ReefCleaners.org

Dawn's seahorse garden. Farewell 36g bowfront!

vlangel

That's great news! Do seahorses do well in a group of 3?

Yes, especially captive bred seahorses. They are accustomed to being in mixed gender groups in tanks. Seahorse farms learned not to segregate the sexes because the ponies, (especially females) will change sex to propagate the species. In the wild they are mostly monogamous but captive bred ponies tend to 'love the one their with'.

If I got 2 males, Eve and one of the males would probably pair up and the other guy would most likely be single but there would not be fighting. Well except possibly a bit of tail wrangling at first to determine who would get the girl.

If I get a pair then a male and female will pair up and the other female will just be buddies with the happy couple.

And if I choose 1 or 2 females they will all dance among themselves even though they are all females, (however one could turn male to remedy the situation, ha ha!).

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

20160922_180752_zpse6fwezdl.jpg

I have not taken a pic of the side of my tank in awhile. I thought this view was pretty.

20160922_180822_zpsdxdslj4x.jpg

The other side is not as colorful but who can resist a begging seahorse?

In preparation of getting a new seahorse or two, I did some sump maintenance this morning. I run my sump most of the time without filter socks or filter pads because of seahorses vulnerability to bacteria infections. Anything that collects excess food or detritus for more than 3 days can breed dangerous bacteria to the ponies. As a result I rely on my fuge and water changes to keep nutrients in check. That has been working pretty well but my sump with the 24/7 lighting gets pretty grungy with algae scum and my macros need constant pruning. So I scraped the walls of the sump and syphoned out all the debris while the return pump was off. The fuge always looks so nice after I do that. Its not display tank quality but its pretty in its own way In my opinion, nothing could have improved my system more than the sump upgrade I did last December.

20160924_113125_zpseeoimp5h.jpg

WOW! That must have taken some time and effort. In other words a bit of effort.

DOH! I meant "In other words a bit of WORK" .

Actually its not that bad. I syphoned out a little water after the return pump was off. Put the rock in the bucket of water and began scraping away. Since its a sump I don't have to worry about scratches or doing an ace job so the scraping goes pretty fast. Then I just syphon all the water out, which I would be doing for a water change anyway. I fill it back up with the already made salt water and ta da...a clean sump!

20160924_113050_zpskvdppakc.jpg

As you can see I am actually running a filter pad between the drain chamber and the fuge today since I may have stirred up gunk. I will remove the pad when I do Monday's water change.

20160922_180752_zpse6fwezdl.jpg

I have not taken a pic of the side of my tank in awhile. I thought this view was pretty.

20160922_180822_zpsdxdslj4x.jpg

The other side is not as colorful but who can resist a begging seahorse?

The tank looks so beautiful, Dawn! And I'm really happy that Eve will be able to have a friend soon.

The tank looks so beautiful, Dawn! And I'm really happy that Eve will be able to have a friend soon.

Thanks teeny, I am really liking how the tank is looking too. I have learned through trial and error that a lot of corals' needs are in conflict with the seahorses' needs. As a result I do not have a gorgeous reef of corals. The corals that can thrive in seahorse conditions I have allowed to colonize unhindered. On the other hand the macros are much more suited to competing in a seahorse tank which is no doubt why so many seahorse tanks are planted tanks.

I am starting to get excited about getting Eve a friend/s too.

Will having 3 females be much less work than a breeding pair?Love the snail algae fashion competition you have going on in there :lol:.

3 females will not be a lot less work because the maintenance is the same for same gender tanks as with tanks of mating pairs. Well, with the exception of perhaps fishing the newborn fry out after they are born so they can be given away.

Females do tend to be sturdier than the stallions however. I guess having a brood pouch and nourishing 100s of babies does take its toll on the males.

The trick is keeping an all female tank all female. If there are young ponies in it, one of them is very likely to change into a male. I rather doubt that Eve would change but one of the new ones certainly could.

20160924_141639_zpsnfqg1xox.jpg

Can you see the tan tail right at the front of the glass in front of the goby? Its some sort of burrowing shrimp that came with my feeder shrimp.

20160924_141639_zpsnfqg1xox.jpg

Can you see the tan tail right at the front of the glass in front of the goby? Its some sort of burrowing shrimp that came with my feeder shrimp.

That's Odd!

Makes me wonder about "Quality Control" lol!

But Seriously, I am curious.

That's Odd!

Makes me wonder about "Quality Control" lol!

But Seriously, I am curious.

My feeder shrimp guy fishes for them so I often get other things besides just ghost shrimp. That is how I got the cute lil' gobies too, so its all good.

My feeder shrimp guy fishes for them so I often get other things besides just ghost shrimp. That is how I got the cute lil' gobies too, so its all good.

Awesome B)

I know I'm late, but Dawn, I am so very sorry to hear about Adam. I know you will miss him and you gave him a wonderful home and life. I know how hard it is to lose a seahorse. Its always hard to lose a fish, but seahorses have so much personality, that its extra hard. You are an amazing seahorse keeper and have wonderful husbandry skills, so I know you provided Adam with a wonderful aquarium home. Seahorses are just delicate creatures. Adam will really be missed here on Nano-Reef.

I am glad to hear that you are recovering from the loss and considering getting more seahorses. I think females are a good choice since they tend to be a bit more hardy than the males I think. At least they can't have pouch issues like males.

Also, your tank is looking stunning right now. The corals are all looking so wonderfully filled in and happy and healthy. Also, your sump is so amazingly CLEAN! I always meant to keep mine so clean, but I gave up. Its just too hard to scrub out a sump inside and stand and with all the equipment. Mine is a hot mess :lol:

I know I'm late, but Dawn, I am so very sorry to hear about Adam. I know you will miss him and you gave him a wonderful home and life. I know how hard it is to lose a seahorse. Its always hard to lose a fish, but seahorses have so much personality, that its extra hard. You are an amazing seahorse keeper and have wonderful husbandry skills, so I know you provided Adam with a wonderful aquarium home. Seahorses are just delicate creatures. Adam will really be missed here on Nano-Reef.

I am glad to hear that you are recovering from the loss and considering getting more seahorses. I think females are a good choice since they tend to be a bit more hardy than the males I think. At least they can't have pouch issues like males.

Also, your tank is looking stunning right now. The corals are all looking so wonderfully filled in and happy and healthy. Also, your sump is so amazingly CLEAN! I always meant to keep mine so clean, but I gave up. Its just too hard to scrub out a sump inside and stand and with all the equipment. Mine is a hot mess :lol:

Thanks Felicia for the comforting words regarding Adam's passing. I knew that you would understand since you have had seahorses.

Thanks for the kind words about the tank too. Slowly I am learning what coral seem to do well long term with ponies and what do not. If it can thrive I let it grow unchecked so that the tank can have that full lush look. The macro algae actually add a splash of nice color and I am going to try some easy sponges (if there is such a thing) from kp aquatics. My tank needs some yellow in it.

It was impossible for me to keep my sump as clean when it was inside the cabinet. Having it up on a desk and in a basement fish room next to a floor drain makes a huge difference. I have room to work, I don't have to sit on the floor in some contorted position and I can dispose of the dirty water right there without having to carry it across my livingroom carpet. I should have done a basement sump years ago when I first thought of it. I just hated drilling through the livingroom floor.

I am thinking of getting my new seahorse/s from Alyssa at Pacific east aquaculture. They are located on the Maryland coast so Dave and I could take a little trip and pick it/them out. That way the pony/ponies would have less shipping stress. I am thinking that we drive out and spend the night. See and pick out our new pet/s first thing in the morning and then drive home from there. Thats the plan anyhow.

Thanks Felicia for the comforting words regarding Adam's passing. I knew that you would understand since you have had seahorses.

Thanks for the kind words about the tank too. Slowly I am learning what coral seem to do well long term with ponies and what do not. If it can thrive I let it grow unchecked so that the tank can have that full lush look. The macro algae actually add a splash of nice color and I am going to try some easy sponges (if there is such a thing) from kp aquatics. My tank needs some yellow in it.

It was impossible for me to keep my sump as clean when it was inside the cabinet. Having it up on a desk and in a basement fish room next to a floor drain makes a huge difference. I have room to work, I don't have to sit on the floor in some contorted position and I can dispose of the dirty water right there without having to carry it across my livingroom carpet. I should have done a basement sump years ago when I first thought of it. I just hated drilling through the livingroom floor.

I am thinking of getting my new seahorse/s from Alyssa at Pacific east aquaculture. They are located on the Maryland coast so Dave and I could take a little trip and pick it/them out. That way the pony/ponies would have less shipping stress. I am thinking that we drive out and spend the night. See and pick out our new pet/s first thing in the morning and then drive home from there. Thats the plan anyhow.

Fun! I'm glad everything/one is doing well. Pick a maxima up for me at PEA, will ya? XD

Nick

I think Felicia got her large yellow frilly sponge from PEA at MACNA...so while you are visiting them, you should grab one or two of those! You rarely see them that large online. The ones from KPA are not nearly that big anyways :).

I think Felicia got her large yellow frilly sponge from PEA at MACNA...so while you are visiting them, you should grab one or two of those! You rarely see them that large online. The ones from KPA are not nearly that big anyways :).

Thanks for the tip Gena. I saw they had gorgs and sponges so I thought it might be a good idea to check that out while I was there.

Fun! I'm glad everything/one is doing well. Pick a maxima up for me at PEA, will ya? XD

Nick

Ha ha, yes sir I will be glad to get a beautiful 'virtual' maxima that I pay for with 'vitual' money!

I have done 3 tank builds. Every time I buy a new tank I think to myself, "this is the tank to end all tanks!" I am pondering an upgrade however. I love the foot print of my current tank but sometimes I wished I had more water volume. My tank is pushing the boundaries for 3 ponies, especially since there are other tankmates too. Also the bowfront is a pain to keep the front glass clean.

However if I went with a 56 column tank I would have almost the same footprint, but 20 gallons more and an 'easy to clean' flat piece of glass in the front. The 36g bowfront dimensions are 30" x 15" x 21" and the 56g column dimensions are 30" x 18" x 24" so my lights, and other equipment would fit pretty much the same. I would have a little more water drain back into the sump when the return pump was shut off but I am pretty sure my sump can handle it.

My current tank has a sand substrate. I wished I had painted the bottom glass underneath so I could consider running it bare bottom. If I upgrade, I will paint the bottom so that I can consider a bare bottom tank.

Its not all perfect however so I have to weigh in on some negatives. The first is the stand only comes in black. Thats not terrible and I could repaint it to suit. Also when I had my 30g XH it was 24" high. That is great for erectus seahorses that are mating, not so much for the 5' 6" tall keeper who is cleaning the glass and can barely reach the bottom. Again nothing a step stool can remedy.

A 56 gallon column tank would be a perfect tank for 3-5 erectus ponies. Its certainly worth thinking about.

I have done 3 tank builds. Every time I buy a new tank I think to myself, "this is the tank to end all tanks!" I am pondering an upgrade however. I love the foot print of my current tank but sometimes I wished I had more water volume. My tank is pushing the boundaries for 3 ponies, especially since there are other tankmates too. Also the bowfront is a pain to keep the front glass clean.

However if I went with a 56 column tank I would have almost the same footprint, but 20 gallons more and an 'easy to clean' flat piece of glass in the front. The 36g bowfront dimensions are 30" x 15" x 21" and the 56g column dimensions are 30" x 18" x 24" so my lights, and other equipment would fit pretty much the same. I would have a little more water drain back into the sump when the return pump was shut off but I am pretty sure my sump can handle it.

My current tank has a sand substrate. I wished I had painted the bottom glass underneath so I could consider running it bare bottom. If I upgrade, I will paint the bottom so that I can consider a bare bottom tank.

Its not all perfect however so I have to weigh in on some negatives. The first is the stand only comes in black. Thats not terrible and I could repaint it to suit. Also when I had my 30g XH it was 24" high. That is great for erectus seahorses that are mating, not so much for the 5' 6" tall keeper who is cleaning the glass and can barely reach the bottom. Again nothing a step stool can remedy.

A 56 gallon column tank would be a perfect tank for 3-5 erectus ponies. Its certainly worth thinking about.

Doooo eeeeeeetttt.

I have been admiring Alyssa's seahorses lately! She is amazing! They had a whole tank full of them at the PEA booth at MACNA, which was the tank full of gorgonians and sponges. Those types of tanks always make me so happy :) I don't think you could go wrong getting your seahorses from Alyssa, especially if you can go pick them out in person. And Gena had a great suggestion to ask about sponges because they had plenty of the big yellow frilly sponges at MACNA. I don't have any luck with the orange sponges long term, but the yellow ones have always done well for me. I believe Gena has had the same experience. The ones from KPA are great, but they usually only have very small ones. I was excited to see PEA had some nice big ones. You should see if they have any more.

I bet having the sump in the basement like that makes a world of difference! I fantasize about having a fish equipment room someday :D I'm glad you were brave enough to drill through the floor and make your life soooo much easier!

And an upgrade?! How exciting!!! Sounds like a good idea to me if you're going to get two more seahorses, and I could see how the bowfront would be hard to clean. I bet the column, cube would look really nice!

Archived