Pod Your Reef

Kat's Birthday Party

metrokat

I too have a porthole.... when I use my longer lens its not so bad, when I use a shorter one I too have to use my "free hand" to try to block light or crop out the reflections.. Another option that I used more was to slightly tilt the porthole so it blocked the lights more itself that way I could keep both hands on the camera that was ever so slightly above the water lol

Most of the time when I shoot top down tho I just free hand it without the porthole tho I have to shut all flow off to do so.

I have the short porthole. this picture is with it tilted. Still get the edge.

IMG_2007.JPG

Sorry Kat, that stinks. Think it's ORA or just the tiny size+shipping?

If you search this forum you will find many such ORA stories. How does a company known for it's quality and care get a bad rap when it comes to clams? I don't know. Zeph used to say that ORA and Divers Den use ozone in their raceways - to battle pests - but it also strips the water of nutrients - makes it too clean. By the time a little clam gets to you it is starving.

• Like 3

IMG_2007.JPG

If you search this forum you will find many such ORA stories. How does a company known for it's quality and care get a bad rap when it comes to clams? I don't know. Zeph used to say that ORA and Divers Den use ozone in their raceways - to battle pests - but it also strips the water of nutrients - makes it too clean. By the time a little clam gets to you it is starving.

I have the longer version I believe (not that fond of its length) and don't think I've ever had that bad of an issue with it.... I'll go mess with it for a second tho I won't show the pics lol

• Like 1

IMG_2007.JPG

Huh I don't know Zeph.

I wouldn't know about this because the clams from PerfectCorals are not ORA... They're shipped direct from the country of origin.

Even the tiny one that was for MWhiteLock did fine with double shipping (to PC, to me, to her), so I think ORA might really have a problem.

Either way, hope it pulls thorough. Squammy looked pretty bad at one point, so I have faith!

• Like 1

I don't know what the problem is for you Kat, I threw my short lens on and still don't see a reflection.... are you using a flash when you shoot?

I set my thub screws are far up the lens towards the body as possible so the lens sits as deep into the porthole as possible....

IMAG5922_zpsl6ikcz3o.jpg

IMAG5923_zpslq6ezmwx.jpg

No I'm not using a flash. The lens on my camera is extremely short. it makes the fitting awkward.

Also that looks like the deep porthole, not the short.

This is the short

mulit_porthole_ps_grande.jpg

And that's kind of how my camera looks when fitted on it.

No I'm not using a flash. The lens on my camera is extremely short. it makes the fitting awkward.

Also that looks like the deep porthole, not the short.

This is the short

mulit_porthole_ps_grande.jpg

And that's kind of how my camera looks when fitted on it.

Yeah, I said I think I have the long one ;) I don't like the length but they didn't have the short one at all when I ordered it.

Are you using a point n shoot with it??

What lens?

Can you take a pic of yours set up? ITs still the same idea really you just have a shorter tube then me and mark so it really should be better and less noticeable I'd think :wacko:

IMG_2007.JPG

Well, my deresa kicked the bucket before 2 weeks was up. That's two clams down that I got from Diver's Den.

KAt... I just thought of something.... that thing looks like its pretty cheaply made compared to me and Marks tubes.... and the white acrylic doesn't look very thick, is it possible light is coming through the sides????

What lens?

Can you take a pic of yours set up? ITs still the same idea really you just have a shorter tube then me and mark so it really should be better and less noticeable I'd think :wacko:

:angry: YUMAKEMEWORKSOHARD

I said I would post a pic of my camera on the port hole tomorrow. The lens is the short 40mm which is why i needed to get special mounts to be able to use the porthole.

KAt... I just thought of something.... that thing looks like its pretty cheaply made compared to me and Marks tubes.... and the white acrylic doesn't look very thick, is it possible light is coming through the sides????

it's entirely possible.

:angry: YUMAKEMEWORKSOHARD

I said I would post a pic of my camera on the port hole tomorrow. The lens is the short 40mm which is why i needed to get special mounts to be able to use the porthole.

it's entirely possible.

Sorry forgot you said that you would tomorrow lol

I don't see why you need special mounts for a shorter lens with that, I use a short 60 with no problem in a larger tube :wacko:

:slap:

DON'T MAKE ME COME OVER THERE!

Thats fine wife n kids are asleep....

Tank lights are off tho now too :(

Guess I could turn them back on and fix your lens issue lol

• Like 1

:rolleyes:

Well, my deresa kicked the bucket before 2 weeks was up. That's two clams down that I got from Diver's Den.

Sorry to hear that Stella. My first ORA was from DD. I thought getting it from my LFS would increase the success. I shouldn't be talking about the clam as if it's already gone. I guess I'm jaded.

• Like 1

Thank you Mark. I'm getting a reflection and I'm not sure why. Do you crop your porthole photos?

I use my hand to block the light, I get a lot of reflection as well. I do crop, I make sure what I want to take is fairly reflection free.

I too have a porthole.... when I use my longer lens its not so bad, when I use a shorter one I too have to use my "free hand" to try to block light or crop out the reflections.. Another option that I used more was to slightly tilt the porthole so it blocked the lights more itself that way I could keep both hands on the camera that was ever so slightly above the water lol

! I just got a porthole as well. I'm shooting with my iPhone. I still am seeing the reflection of the phone case edge in my shots. Argh. The porthole itself is white acrylic. I wonder if it would work better as a black acrylic. I have gotten some neat shots with it, but it requires some creativity and cropping...

• Like 1

! I just got a porthole as well. I'm shooting with my iPhone. I still am seeing the reflection of the phone case edge in my shots. Argh. The porthole itself is white acrylic. I wonder if it would work better as a black acrylic. I have gotten some neat shots with it, but it requires some creativity and cropping...

The white acrylic just might be the problem. I'm going to see if wrapping it with black electrical tape helps.

• Like 2

You could try black Con-Tact paper (shelf liner) too. Would need less passes around with it. But if you have the elctrical tape on hand already, one less thing to buy.

Already put the electrical tape on it. Including on the edge of the front cover.

Yeah I am really thinking the white is an issue, seems kinda obvious looking at it.... Assuming you are actually putting the end of the port hole into the water correct? LOL

:slap:

:angry:

• Like 1