Innovative Marine Aquariums

Dawn's seahorse garden. Farewell 36g bowfront!

vlangel

I turned on the moonlight LEDs this morning and noticed that Abraham the pipefish was not swimming right. He is kind of bent into a U and just being carried in the flow. Then I noticed that his flagfin tail is ragged and clamped. :-( I do not think I am going to have Abraham much longer.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn....Sorry V :(

Me too, I don't know what happened. He seemed fine last night at dinner when I fed him and Eve. I have not seen Baby, the clownfish act aggressive with him but thats all I can figure. Unless he just got sick in the night and he's deteriorating as a result of sickness. At any rate I had decided prior to move Baby to the sump when I do the tank tranfer to the 56 gallon.

I was happy to see Abraham eat tonight but I have decided that he seems to be failing. He 's over 2 years old and I don't know what a normal life expectancy is for a pipefish.

Sorry to hear Abraham is not doing so well. I don't know the life expectancy of the pipefish, but my general impression is that the smaller fish don't seem to last more than two or three years on average.

Sorry to hear Abraham is not doing so well. I don't know the life expectancy of the pipefish, but my general impression is that the smaller fish don't seem to last more than two or three years on average.

I have had Abraham 2 full years but I think Ocean Rider keeps them for about 6 months before selling them. Perhaps he is just aged. It is still sad.

I was happy to see Abraham eat tonight but I have decided that he seems to be failing. He 's over 2 years old and I don't know what a normal life expectancy is for a pipefish.

Sorry about the pipe fish. :(

When I turned the LED lights on this morning Abraham was laying on the sand. I was wondering if he was dead when he got up and swam around. He has never layed on the sand in the past so I know for sure that things are not right with him. He doesn't seem in pain so I hope he goes peacefully...and before I do the tank transfer.

Sorry about the pipe fish. :(

Aww.soeey about Abraham Dawn :(

Damn :( It sucks to watch and go through this...sorry V :(

Thanks everyone, yeah its sad. I haven't turned on the LEDs yet this morning as I am dreading what I will find.

I was doing some research last night on pipefish. It seems the lifespan is anywhere between 1-3 years depending on type and size (small=shorter) and in most cases, it seemed two years was around the average life expectancy. So it does sound as if Abraham is just nearing the end of his natural life cycle and it sounds as if he's made it pst the average for sure!

Have u considered a Hospital tank? I don't know if capturing Abraham would be to stressful though. :(

I did consider a hospital tank. I can't see any obvious symptoms to treat as he does not appear to have a bacterial infection. I doubt it is parasites as none of my fish have been exposed to new fish for 2 years plus he does not scratch or twitch. So I doubt he is a danger to his tank mates nor do any of them seem to be danger to him. If he is just failing due to age, I want him to be as comfortable as possible and that is probably in his own enviroment.

I was doing some research last night on pipefish. It seems the lifespan is anywhere between 1-3 years depending on type and size (small=shorter) and in most cases, it seemed two years was around the average life expectancy. So it does sound as if Abraham is just nearing the end of his natural life cycle and it sounds as if he's made it pst the average for sure!

Thanks Rachel for looking into that. I tried to contact Ocean Rider's tech to ask that but I can't find my password to post a question. Your info helps me feel that just leaving Abraham be is probably the best course of action.

I saw Abraham laying in the dragon's breath very still. I thought he had passed but not quite. I do expect him to be gone by morning though. :-(

Before Adam I had not lost a fish since my purple firefish passed. Now in the span of 6 weeks I have had to say good-bye to two beloved pets.

Before Adam I had not lost a fish since my purple firefish passed. Now in the span of 6 weeks I have had to say good-bye to two beloved pets.

Aww. I'm so sorry, Dawn. It isn't easy. I'm really glad you're doing the upgrade. I think it will be easier to say goodbye.

RIP Sebastian

I'm so sorry, Dawn. At least you took such good care of him that he lived out his entire life with you!

Nick

Aww. I'm so sorry, Dawn. It isn't easy. I'm really glad you're doing the upgrade. I think it will be easier to say goodbye.

Thanks Rachel, I had not thought about it that way before but I think you're right. When I get the new tank up it will feel like a new start and may not be as painful.

I'm so sorry, Dawn. At least you took such good care of him that he lived out his entire life with you!

Nick

Thanks Nick, I really have tried to take good care of Abraham and my other fish and I am recognising that these things happen.

My deepest condolences, Dawn. Losing one fish is hard, losing two is a blow. :(

Hang in there. :grouphug:

Thanks Snow, its sad but I am consoling myself that he went rather peacefully and that I had given him a good life.

Sorry Dawn. I do hope you will get another pipefish.

Thanks Mark. I do plan to get another pair of pipefish when I get the new tank set up and stable.

Archived