Coral Vue Hydros

Dawn's seahorse garden. Farewell 36g bowfront!

vlangel

Thanks Nick, I really have tried to take good care of Abraham and my other fish and I am recognising that these things happen.

Thanks Snow, its sad but I am consoling myself that he went rather peacefully and that I had given him a good life.

Thanks Mark. I do plan to get another pair of pipefish when I get the new tank set up and stable.

I'm happy to hear you'll get another pair! I've been thinking of getting a pair for my macro tank. What kind was Abraham and where did you get him? He was beautiful.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So sorry Dawn :(

I agree with Rachel, Moving forward u have a new build in progress.

This should hopefully help u focus on something positive and not reflect

on the negative. :flower::grouphug:

Aw, I'm so sorry about Abraham. But I'm glad he lived out his lifespan and won't have to go through the stress of the tank transfer. I'm looking forward to seeing new pipefish in the new tank!

I'm happy to hear you'll get another pair! I've been thinking of getting a pair for my macro tank. What kind was Abraham and where did you get him? He was beautiful.

I bought Abraham and Sarah from Ocean Rider, the same place I bought Adam and Eve from. I believe they are the only source for captive bred pipefish. Abraham was a banded flagfin pipefish and he and Sarah came trained to eat frozen mysis. Last I checked OR's pipefish were $49. In my opinion they are an excellant choice because their survivability is high if they are with compatible tank mates. My only concern in your case would be tank size. If I remember correctly they may need more water volume than 12 gallons. They might be better in your big tank? but I can't recall what other fish you have in that tank.

So sorry Dawn :(

I agree with Rachel, Moving forward u have a new build in progress.

This should hopefully help u focus on something positive and not reflect

on the negative. :flower::grouphug:

Thats what I am going to do Astinus. I will remember what a cool pipefish he was but I am going to look forward to having a tank with a new pair along with my herd.

Sorry Dawn. Keep your head up.

Thanks Justin. I am sad but not demoralized. Fish live, get old and die...its just one of the realities of keeping a tank. I have had tanks long enough to see a lot come and go and not all of them lived out natural life spans so this is not really that bad.

Aw, I'm so sorry about Abraham. But I'm glad he lived out his lifespan and won't have to go through the stress of the tank transfer. I'm looking forward to seeing new pipefish in the new tank!

Me too teeny. Once he began to fail I began to hope that he would not have to endure a tank transfer, so this worked out as it was supposed to. I am looking forward to so much with the new tank and its getting close. :-)

Sorry to see that he ended up passing, but it is very obvious that you took great care of him and that all of your animals are truly important to you - looking forward to seeing where things go :)

I bought Abraham and Sarah from Ocean Rider, the same place I bought Adam and Eve from. I believe they are the only source for captive bred pipefish. Abraham was a banded flagfin pipefish and he and Sarah came trained to eat frozen mysis. Last I checked OR's pipefish were $49. In my opinion they are an excellant choice because their survivability is high if they are with compatible tank mates. My only concern in your case would be tank size. If I remember correctly they may need more water volume than 12 gallons. They might be better in your big tank? but I can't recall what other fish you have in that tank.

Thats what I am going to do Astinus. I will remember what a cool pipefish he was but I am going to look forward to having a tank with a new pair along with my herd.

Thanks Justin. I am sad but not demoralized. Fish live, get old and die...its just one of the realities of keeping a tank. I have had tanks long enough to see a lot come and go and not all of them lived out natural life spans so this is not really that bad.

Me too teeny. Once he began to fail I began to hope that he would not have to endure a tank transfer, so this worked out as it was supposed to. I am looking forward to so much with the new tank and its getting close. :-)

Thanks for the info, Dawn!! I swapped my 12 gallon to a 55 - right now, all I have in there is a bicolor Blenny holding the fort down! But I need to get rid of a tiger pistol before I put anymore fish in. He killed the watchman he had been living happily with and also took out two wrasses :( I Still have the 12 running, but am slowly transferring stuff. I lost bob to a pompom crab and still feel awful about it. He had homed himself in some algae and the Pom would get close to him. Found him with sting marks all over one side. Still not sure which tank the Pom should go in. Anyway, probably too much info!

Sorry to see that he ended up passing, but it is very obvious that you took great care of him and that all of your animals are truly important to you - looking forward to seeing where things go :)

I knew it was coming and there was nothing I could do to save him. At that point I just wanted to make it as easy and gentle as possible. I am going to enquire of Ocean Rider's tech just how I should expect one of their pipefish to live. If its around 3 years or less then I will assume he had a normal life span.

By the way, do you still have your dwarf seahorses?. I would love to read an update if you do.

That sounds like a plan, Dawn. Hope u can get some resolution and solstice in knowing that u did indeed do the right thing :)

Thanks for the info, Dawn!! I swapped my 12 gallon to a 55 - right now, all I have in there is a bicolor Blenny holding the fort down! But I need to get rid of a tiger pistol before I put anymore fish in. He killed the watchman he had been living happily with and also took out two wrasses :( I Still have the 12 running, but am slowly transferring stuff. I lost bob to a pompom crab and still feel awful about it. He had homed himself in some algae and the Pom would get close to him. Found him with sting marks all over one side. Still not sure which tank the Pom should go in. Anyway, probably too much info!

LOL, O my Rachel, I am so out of the loop! So let me get this straight-you have the big SCA 66 gallon, you have a 55 gallon with macros from the the 12 gallon and you still have the 12 gallon long and you have Fusion 10, is that correct? I think you have MTS real bad!

I really need to read your threads more carefully. So many threads, so little time.

That sounds like a plan, Dawn. Hope u can get some resolution and solstice in knowing that u did indeed do the right thing :)

Me too Astinus. Even if I find that they live longer, more in the 5 year range I will know that info for the next pipefish I get.

LOL, O my Rachel, I am so out of the loop! So let me get this straight-you have the big SCA 66 gallon, you have a 55 gallon with macros from the the 12 gallon and you still have the 12 gallon long and you have Fusion 10, is that correct? I think you have MTS real bad!

I really need to read your threads more carefully. So many threads, so little time.

Me too Astinus. Even if I find that they live longer, more in the 5 year range I will know that info for the next pipefish I get.

:lol: you would be correct! But I only update the 66 thread. I can barely deal with multiple tanks, never mind multiple threads!

I knew it was coming and there was nothing I could do to save him. At that point I just wanted to make it as easy and gentle as possible. I am going to enquire of Ocean Rider's tech just how I should expect one of their pipefish to live. If its around 3 years or less then I will assume he had a normal life span.

By the way, do you still have your dwarf seahorses?. I would love to read an update if you do.

Seems like that's the right way to do things. I'd be curious to know their life expectancy too, I'm interested in getting a pair of them (like the one I had) for my 15 gallon tall. They are such interesting fish!

As far as the dwarfs, they were a good project to do with my 5th graders and I really enjoyed them too, but I went to Puerto Rico this summer and instead of asking someone to do all of the work taking care of them and hatching brine, I gave them to someone I knew who already had a set up and some dwarfs. Can't say that I'd do them again with the work that's involved, but it was a fun learning experience :)

Seems like that's the right way to do things. I'd be curious to know their life expectancy too, I'm interested in getting a pair of them (like the one I had) for my 15 gallon tall. They are such interesting fish!

As far as the dwarfs, they were a good project to do with my 5th graders and I really enjoyed them too, but I went to Puerto Rico this summer and instead of asking someone to do all of the work taking care of them and hatching brine, I gave them to someone I knew who already had a set up and some dwarfs. Can't say that I'd do them again with the work that's involved, but it was a fun learning experience :)

Thanks for the update on the dwarf seahorses. I have never kept dwarves but can imagine that it is rigorous to hatch brine every day. I have considered them but did not think I was up to the task.

Well, tomorrow this beloved tank is coming down. In December it would have been up 4 years. Of all the aquariums I have had this has been my favorite. It has housed nems, LPS and ponies, not to mention that it was my aquarium that got to be a featured reef.

When it comes to my new love of seahorses however it has some limitations. The biggest is only being large enough to house 1 pair of ponies but also erectus seahorses should have a slightly higher tank. I have taken 1 last FTS that I will post if photobucket ever cooperates.

TBH Dawn, I like Imageshack...It is easy and I have never had an issue uploading.

Well, except for user error on my end :rolleyes:

Was trying to upload from the cell phone instead of the computer.

Well, tomorrow this beloved tank is coming down. In December it would have been up 4 years. Of all the aquariums I have had this has been my favorite. It has housed nems, LPS and ponies, not to mention that it was my aquarium that got to be a featured reef.

When it comes to my new love of seahorses however it has some limitations. The biggest is only being large enough to house 1 pair of ponies but also erectus seahorses should have a slightly higher tank. I have taken 1 last FTS that I will post if photobucket ever cooperates.

What are you going to go with next?

TBH Dawn, I like Imageshack...It is easy and I have never had an issue uploading.

Well, except for user error on my end :rolleyes:

Was trying to upload from the cell phone instead of the computer.

I use Imgur, which is really good. No ads, no glitches.

Thanks, I think I may have to try one of them because my photobucket has been acting up for awhile.

What are you going to go with next?

Thanks Mark for passing that along.

Nano sapiens, it will be all the same stuff in a bigger tank so I can have a bigger herd of ponies. It will not have sand however since most seahorse keepers believe sand makes keeping healthy seahorses harder.

Nano sapiens, it will be all the same stuff in a bigger tank so I can have a bigger herd of ponies. It will not have sand however since most seahorse keepers believe sand makes keeping healthy seahorses harder.

Ah, I see. Interesting that sand is viewed as an issue by seahorse keepers. What is/are the concern(s)?

Ah, I see. Interesting that sand is viewed as an issue by seahorse keepers. What is/are the concern(s)?

Compared to other fish that have scales, seahorses differ in that they have less efficient digestive systems. They do not get as much energy from the high fat/protein diet so they must eat a lot. Also their primitive digestive system does not give them the immune support that other fish have. As a result you have a creature that must eat a lot of fatty high protein food but it is poorly digested.

Seahorses are notoriously messy eaters. They suck the mysis in and then pulverize it. You can see what looks like little puffs of smoke coming out of their gills, but its really pulverized bits of mysis.

Also they do not have protective scales like most fish but they have skin. If they get a scratch or an abrasion with their poor immune system and all the bacteria that can build up from their heavy bioload, they can succumb from an infection pronto.

Pathogenic bacteria is the biggest concern that seahorse keepers must deal with and it can not be tested for with a test kit. Anywhere in a tank where excess food, detritus, or seahorse waste can collect and build up is a potential bed for fueling dangerous bacteria. The only way to deal with it is due diligence - wiping down all surfaces, keeping all filter socks/pads changed every 3 days, and large water changes. I should have been syphoning my sand bed frequently but because I had an atlantic cucumber that I did not want to starve I probably did not syphon enough. I syphoned just enough to negatively impact the microfauna so I was fighting cyano. Its just easier to have a seahorse tank with 15Xs (or more) turnover to keep detritus in suspension to be filtered and skimmed out. Many keepers have their ponies in tanks with artificial decor since rock, coral and macro algae can trap detritus. I just can't do that because I love the looks of a natural looking reef. I did not like giving up the sand bed either but I am going to try a painted bare bottom tank. If I hate it I can add sand and diligently syphon it.

Compared to other fish that have scales, seahorses differ in that they have less efficient digestive systems. They do not get as much energy from the high fat/protein diet so they must eat a lot. Also their primitive digestive system does not give them the immune support that other fish have. As a result you have a creature that must eat a lot of fatty high protein food but it is poorly digested.

Seahorses are notoriously messy eaters. They suck the mysis in and then pulverize it. You can see what looks like little puffs of smoke coming out of their gills, but its really pulverized bits of mysis.

Also they do not have protective scales like most fish but they have skin. If they get a scratch or an abrasion with their poor immune system and all the bacteria that can build up from their heavy bioload, they can succumb from an infection pronto.

Pathogenic bacteria is the biggest concern that seahorse keepers must deal with and it can not be tested for with a test kit. Anywhere in a tank where excess food, detritus, or seahorse waste can collect and build up is a potential bed for fueling dangerous bacteria. The only way to deal with it is due diligence - wiping down all surfaces, keeping all filter socks/pads changed every 3 days, and large water changes. I should have been syphoning my sand bed frequently but because I had an atlantic cucumber that I did not want to starve I probably did not syphon enough. I syphoned just enough to negatively impact the microfauna so I was fighting cyano. Its just easier to have a seahorse tank with 15Xs (or more) turnover to keep detritus in suspension to be filtered and skimmed out. Many keepers have their ponies in tanks with artificial decor since rock, coral and macro algae can trap detritus. I just can't do that because I love the looks of a natural looking reef. I did not like giving up the sand bed either but I am going to try a painted bare bottom tank. If I hate it I can add sand and diligently syphon it.

Very interesting and thanks for the detailed explanation. Seahorses are wonderful little critters and I can see why they are considered so delicate.

Just a thought. How about a bottom layer that has the look of sand while allowing for easy detritus collection? Thin plastic sheeting, cut to the tank bottom size, then thinly coated with tank safe silicone and a smooth grain sand or gravel added on top? Let it harden for 48 hrs. and you've got a sandy looking bottom without the depth that collects detritus.

Very interesting and thanks for the detailed explanation. Seahorses are wonderful little critters and I can see why they are considered so delicate.

Just a thought. How about a bottom layer that has the look of sand while allowing for easy detritus collection? Thin plastic sheeting, cut to the tank bottom size, then thinly coated with tank safe silicone and a smooth grain sand or gravel added on top? Let it harden for 48 hrs. and you've got a sandy looking bottom without the depth that collects detritus.

You are welcome.

Yes, that might work or in a similar vein since I already painted the underneath of the bottom glass of the new tank with a sandstone texture paint, I thought I could add a very thin layer of sand that could easily be stirred or basted to release detritus. This tank is 24" high however so I am hoping that I am satisfied with just the painted bare bottom, so that I don't have to get wet to my arm pits, ha ha. With seahorses soggy sleeves are a reality.

You are welcome.

Yes, that might work or in a similar vein since I already painted the underneath of the bottom glass of the new tank with a sandstone texture paint, I thought I could add a very thin layer of sand that could easily be stirred or basted to release detritus. This tank is 24" high however so I am hoping that I am satisfied with just the painted bare bottom, so that I don't have to get wet to my arm pits, ha ha. With seahorses soggy sleeves are a reality.

The reality with the fixed glued on sand bed is that coralline algae will eventually cover it in most tanks, which would then require occasional removal/soaking in vinegar if one wanted a white sand bed. look. I think your idea is a good one and I hope it works out for you.

24" deep...tank top t-shirt and long arms :)

Well everyone, phase 1 of the tank trasfer is done - taking down the 36 gallon bowfront. It is scrubbed clean and ready to sell.

My livestock are divided between the original 30 gallon XH and a spare 10 gallon aquariums. My light fixture can be used over the 30g so nearly all the coral, macros, one of the 2 large rocks, Eve, KB, snails and the lone hermit are in that tank. I am running my hob Prism pro skimmer for filtration and the tunze nanostream 6045. I used 2/3s of the water from the bowfront and a third was fresh made saltwater.

The 10g has a hob penguin filter and contains the other large rock, Baby the clownfish, the cucumber, nassarius snails and the gobies.

Dave, (when he gets home from work) should be able to help me carry the 56 gallon column tank up from the basement so I can set it up. However, with WCs I should be able to maintain everything just fine as it is. Eve seems comfortable because I heard her snicking some of the feeder shrimp I added to her temporary home. Its a good sign when she is hunting! :-)

Archived