ReefCleaners.org

Dawn's seahorse garden. Farewell 36g bowfront!

vlangel

Me too - it has the advantage that it's almost impossible to hurt anything by doing so, unlike almost anything else you can add to the tank.

I mean at worst, you really do have a lot of nutrients/carbon and it lowers oxygen levels a bit :unsure: But yes, good stuff!

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mean at worst, you really do have a lot of nutrients/carbon and it lowers oxygen levels a bit :unsure: But yes, good stuff!

Do you have a favorite product that you feel works better than the rest? I have always used Stability because when I took Ocean Rider's free online seahorse course, it is what they recommended. Perhaps there is something better out there however?

I didn't know either, so don't feel alone!

Hey Stella! How are you? So what does WB V stand for?

I battled cyano in my biocube by dosing microbacter7 and the biofuel stuff. It helped for sure![/quoteStella, if the Stability doesn't do the trick maybe I will try microbacter 7. How long did it take and did you syphon off the worst of it too?
I fought cyano in my tank a long time ago by just giving it the finger daily. Eventually it got mad and left :D

I would be afraid of ticking the cyano off even more and it might not ever go away, LOL!

Do you have a favorite product that you feel works better than the rest? I have always used Stability because when I took Ocean Rider's free online seahorse course, it is what they recommended. Perhaps there is something better out there however?

Hey Stella! How are you? So what does WB V stand for?

I'm good!!! I had fun catching up on your tank. I ordered more glass shrimp from your guy and got a goby! He's now in my macro tank. I called him Willy since he was free (get it?).

I think astinus said it meant welcome back and I assume the V is for vlangel!

It took about a week and a half for me to get rid of the cyano. Well, I guess tame it. I siphoned off the sand bed daily, did lights out for two days and kept up with the MB7 and it seemed to finally subside!

I'm good!!! I had fun catching up on your tank. I ordered more glass shrimp from your guy and got a goby! He's now in my macro tank. I called him Willy since he was free (get it?).

I think astinus said it meant welcome back and I assume the V is for vlangel!

It took about a week and a half for me to get rid of the cyano. Well, I guess tame it. I siphoned off the sand bed daily, did lights out for two days and kept up with the MB7 and it seemed to finally subside!

Yup...WB= Welcome Back

V= VLangel ;)

Love that Name!! lol! Free Willy, the Goby! :wub:

I think astinus said it meant welcome back and I assume the V is for vlangel! It took about a week and a half for me to get rid of the cyano. Well, I guess tame it. I siphoned off the sand bed daily, did lights out for two days and kept up with the MB7 and it seemed to finally subside!

I need to catch up with your tanks too. I am looking forward to it. Ha ha, I should have been able to figure that out. Like I said, now I feel stupid.

That is great about those little gobies. Aren't they just so cute? There are 4 in Baby's tank and I think there are 2 in with Adam and Eve although I saw Eve eat one awhile back so I am not sure about the seahorse tank. I definitely wont be giving them names in there.

Thanks for the info. I have not tried the lights out for a couple days either. I am limiting the daylight bulbs to just 3 hours or so and see if that helps.

It's funny, I use Seachem Stability in my FW tank, and MB 7 in my SW tanks. It's just what I ended up using at the time.

That is funny teeny that you use 2 different products when Stability is good for both. I always liked that Stability had denitrifying bacteria but I don't know if that would out compete cyano or not?

Yup...WB= Welcome Back

V= VLangel ;)

Love that Name!! lol! Free Willy, the Goby! :wub:

Ok, I said I would feel stupid and I do. Thanks for the welcome though.

That cyano isn't bad! I definitely think you can get rid of that with bacteria dosing aNd siphoning!

I haven't been on much lately - work has been crazy so catching up shouldn't take too long :) those gobies really are cute!! They way they hop around makes me smile.

I think the tank is looking good.

I need to catch up with your tanks too. I am looking forward to it. Ha ha, I should have been able to figure that out. Like I said, now I feel stupid.

That is great about those little gobies. Aren't they just so cute? There are 4 in Baby's tank and I think there are 2 in with Adam and Eve although I saw Eve eat one awhile back so I am not sure about the seahorse tank. I definitely wont be giving them names in there.

Thanks for the info. I have not tried the lights out for a couple days either. I am limiting the daylight bulbs to just 3 hours or so and see if that helps.

That is funny teeny that you use 2 different products when Stability is good for both. I always liked that Stability had denitrifying bacteria but I don't know if that would out compete cyano or not?

Ok, I said I would feel stupid and I do. Thanks for the welcome though.

I'm sorry Vlangel :( Wasn't trying to make ya feel stupid.

Took me awhile to understand some weird texting shorthand stuff.

and

That cyano isn't bad! I definitely think you can get rid of that with bacteria dosing aNd siphoning!

I haven't been on much lately - work has been crazy so catching up shouldn't take too long :) those gobies really are cute!! They way they hop around makes me smile.

Totally agree with Stellars! That Cyano isn't that bad at all! When we had our Cyano issue, it was really nasty :(

Tons worse than ur current Cyano Issue.

U can and will overcome that Cyano in no time! :)

Thanks Rachel, and I know the cyano isn't horrible but it bugs me. At least it isn't all over my rock and coral although therebis some on some of my macro algae.

I guess most of us have had crazy busy summers.

Well off to do another water change!

:wub:B)

Yes, I have seen worse cyano and with diligence I should be able to kick it. I guess all in all the tank looks pretty good and I do love my ponies.

Tanks looking great

Tank looks pretty darn good to me. :)

Both of you are too kind. My coral (except the mushrooms)are just so so. The red grape caulerpa carries the tank. I need to get more green macro algae but I am hesitant to put feather caulerpa in there. I may give my son some of my coral that are just surviving and focus on macro algae, and gorgs. I really do love gorgonians.

The tank looks great Dawn! Hardly any cyano :)

Thanks yoshii, I am really working at it now that I am home for a while and can be diligent about it.

So I am really wanting some green to compliment the red macro algae in the seahorse garden. After all, the word garden says lush green to me. I have some halimeda but its not lush. I have feather caulerpa growing quite well in the fuge. Of course the problem is if I plant caulerpa in my seahorse display, it will turn into a caulerpa display! I am contemplating getting some plastic canvas and planting some caulerpa in the holes of it. Then I would bury the plastic canvas just under the surface of the sandbed. I would pretty much keep the caulerpa confined to its plastic canvas. I know that wont keep all caulerpa from breaking off and drifting but it should keep its rhizome tendrils from attaching to my rock, maybe? What do you all think?

jedimasterben

If you have sandbed space, then cactus caulerpa (C. cupressoides) is a good choice that will not take over (and looks good).

If you have sandbed space, then cactus caulerpa (C. cupressoides) is a good choice that will not take over (and looks good).

Thanks Ben. Yes I really like the looks of that but had tried a little piece once and it didn't take. I should probably buy some from gulf coast ecosystem as I think their stuff is pretty good and would have a better chance.

Tank is looking beautiful! So clean!!!!

What about a green algae like this?

http://www.kpaquatics.com/product/toadstool-algae/

People are giving it good reviews. I guess you get a lot of brittle stars and pods with it. It looks like lush grass to me. Not sure how invasive it would be though. Anyways, I saw it and thought I'd throw that possibility out there :).

I like that Gena. It looks like it stays short and that is what I want. Thanks for the recommendation.

I like that Gena. It looks like it stays short and that is what I want. Thanks for the recommendation.

No problem :). I've admired it many times in the past and it sounds like it would be good for your tank. I think I read in one of the reviews that someone's seahorses really like hanging out in/around it. Might have been dwarf seahorses though. But sounds like it's a good place to grow some pods for your fish too.

Just chillin' with a cup of coffee and the moonlight LEDs on in the seahorse garden.

Sounds like a perfect morning :happy:.

Well I made a decision today and I hope it wasn't a bad one. I took down Baby's aBode and moved Baby, his goby roommates and the sand from his tank into the seahorse garden. I did it for a couple of reasons, but the main being MTS. I just never like having more than 1 tank. I worried about putting Baby in with the seahorses since clowns are not recommended. However Baby is a captive bred clown and they tend to be more layed back than wild caught. Baby is very easy going if not a bit shy so I decided to take the risk. I am going to kick myself if I have to tear the tank apart to catch him again!

Archived