Pod Your Reef

Kat's Birthday Party

metrokat

Gel filters are colored plastic sheets.

There are a few people selling little squares of these in various colors. When used with actinics, the blue is muted and the fluorescent corals really pop. Depending on the color of the gel filter used, the yellows can pop more, or the greens.

20150722_183250.jpg

Sooo, it doesn't mean putting gel coral glue on your lens? No wonder that didn't work for me. Damn.

• Like 4
StinkyBunny

We like to torture ourselves. Platforms are more comfortable. None are for walking however, a stroll at most.

They're not for walking other than to the bedroom. ;)

• Like 2

Going away for 2 weeks, back to back work trips this week, not happy about being away from home so long. My cat has not been feeling well, his blood work shows an overactive thyroid so he lost a rapid amount of weight in 2 weeks. He is on medication now. TS has to took after his kids, my tank and the cat. He's very good at doing all of that but he hasn't given Bogi his fluids yet and today is practice day. He was able to pill yesterday so that's one down. My nephew will feed my tank once a day, TS will feed the 2nd time.

Nutrients continue to be high, and while everybody is happy, when I come back I'm going to address it with some new things, to get color back in some corals that are healthy but not colorful.

27127547341_675866d1c3_b.jpg

Golden Rhomboid jumped last week beating-head-against-the-wall.gif

I was doing tank maintenance when he did that so I threw him back in the tank covered in cat hair within 10-15 seconds. He swam around in a daze for a bit then went and hid somewhere. He came out next day and is back to his usual self. He's a happy fish, and eats great. However he doesn't have the crowd pleaser antics like the Sixline did. I'm really pleased that he is a bold fish, I had read that they hide a lot and don't like high light but he is always out and about and will not hide even when I approach the tank.

Frag rack is back in the display. I'M SORRY DON'T BEAT ME! The fuge is having some issues that I need to figure out. On top of getting a lot of algae (which I have addressed with peroxide, scrubbing and cleaning), I also saw dinos. None in the display but they were there in the fuge which is so perplexing. Anyway. I have been using coral snow mixed with MB7 which is my go-to for anything microscopic that I can't figure out. So far the treatment has helped tremendously. fingerscrossed

Apollo photo bombing

27100648612_b13c45e138_b.jpg

Phoenix

27158744996_e0afc272c0_b.jpg

Branchy Dong

27096347332_e10644b2c9_b.jpg

• Like 5
StinkyBunny

We really had to turn and burn. My head was pounding from the drive up and back, I spent yesterday in my chair asleep most of the day. :(

I love your branchy dong! :lol:

I'm really glad to hear the golden rhomboid survived the jump. It freaked me out for a minute when I saw your post.

And I'm sorry to hear Bogi hasn't been doing well the last couple weeks. :( You're lucky to have a tank sitter that can give him his injections.

Good luck on your trip, I know it will be hard to be gone with some much going on at home. :flower:

• Like 2

Thanks Teeny. How are you doing, got that new tank yet?

I'm at the airport, I was feeling okay about leaving Bogi, yesterday was a good day, he was active and happy, he ate, he meowed. The day before yesterday he was in bad shape. His thyroid medication did not agree with him, he threw up everything he ate and had a watery stool. He had no strength left so he managed to smear himself in the litter box. I was in bad shape too, observing him. He spent he rest of the day sleeping, gave him fluids and he was much better yesterday. TS is going to start the meds again on the weekend, 1/2 the previous dosage. And if that doesn't work the vet said we will compound it to be given transdermally.

The tank is fine. 15 Gallons top off on the ready. 5g saltwater on the ready. My nephew will feed a pre measured bit of dry foods once a day, TS will feed one cube of mysis daily. I left the webcam on so I'll be watching. It will be nice to see the sun creeping up to the tank, I usually only get a chance to see it when it's fully bathed in sunlight.

:)

• Like 6

I used to enjoy traveling, I still have friends in every city I visit, but I suppose the more things that draw your heartstrings, the more you like to stay home. Or maybe it is old age. Ha ha.

• Like 4

Thanks Teeny. How are you doing, got that new tank yet?

I'm at the airport, I was feeling okay about leaving Bogi, yesterday was a good day, he was active and happy, he ate, he meowed. The day before yesterday he was in bad shape. His thyroid medication did not agree with him, he threw up everything he ate and had a watery stool. He had no strength left so he managed to smear himself in the litter box. I was in bad shape too, observing him. He spent he rest of the day sleeping, gave him fluids and he was much better yesterday. TS is going to start the meds again on the weekend, 1/2 the previous dosage. And if that doesn't work the vet said we will compound it to be given transdermally.

The tank is fine. 15 Gallons top off on the ready. 5g saltwater on the ready. My nephew will feed a pre measured bit of dry foods once a day, TS will feed one cube of mysis daily. I left the webcam on so I'll be watching. It will be nice to see the sun creeping up to the tank, I usually only get a chance to see it when it's fully bathed in sunlight.

:)

The new tank came in yesterday, thanks for asking!

That's so scary to have him struggling so much right when you are planning to leave. I'm so glad he was better by the time you actually left. Hopefully the new treatment will help.

I never see my tank at dawn. Unless I stay up all night :lol:

I'm actually 62. It finally hit me when I GASP bought one of those off the shelf reading glasses. :o

I hit that milestone in my mid forties. It was a truly humbling stage in my life. :(

I started needing glasses when I was 4. I complained to my parents that the pre-pre-K teacher started writing with super-light chalk on the board and I couldn't see, like she was purposely hiding information :P

• Like 2

I'm actually 62. It finally hit me when I GASP bought one of those off the shelf reading glasses. :o

I'm nearsighted so I still don't have to wear reading glasses to read at 52 but I do need them to see corals in the tank.

• Like 1