Top Shelf Aquatics

Kat's Birthday Party

metrokat

Catching up on your thread again..My female Anthias likes to hide in my Cabbage Leather right next to the firefish.

My tort from your is already showing signs of growth, the cut edge has new polyps forming.

• Like 1

Catching up on your thread again..My female Anthias likes to hide in my Cabbage Leather right next to the firefish.

My tort from your is already showing signs of growth, the cut edge has new polyps forming.

that's great, it's a happy coral.

Well see that would have been good to know, I can now see why she might need the block attachment and unable to properly attach it to the porthole. I'm an overall big guy so my 60mm that is like 3" is short to me and I didn't realize they made lenses that ridiculously small so I just figured it couldn't really be that much smaller being a 40mm. Short is a pretty relative term, apparently our shorts are different... If Kat did mention it was less than an inch, I clearly didn't see that, and I apologize Kat. :)

That said.... Kat when you decide to look into a new lens I'd recommend the Tamron 60mm (for canon obviously). Its what I shoot with (but for nikon), is going to be fairly wide of a lens still like your 40, but can get in for some solid macro shots as well.... I also use it for 99% of my family/ kid pictures as well, its a very versatile lens IMO. The 90mm is also a good option..... Goodluck :) Oh yeah, and best of all I paid sub $350ish for a factory refurb.(supposedly with a 7 yr warranty through Mack or something like that) on ebay.

I have the Tamron 60mm f2.0 for Nikon and love it for tank pics. Sometimes I wish I have the longer 90mm but 60mm is good enough. The f2.0 makes it a perfect portrait lens too. The bokeh is crazy. Although I also bought a 85mm f1.8 because I am a lens hoarder...sigh. The only bad thing about the Tamron is slow AF focusing. Maybe that's why I dont use it much other than macros...

• Like 1

I have the Tamron 60mm f2.0 for Nikon and love it for tank pics. Sometimes I wish I have the longer 90mm but 60mm is good enough. The f2.0 makes it a perfect portrait lens too. The bokeh is crazy. Although I also bought a 85mm f1.8 because I am a lens hoarder...sigh. The only bad thing about the Tamron is slow AF focusing. Maybe that's why I dont use it much other than macros...

Yeah, I do manual focus for pretty much everything I use the lens for as well.... but thats likely mostly because the couple times I tried auto it was slow at best lol Macro use only tho it would definitely be a very solid choice IMO.... although a 90 and/or 105 would be great to have too LOL

• Like 1

Maintenance day today. This tank is in it's 7th month, it's certainly come a long way.

Siphoned the sandbed , lots of crap in the water column. So then I over-did the coral snow. Now all pumps are on and the canister filter is also on so it should be pretty clean later.

The flow to the fuge has been very minimal, I think I better make use of the many true unions I have in my plumbing and clean out the pipes. It makes me nervous but I'll work on it.

Baby clam isn't worse, but it has not recovered either. Maybe stirring up crap will help it eat some stuffs.

JF setosa had started STNing a couple of days ago. Working on it. ALK and Cal are low - working on it. I think the growth spurt has been a lot so the usage has increased.

Yellow clown goby in the nano ate some LRS today - hadn't eaten since I got it.

I have another mid-size IM reactor on the way - my existing one has a broken bottom fitting that makes it hard to use. I also noticed that because of the narrow chamber I have to fit the reactor in, the tubing from the manifold goes through bends that puts pressure, I have 2 elbows on it right now. When I get the other reactor I'm going to plug it into the outlet, not use my manifold.

I was waiting on some acrylic plates from JBB to glue some of my branches to for support- but I went with epoxying them to alternative reefs "donuts" for the support instead.

Hydor asked me to send in the ATO for them to look into warranty replacement. If they do replace it, that will be great. I should put back the Smart ATO in the meantime, but I feel lazy.

I have another canon lens ordered. Hope it arrives soon because my 30 day return window for the porthole is coming up shortly.

I think that concludes my update.

• Like 5

Sinularia, which reminds me, I have nepthia, not sinularia, I keep calling it the wrong thing.

Sinularia can be aggressive (chemical), carbon needed from what I've read.

I know know what it is but shut up and take my money!

You want a piece of my leather?

Blue moon...have you seen what grows in that after a while :D Not my type of beer but he wife likes it occasionally......

What grows in what? in the beer? Alcohol is fermented so the bacterial populations probably make for interesting critters I imagine. Hopefully nobody drinks left over opened beer. :huh: