hesitating on switching pumps, don't! It'll make a world of difference!

• Like 1

I agree, if you are relying on the stock pump for all your flow, you will want to upgrade. Or at least remove the little flow director piece from the return :)

I have an MP10 in my tank for flow, so I actually prefer the slower flow of the stock pump so that it doesn't run through the floss and carbon too fast.

I decided the screen cover that comes with the Nuvo was too obstructive. The frame is really thick and the netting is really dense and created shadows over my tank. So I made one out of scraps I had left from my previous tank.

I no longer have those little square shadows anymore over my scape and more light goes in the tank.

IMG_0537_zpsqw78xdrw.jpg

• Like 1

Hi. I have been thinking about adding a refugium/sump to my IM 10 setup. The idea would be to add more water volume, a place to grow pods, maybe place an algae scrubber, and also just for fun ;)

Since drilling the IM 10 which is already running would be a hassle, I'm thinking... What if the sump goes above the IM10? I would drill the overflow to the sump tank (high so that power loss won't spill/overflow the IM 10.

Any thoughts?

I decided the screen cover that comes with the Nuvo was too obstructive. The frame is really thick and the netting is really dense and created shadows over my tank. So I made one out of scraps I had left from my previous tank.

I no longer have those little square shadows anymore over my scape and more light goes in the tank.

IMG_0537_zpsqw78xdrw.jpg

Loos nice! Now where can I get that kind of mesh?
HarryPotter

Hi. I have been thinking about adding a refugium/sump to my IM 10 setup. The idea would be to add more water volume, a place to grow pods, maybe place an algae scrubber, and also just for fun ;)

Since drilling the IM 10 which is already running would be a hassle, I'm thinking... What if the sump goes above the IM10? I would drill the overflow to the sump tank (high so that power loss won't spill/overflow the IM 10.

Any thoughts?

Or just make an overflow box to the IM 10?

Mesh is from BRS or Marine Depot- clear 1/4 netting. I have a TON if you want some- just PM me and it'll be a few bucks for shipping :)

• Like 1

Any thoughts?

Yeah. The mesh I got from BRS. The only bad thing about that is that they fold it and leaves crease marks. So if you order it from them add a note not to fold it and roll it instead, if possible.

But the difference is significant. This mesh is really thin and doesn't obstruct light like the IM mesh screen. The frame was huge on that. I get way more light this way.

Or just make an overflow box to the IM 10?

Mesh is from BRS or Marine Depot- clear 1/4 netting. I have a TON if you want some- just PM me and it'll be a few bucks for shipping :)

Yes, that is an option, but I have the impression that those overflow boxes tend to trap bubbles and stop working, unless you add an aqua lifter pump, besides looks ugly IMO.

Placing the sump/refugium above will not require the overflow box and will not require drilling the IM 10. Only inconvenience is that it will not be easy to hide (vs. under cabinet), but I like the idea of a "display" refugium.

I think that this setup will require for me to upgrade the return pump of the IM 10 (I already upgraded it, but still, this will require a larger one) and maybe the return back from sump to main tank will be by gravity (syphon). Just have to make sure that the sump overflow is high enough so that in case of power loss not much water will go down to IM 10.

Also, I think that in this setting, evaporation level will not show up in the sump, but in the return chamber of IM 10, isn't it?

What else could I be missing?

For those of you that run an MP 10 in your Fusion's, what setting do you use? I'm planning on only zoas and LPS.

I run mine on the third dot using Reef Crest mode. I have LPS, Softies and SPS as well. Everyone is happy :)

• Like 1

I built a 2.5 gallon sump that sits behind my tank. works super well. grows chaeto like crazy. I can take some pics if you'd like. Didnt drill my tank at all.

Bella's Reef

RW-4 Users just ordered one what settings etc.. do you run and positioning on tank? I currently have my Koralia 240 underneath my overflow.

HarryPotter

I built a 2.5 gallon sump that sits behind my tank. works super well. grows chaeto like crazy. I can take some pics if you'd like. Didnt drill my tank at all.

Pictures? :)

Im guessing you used an overflow box?

RW-4 Users just ordered one what settings etc.. do you run and positioning on tank? I currently have my Koralia 240 underneath my overflow.

I use mine on the W-1 and lowest speed and lowest interval. I just put it in 2 days ago though so have not had much time to test it. I also only have a CUC so hard to tell if it is moving too much water.

Currently I have it under the return and pointing at the front glass. It has moved all the sand from the front corner, so I think I will be angling it a little bit differently to keep that from happening.

With all that said, I love it so far. Really moves some water. Once I get corals in there I will know for sure!

Please share a pic and more details. Thanks!

IMG_0537_zpsqw78xdrw.jpg

Is that bubble coral? How is it doing in the IM 10? What lights do you have?

I also ordered one for my IM10. I'm prepared with a 12V power supply. I read that the stock 24V power supply will be too powerful for our tank and you will have to limit yourself to the lowest settings. Read that with the 12V it will run at 50% so you can take advantage of all the settings. I can't wait!

It will be replacing my Hydor Koralia Nano 240.

• Like 1

Thinking about jumping back into this hobby after a failed attempt with a Finnex 4 gal. mini reef. Seriously considering the IM10 but have a few questions. I'd like to use a Kessil A160WE for lighting but wonder if it would be overkill for such a small tank. Also, I had major problems with dust collecting in my open top Finnex and would like to install a piece of plexiglass or tempered glass over the display section of the Fusion. Would this be doable? I'd be worried about heat build up or compromised light penetration with such a cover. The only heat generating components would be the stock return pump and the Kessil light.

I'd really appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Kim

Is that bubble coral? How is it doing in the IM 10? What lights do you have?

That's a green hammer. So far, so good. And I run a NanoBox Tide.