Top Shelf Aquatics

Kat's Birthday Party

metrokat

Kat, do you ever wish you had a slightly shorter sump, length wise? I'm struggling with the space in my stand and although I can move the sump over 2" I don't know if I'm really going to have the room I want for dosing containers and stuff.

Kat, do you ever wish you had a slightly shorter sump, length wise? I'm struggling with the space in my stand and although I can move the sump over 2" I don't know if I'm really going to have the room I want for dosing containers and stuff.

Hey. They made the sump to my specifications actually so I'm very happy with it. Mu dosing containers fit inside, but that was pure luck.

I have gamma sterilized culture flasks that i use

flasks_all2.jpg

You can see them fit perfectly on the right side. Wish they were taller though. I have the second tallest one from the picture.

20150730_170608.jpg

The dosers are mounted on the wall behind the tank, I left clearance so I could do that.

If my flasks had not fit I was going to put the dosing containers at the back also.

20151228_160341.jpg

BRS skinny jugs will also fit on the side but not sure you can fit 2 of them - my tank is not as deep as yours i think - I can't fit 2. you might be able to.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/space-saver-jug-thin-4-liter-1-05-gallon.html

• Like 2

Hey. They made the sump to my specifications actually so I'm very happy with it. Mu dosing containers fit inside, but that was pure luck.

I have gamma sterilized culture flasks that i use

flasks_all2.jpg

You can see them fit perfectly on the right side. Wish they were taller though. I have the second tallest one from the picture.

20150730_170608.jpg

HHHMMMMMM, I like those flasks. I was looking at 2 or 3 compartment dosing containers...all of which are pretty expensive. I'm thinking about draining my sump and moving it as far to the left as possible, which should leave me about 4-5" on the right side but might still need something custom. I'll lose some space toward the front but I think that'd be ok. Going to try and get the doors on in the next couple days when I find the right screws (CAD Lights finally got me the right hinges after 3 weeks but didn't include screws) so I'll have a better idea of the space in the front I'll be left with.

I'm still not sure I'm ready to dose, have been considering Kalkwasser but seems like most threads just say to dose 2 part. If I don't start dosing I'm probably going to just switch to Reef Crystals from standard IO for the increased CA and ALK and continue with small water changes until it gets to the point where I have to dose. I don't really like doing frequent water changes on a large tank but I feel like I'm at an awkward in between stage because I don't have a lot of large coral.

Go with the flasks or BRS skinny jugs. My tank uses cal and alk differently. I can pull out the containers individually without pulling out the whole thing.

I can't seem to find the flasks in smaller than 50 count, lol. Did you get them locally or order them online?

I got them from JBB he had access to a batch that weren't needed by a laboratory a couple years back.

You and your connections!

VOSS glass water bottles look fun. :)

Kat, do you know what could be causing this damage? If not, can you ask Zeph?

My Oreo is the same way these day. Something is irritating the mantle.

And no - dipping is not the answer to everything in life.

• Like 1

My Oreo is the same way these day. Something is irritating the mantle.

Any idea what? No clam eating fish, no hermits, etc. Some of that red algae, could that be the issue?

And no - dipping is not the answer to everything in life.

Phone died after I read that and I don't have a charger with me. I didn't dip.

Im watching that colony but am not doing anything yet since today I did a gigantic rescape/sand mix/ glue everything.

Kat, do you know what could be causing this damage? If not, can you ask Zeph?

DEE5519D-BDEA-4615-B8C9-A9391DD5F7B4_zps

55e611de-4041-4b4c-ae85-037bc70822ed_zps

Is the damage new? What does the shell growth look like? I almost picked up a pretty 3" maxima from an LFS but noticed that it was retracting a lot....I mean a lot, like it was never really open and stable. It had similar shredding type marks on it's mantle.

Is the damage new? What does the shell growth look like? I almost picked up a pretty 3" maxima from an LFS but noticed that it was retracting a lot....I mean a lot, like it was never really open and stable. It had similar shredding type marks on it's mantle.

At first I thought the anemone stung it (Touched clam about a month ago), but it appears to be getting worse. Not great growth either... almost no white growth visible. Its getting a TON of par now and more nutrients in the tank so im not sure whats up.

At first I thought the anemone stung it (Touched clam about a month ago), but it appears to be getting worse. Not great growth either... almost no white growth visible. Its getting a TON of par now and more nutrients in the tank so im not sure whats up.

It's not all that open, maybe it's getting too much light.

It's not all that open, maybe it's getting too much light.

According to my research my fixture could not even put out too much light for a maxima. Around 300-375 par there. I'm not sure.

I was reading a lot of Zeph's stuff on clams he mentioned periodic freshwater dips with clams to help against infections and such. He's like the clam-guru... wish he was still on NR.

• Like 1