Innovative Marine Aquariums

Dawn's seahorse garden. Farewell 36g bowfront!

vlangel

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The ulva hat is pretty!! A few of mine walk around with bubble algae hats

Its hard to see but the second pic is a snail with a bubble algae hat, (thats the one not to be outdone by his roommate with the ulva hat).

I have been admiring Alyssa's seahorses lately! She is amazing! They had a whole tank full of them at the PEA booth at MACNA, which was the tank full of gorgonians and sponges. Those types of tanks always make me so happy :) I don't think you could go wrong getting your seahorses from Alyssa, especially if you can go pick them out in person. And Gena had a great suggestion to ask about sponges because they had plenty of the big yellow frilly sponges at MACNA. I don't have any luck with the orange sponges long term, but the yellow ones have always done well for me. I believe Gena has had the same experience. The ones from KPA are great, but they usually only have very small ones. I was excited to see PEA had some nice big ones. You should see if they have any more.

I bet having the sump in the basement like that makes a world of difference! I fantasize about having a fish equipment room someday :D I'm glad you were brave enough to drill through the floor and make your life soooo much easier!

And an upgrade?! How exciting!!! Sounds like a good idea to me if you're going to get two more seahorses, and I could see how the bowfront would be hard to clean. I bet the column, cube would look really nice!

I saw everyone's pics of the seahorse tank at MACNA and did not put it together that they were Alyssa's seahorses until yesterday when I looked at her facebook page. I went to her FB to read an article she wrote on seahorse care. It was actually that article that got me thinking of an upgrade. In it she said that a sand substrate is more difficult to maintain, not impossible but harder to keep up. Since I have been fighting cyano for a while I have been considering removing the sandbed and providing a healthier tank for the ponies is all the more encouragement to do it. I do not like the looks of a plain bare bottom tank though so I would want the bottom painted to look like a substrate. That would be a major undertaking with my current tank, so if I were even half way thinking of a bigger tank, now would be the time.

I priced the tank and stand at the lfs closest to me and it would be about $300 or so which isn't bad. That is choosing a tank without a built in overflow and a plain pine stand, which is what I would want anyhow. My HOB overflow works flawlessly and is quiet now with the diy hoffer gurgle buster and reverse durso. I will repaint the stand so the pine is perfect for that.

As silly as this is, rehoming Cukes, my cucumber is what is holding me up. He's homely but that is some of his charm and I am fond of him. I guess to keep the sand bed healthy for the ponies it needs to be syphoned more and thats not good for Cukes anyway so I guess its in his best interest to rehome him.

I saw everyone's pics of the seahorse tank at MACNA and did not put it together that they were Alyssa's seahorses until yesterday when I looked at her facebook page. I went to her FB to read an article she wrote on seahorse care. It was actually that article that got me thinking of an upgrade. In it she said that a sand substrate is more difficult to maintain, not impossible but harder to keep up. Since I have been fighting cyano for a while I have been considering removing the sandbed and providing a healthier tank for the ponies is all the more encouragement to do it. I do not like the looks of a plain bare bottom tank though so I would want the bottom painted to look like a substrate. That would be a major undertaking with my current tank, so if I were even half way thinking of a bigger tank, now would be the time.

I priced the tank and stand at the lfs closest to me and it would be about $300 or so which isn't bad. That is choosing a tank without a built in overflow and a plain pine stand, which is what I would want anyhow. My HOB overflow works flawlessly and is quiet now with the diy hoffer gurgle buster and reverse durso. I will repaint the stand so the pine is perfect for that.

As silly as this is, rehoming Cukes, my cucumber is what is holding me up. He's homely but that is some of his charm and I am fond of him. I guess to keep the sand bed healthy for the ponies it needs to be syphoned more and thats not good for Cukes anyway so I guess its in his best interest to rehome him.

You can use white starboard on the bottom that way you don't need to paint it! I think Ben had used that in his Amber clad tank. It would give you that look of a substrate possibly!

You can use white starboard on the bottom that way you don't need to paint it! I think Ben had used that in his Amber clad tank. It would give you that look of a substrate possibly!

That could work but I checked out Ben's Amber clad FTS at the start of his thread and he has diatoms or something just like I do on my sandbed. I think they would be easier to get rid of on a smooth surface. I would use a textured paint on the outside of the glass of the bottom of the tank. I will probably go with a soft white or even ever so slightly yellow to bring out the color in the seahorses. If I hate it, then I add sand.

I am thinking of painting a pale blue/aqua twight sky effect on the back wall too to again encourage colors to come forth in my seahorses. Seahorses are a bit chameleon like and will change color according to their surroundings. I still have an airbrush that will spray oil base paint from when I went to the Art Institute of Pgh. I have not used it in like 35 years but hey, a little practice and I should be good to go, right? LOL

That could work but I checked out Ben's Amber clad FTS at the start of his thread and he has diatoms or something just like I do on my sandbed. I think they would be easier to get rid of on a smooth surface. I would use a textured paint on the outside of the glass of the bottom of the tank. I will probably go with a soft white or even ever so slightly yellow to bring out the color in the seahorses. If I hate it, then I add sand.

I am thinking of painting a pale blue/aqua twight sky effect on the back wall too to again encourage colors to come forth in my seahorses. Seahorses are a bit chameleon like and will change color according to their surroundings. I still have an airbrush that will spray oil base paint from when I went to the Art Institute of Pgh. I have not used it in like 35 years but hey, a little practice and I should be good to go, right? LOL

The pale blue/aqua would look really nice. If I got a new tank, I would (try to) do that. And make it a gradient, a bit darker at the bottom and lighter as you get to the top! Just need to keep it clean from algae though.

Starboard will grow algae just like anything else that is stationary, even worse than sand since at least sand moves a little bit :)

There really isn't a great way to go about it. Bare bottom is okay, but unless you have excellent flow, I don't think it will look good. I think since you'll be a higher nutrient tank, I would do a 2-3" layer of oolite sand and then an inch or so of a thick sand like I did in my new setup. One problem with having no sandbed is that you rely solely on the rockwork to provide enough space for denitrifiying bacteria to process nitrate, and without that happening, alkalinity is used up almost immediately (one molecule of carbonate is used per molecule of nitrate made by nitrifying bacteria) and even soft corals aren't too fond of that.

The pale blue/aqua would look really nice. If I got a new tank, I would (try to) do that. And make it a gradient, a bit darker at the bottom and lighter as you get to the top! Just need to keep it clean from algae though.

I just got back from Lowe's and talking to my sister in the paint department. I have my paint picked out. I just have to pull the trigger and bite the bullet and buy the new tank and stand.

Starboard will grow algae just like anything else that is stationary, even worse than sand since at least sand moves a little bit :)

There really isn't a great way to go about it. Bare bottom is okay, but unless you have excellent flow, I don't think it will look good. I think since you'll be a higher nutrient tank, I would do a 2-3" layer of oolite sand and then an inch or so of a thick sand like I did in my new setup. One problem with having no sandbed is that you rely solely on the rockwork to provide enough space for denitrifiying bacteria to process nitrate, and without that happening, alkalinity is used up almost immediately (one molecule of carbonate is used per molecule of nitrate made by nitrifying bacteria) and even soft corals aren't too fond of that.

Thanks Ben, that is helpful information. Every tank set up I have done except this one has had a deep sand bed for denitrification. Actually I do have a 5" DSB in the fuge which is 12" x 12". I don't know if that is big enough for my tank and it is still fairly new. I probably put it in 3 months ago or so. I did test my nitrates about a week ago and they were less than 5ppm, which for a seahorse tank is really good. The fuge DSB may not be adequate for 4 seahorses however.

The 56 gallon column is 24" high so I could spare 3-4" for a DSB in the display and unlike most folks, I don't think they are ugly. I do worry however with the nutrients of a seahorse tank that a DSB could be a nutrient sink.

How much flow is necessary to keep a bb tank looking good? Seahorses should have 10Xs turnover minimum and 15Xs is better. I could do that without much trouble and I thought I could have 2 of my 3 powerheads near the bottom of the tank pointing at the floor. Also bb tanks are recommended for seahorses, so they don't find old mysis trapped down in the sand, eat it and get an infection in the gut. That means syphoning debris daily though. Like you said Ben, there isn't really a great way to go about it.

I just got back from Lowe's and talking to my sister in the paint department. I have my paint picked out. I just have to pull the trigger and bite the bullet and buy the new tank and stand.

Sounds like this is going to happen :happydance:.

Sounds like this is going to happen :happydance:.

Yep, I bought the tank and stand tonight, ha ha! This has been the most impulsive tank upgrade I have ever done. Usually I think about it for months instead of days. I am pretty excited about it.

Yep, I bought the tank and stand tonight, ha ha! This has been the most impulsive tank upgrade I have ever done. Usually I think about it for months instead of days. I am pretty excited about it.

AWESOME! Congrats on ur new "Baby"! When is it due? ;) lol!

giphy.gif

AWESOME! Congrats on ur new "Baby"! When is it due? ;) lol!

Actually I have the tank now but the stand had to be special ordered. They (the lfs) will call when it comes in. I want to paint the bottom and the back wall any way so I am not in a hurry.

giphy.gif

You told me to do it so I did!

AWESOME!

Now if I could only learn to read :rolleyes:

U did say that U bought that bad boy! :wub:

Yes, that 'bad boy' is in my basement ready for me to paint or whatever I end up doing to the bottom. Instead of actually painting the back wall, I may paint something to be taped onto the back wall, I haven't decided on that yet.

Great tank

It is and I am pretty excited about it!

Aww yeah... Upgrades baby. The 56 is a good choice. I love those dimensions.

Its perfect for a small herd of ponies. The same footprint almost as the bowfront but 20 more gallons of water. Its tall so the seahorses can mate, (even if I do add a sandbed) and deep enough to allow room behind the rockwork for scraping the back wall. I am excited.

Thanks Ben, that is helpful information. Every tank set up I have done except this one has had a deep sand bed for denitrification. Actually I do have a 5" DSB in the fuge which is 12" x 12". I don't know if that is big enough for my tank and it is still fairly new. I probably put it in 3 months ago or so. I did test my nitrates about a week ago and they were less than 5ppm, which for a seahorse tank is really good. The fuge DSB may not be adequate for 4 seahorses however.

The 56 gallon column is 24" high so I could spare 3-4" for a DSB in the display and unlike most folks, I don't think they are ugly. I do worry however with the nutrients of a seahorse tank that a DSB could be a nutrient sink.

How much flow is necessary to keep a bb tank looking good? Seahorses should have 10Xs turnover minimum and 15Xs is better. I could do that without much trouble and I thought I could have 2 of my 3 powerheads near the bottom of the tank pointing at the floor. Also bb tanks are recommended for seahorses, so they don't find old mysis trapped down in the sand, eat it and get an infection in the gut. That means syphoning debris daily though. Like you said Ben, there isn't really a great way to go about it.

Yeah, for more ponies I would definitely recommend a much larger DSB. I honestly think that combined with a large skimmer would be your best bet for filtration to keep them happy. Your sump is in the basement, right, so you should be able to fit something larger, like a 40 breeder or so, you can make one section for the drain to come in and the skimmer, then go into a large section for the DSB, and then a smaller return section, wouldn't be too hard and cut glass is pretty cheap :)

I had around 50x turnover in my 40, and it wasn't enough to keep stuff from getting stuck under the rocks. I had to physically lift them up off the bottom and then it was much better. I would probably recommend a pair of Tunze 6040, though, as those you can point to blow only across the bottom to keep stuff moving off of it, and the ponies shouldn't be able to hitch on them and hurt themselves.

Yes, that 'bad boy' is in my basement ready for me to paint or whatever I end up doing to the bottom. Instead of actually painting the back wall, I may paint something to be taped onto the back wall, I haven't decided on that yet.

It is and I am pretty excited about it!

I, for 1, can't wait to see this build :)

Sometimes I get jealous of other folks being able to get or build a new Reef.

I will have to live and love thru other folks' tanks :)

I thought impulsiveness was for young people? :D

Happy to hear about the upgrade, can't wait to see what you do with it.

Hey, if memory serves me right I am only a little older than you. Aren't you still young? LOL

Basically this build will pretty much be just a transfer into a bigger tank with all the same equipment with the exception of some bigger powerheads. I am hoping to do something more artistic with the back wall however.

Archived