Cultivated Reef

Kat's Birthday Party

metrokat

It being yellow in their tank without running significant white light should have been the first flag, yellow Fiji leathers do not fluoresce :)

It's not a big deal.

Did I spur you to coral shop?! They are all up in your toadstool, and I am looking at that meat in the back right!

:D

Cynarina. It's for Stella.

• Like 1

The big red 9 head blasto colony and cynarina is Stellas.

The sixline is digging? Really? And I thought mine was odd. :D

Really? Hmm, I wonder why they do that. When they burrow at night it's never a dig, they just swish back and forth into the substrate. Some make a slime cocoon I think. So why do they dig. Curious.

Watch him steal the wrasse's new cave in the end. Or maybe the Gramma has a new slave?

Darth Gramma and his apprentice.

• Like 3

The big red 9 head blasto colony and cynarina is Stellas.

Really? Hmm, I wonder why they do that. When they burrow at night it's never a dig, they just swish back and forth into the substrate. Some make a slime cocoon I think. So why do they dig. Curious.

Darth Gramma and his apprentice.

Sixlines just make a cocoon in the rocks, so perhaps he's clearing a spot to sleep due to lack of hiding places?

• Like 2

My 6line just squeeze's his fat ass into the Rock work and turns into a slime ball at night. My Midas never leaves his barnacle other than to eat and take a few laps. If anyone gets near it when he's out swimming he goes to attack them.

• Like 3

My coral guy got in a couple of HH nudibranchs. Large slugs, super pretty. He's holding them in a different tank, wish I knew what they liked to eat. His pictures aren't clear, found this one on the net.

nudibranch3.jpg

prolly sponges

• Like 2

Good afternoon on a thoughtful day. Just bought the digital copy of Discovery Channel Racing Extinction. The legacy we leave behind for the future is pretty sad.

If you could do one thing today to help our planet, would you do it?

-Skip eating meat for 1 day.

-Sign a petition

-If you're going to eat seafood download the seafood watch app to eat with awareness

-Take public transit

#startwithonething

http://racingextinction.com/the-film/

• Like 5

Good afternoon on a thoughtful day. Just bought the digital copy of Discovery Channel Racing Extinction. The legacy we leave behind for the future is pretty sad.

-Skip eating meat for 1 day.

-Sign a petition

-If you're going to eat seafood download the seafood watch app to eat with awareness

-Take public transit

#startwithonething

http://racingextinction.com/the-film/

great film. makes me really want to swim with manta ray in person

great film. makes me really want to swim with manta ray in person

They may not be around for too long, get in the experience when you can.

Folklore in China says the gills of the Manta can cure illness and cancer.

They are hunting them down for their gills.

A whole animal that big size just for their gills.

The meat is pungent and is not eaten.

Mantas produce one pup every 5-6 years, each pup gestates for 1 year.

You could potentially walk into a shop in the far east and see an entire generation of manta gills in a plastic bag ready to sell.

Big part of why I became a vegetarian for 3 years. I started looking into every product ever (not just foods, but soaps, clothing, etc.) and started getting overwhelmed. I need to get back on that bandwagon.

Big part of why I became a vegetarian for 3 years. I started looking into every product ever (not just foods, but soaps, clothing, etc.) and started getting overwhelmed. I need to get back on that bandwagon.

I'm trying a plant based lifestyle myself these days.

• Like 1

I guess I should not make myself sad on Christmas. I have paused it, taking a break, it was a lot to take in.

There is hope for this world. Discovery Channel has a tendency to overstate the negative. If we all do small things it becomes huge.

• Like 2

You're right. But when do we start?

I haven't had a chance to watch the film yet. I do know that a large part of the problem is Asia. There are so many crazy traditional beliefs over there which rely upon wasteful practices. It's like the Buffalo of North America; hunted to near extinction for their tongues alone. It's not too late to turn things around and I applaud Discovery for bringing awareness to the situation. Hopefully they show that all over Asia and, like the Buffalo, many species can make a recovery. Either that or, hopefully, the species' outlive those who still adhere to such misguided practices.

• Like 1