Pod Your Reef

Fusion 10G with 32 SPS frags!.FTS/video for December 2016. Pg#15

reefernanoman

I'm going to have to keep an eye out for my Hollywood stunner, since it's my first chalice ever. I didn't know that chalice do not like light that is too intense. Well my PAR38 is at least 2ft from my tank, and all my corals(softies included) seem to be doing great.

On a side note, I'm going to move my WP10 from my backwall, since the outside magnet is underwater and I'm pretty sure that it is not designed to be used like that. Somebody asked me that question and I never thought of it. Go figure.

Yeah, the outside magnet should not be submerged. However, you can get a dry dock for it and leave it where it is. You can use a plastic cracker container for the dry dock. If you don't have any luck finding a cracker container, PM me. I actually have one laying around I was going to use as a dry dock, and then never ended up setting up that tank for fish. (It is going to become a vivarium instead.)

I just noticed that my cleaner shrimp is carrying eggs. How common is that?

I don't think it is uncommon. I saw my sexy shrimp (until I gave away those little bastards) carrying eggs all the time. Free fish and coral snacks. :)

• Like 2
reefernanoman

Good luck! Can't wait for pictures :)

Thanks! I went to pick up the one head rainbow Acan at 3pm today, but I had to go watch the Sponge Bob movie with my family, so I had to carry the frag inside the internal bag of my coat. It was too cold to leave it in the car. Then we had to go eat, so I had to do the same thing. Lol

• Like 4

Thanks! I went to pick up the one head rainbow Acan at 3pm today, but I had to go watch the Sponge Bob movie with my family, so I had to carry the frag inside the internal bag of my coat. It was too cold to leave it in the car. Then we had to go eat, so I had to do the same thing. Lol

Epic, I was tucking mine from my run of the car to the door like I was carrying a kilo of coke

• Like 1
reefernanoman

Epic, I was tucking mine from my run of the car to the door like I was carrying a kilo of coke

Lol. I don't know how I would have explained myself to the movie patrons if the bag sprung a leak.

• Like 1

Lol. I don't know how I would have explained myself to the movie patrons if the bag sprung a leak.

I would have told them I pissed myself. Less awkward that way.

• Like 1
reefernanoman

how was the new spongebob movie?

Personally, what I didn't like was that the characters didn't spend much time OUT of the water, until the end of the movie. And it still wasn't enough time.

• Like 1
reefernanoman

Yeah, the outside magnet should not be submerged. However, you can get a dry dock for it and leave it where it is. You can use a plastic cracker container for the dry dock. If you don't have any luck finding a cracker container, PM me. I actually have one laying around I was going to use as a dry dock, and then never ended up setting up that tank for fish. (It is going to become a vivarium instead.)

I don't think it is uncommon. I saw my sexy shrimp (until I gave away those little bastards) carrying eggs all the time. Free fish and coral snacks. :)

Did your sexy shrimp go bananas or something?

reefernanoman

I just realized that after adding some of the most colorful corals ever to my tank, that my light is not that good with all the colors. My Rainbow Acan looked beautiful at the LFS and in my tank it's just meh. Same goes for my Superman and Rainbow montis. I have some of these under better lights like the mini tide and they look stunning. I'll have to upgrade down the line. My light only has 6RB 3NW(or CW not sure), 1 UV and 2 Reds. So no lime. I wonder if that is my issue. I didn't do a FTS yet because everything was mad still(I'll do that one tomorrow) Anyways, I still love the look of my tank:

Rainbow Acan:

IMG_2014.jpg

Superman and Rainbow monti:

IMG_2010.jpg

Good luck! Can't wait for pictures :)

Yeah teeny, my Rainbow Acan doesn't look as nice as yours! I need a better light!

• Like 1

You have a PAR38, right? What kind is it? The CC PAR38 should have no probem keeping rainbow acans colored up. In my tank they just turn kind of a bland red when the lighting intensity isn't high enough, though. Your pictures look VERY familiar to me, I've seen the exact same colors in my tank when I'm working on slowly ramping up the intensity.

If your light is as bright as it can go, you could try moving them up closer to the surface to get more light.

Oh yeah, also, if you just got them, it could be they just need a week or two to get used to your lighting too.

• Like 1

Did your sexy shrimp go bananas or something?

They developed a tase for zoanthid skirts...

I still love the little buggers, only when they are in someone else's tank though!

• Like 1

Personally, what I didn't like was that the characters didn't spend much time OUT of the water, until the end of the movie. And it still wasn't enough time.

honestly that gives me hope then. i watch and value cartoons way too much and seeing the whole cgi bullshit made me weary about it.

They developed a tase for zoanthid skirts...

I still love the little buggers, only when they are in someone else's tank though!

after having mine for a few weeks ive come to this conclusion as well. luckily none of mine picked on zoas, but it's just annoying to see one patch of zoa's closed up at all times because that's where they're hanging out.

• Like 1
reefernanoman

You have a PAR38, right? What kind is it? The CC PAR38 should have no probem keeping rainbow acans colored up. In my tank they just turn kind of a bland red when the lighting intensity isn't high enough, though. Your pictures look VERY familiar to me, I've seen the exact same colors in my tank when I'm working on slowly ramping up the intensity.

If your light is as bright as it can go, you could try moving them up closer to the surface to get more light.

Oh yeah, also, if you just got them, it could be they just need a week or two to get used to your lighting too.

It's a discontinued PAR38 from reef breeders. And yes, I did just get it. They had this Frag under blues only, so yes, I think that it needs to adjust. It's a non dimmable PAR38, so I have it way up so it doesn't fry anything. I might bring it down a little and lower the stunner chalice somehow.

Sounds like you've got a good plan. Gradually increase the light, and back off if it looks like things are receding or getting bleached. Also, my rainbow acans only get really pretty when the lighting is mostly blue, as you've already noted.

• Like 1
reefernanoman

Sounds like you've got a good plan. Gradually increase the light, and back off if it looks like things are receding or getting bleached. Also, my rainbow acans only get really pretty when the lighting is mostly blue, as you've already noted.

Yeah, I don't think that I have enough blue in this light. I could adjust the blue in NC 28G and just put it in there if worse comes to worse.

Looking good

Thanks! Now I just have to let my corals grow.

So after the last three additions, I think that I'm tapped out. What do you guys think?because all of these corals can grow very big.

Big is for fragging. Fill it up! :D

Seriously, though, you probably want to wait a while just to see how the new guys do and whether they grow. I have some corals that might get big someday that grow very slowly. And some that do the opposite...

• Like 1
reefernanoman

Big is for fragging. Fill it up! :D

Seriously, though, you probably want to wait a while just to see how the new guys do and whether they grow. I have some corals that might get big someday that grow very slowly. And some that do the opposite...

True. Today I decided to move my Gobstoper Zoas to my other tank. These Zoas got huuuge. I might have to do the same thing with my hammer coral.
  • Like 1
reefernanoman

Just a little update. Moved my Rainbow Acan to my other tank, since it only looks good under very blue light. I also moved my hollywood stunner chalice to my other tank, since I had to make room for my new Mystic Sunset frag:

IMG_2016.jpg

• Like 2