Coral Vue Hydros

Kat's Birthday Party

metrokat

Thanks Crazy. Any suggestions for below

The black PVC pipes into the black ABS bulkheads is an impossibly tight fit. Even if I don't push the pipes in all the way, they are crazy snug. I used a fine grit sandpaper to shave them down a hair but probably not enough since it does not seem to have made any difference.

Next Q, how to measure and know where to make the cut for the durso? The elbow of the durso is supposed to sit just below the water line, correct? That means in order to do that I have to fill the tank or work with the overflow teeth measurement?

Okay, first major plumbing issue. The pieces for the durso take up the entire overflow box pretty much.

CAD has suggested I use vinyl for my return. What do you think?

20141115_165133.jpg

This pieces to this component are:

1 inch bulkhead slip slip

1 inch black PVC pipe

1 inch Tee slip slip slip

Sch 80 spigot slip slip to a black strainer

Small piece of black PVC

1 inch end cap

20141104_121009.jpg

Fitting size:

Black PVC Tee in the picture is 3 inches wide, 4 tall.

Regular sch 40 is 3.6X2.6

Sch80 spigot elbow in the picture is 3X3

Regular sch 40 is 2.65X2.65

So I think by switching to plane jane schedule 40 white fittings I can slice off a few hairs

If you expect your drain to work properly and be quiet, it needs to be PVC (and really needs to be 1.25" instead of 1").

Then I would need a new overflow box.

yes, and no

its the size of the pipe in relation to the available space that is the problem.

I think your best bet will be trying to copy the custom stubby setup that you showed the pic of.

yes, and no

its the size of the pipe in relation to the available space that is the problem.

I think your best bet will be trying to copy the custom stubby setup that you showed the pic of.

what custom stubby setup?

oh that weird looking elbow? I don;t have tools to cut PVC like that.

This is a strange elbow but looks compact, anybody seen or used these?

44038d1318592930-weir-pipe-durso-durso-w

this one

you could always run the Tee without the elbow.

I have ran that way in the past with no issues

Even this image has a more compact durso than mine. I think the PVC I used and further the schedule 80 spigot is adding a few mm to the size of the durso.

I have to find fittings to make it the most compact that it can be

you could always run the Tee without the elbow.

I have ran that way in the past with no issues

Okay, this can work!

Even this image has a more compact durso than mine. I think the PVC I used and further the schedule 80 spigot is adding a few mm to the size of the durso.

I have to find fittings to make it the most compact that it can be

Okay, this can work!

those appear to be sch 40 fittings that they just cut up. they cut one leg from the 90, and cut the stem from the tee

EDIT - it does work. Thanks JBB.

those appear to be sch 40 fittings that they just cut up. they cut one leg from the 90, and cut the stem from the tee

Do not have the tools to cut schedule 40 or any schedule of any kind like this.

AZdesertrat swears by that setup. I'm not that confident about it. It seems that it getting clogged without a strainer would be a real issue.

This compact durso used a U elbow. never seen those. They're like toilet bowl things.

duriso1.png

so it's just the pipe with the muffler on top? And it will not impact the flow rate?

This compact durso used a U elbow. never seen those. They're like toilet bowl things.

its called a "street elbow"

so it's just the pipe with the muffler on top? And it will not impact the flow rate?

correct

Alright, took out every fitting I had already purchased. the problem is the fittings I have used. The black ones to be all cool. They're bigger than standard schedule 40 (even though these are sch 40 also). Apples to apples, the same fittings in 3/4 inch size is about 1/4 to 1/2 inch bigger that the same fitting in white schedule 40.

The most compact durso used a slipxslipxthread Tee and a 90 degree threaded elbow.

its called a "street elbow"

My street elbow does not look like that - maybe because it's a schedule 80 from BRS?