Coral Vue Hydros

Dawn's seahorse garden. Farewell 36g bowfront!

vlangel

Well I am very sad to report that Adam didn't pull through. His condition worsened this weekend and so tonight I chose to end his struggle. I hope I never have to do that again.

Noooooo! Oh my goodness, Dawn! I'm so sorry. I can't believe that this happened. I salute you for the fact that you were able to do it- I wouldn't have been able to. You're still the best sea horse Mommy ever, though.

Change "horse" to "seahorse" and "Sebastian" to "Adam".

NIck

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Noooooo! Oh my goodness, Dawn! I'm so sorry. I can't believe that this happened. I salute you for the fact that you were able to do it- I wouldn't have been able to. You're still the best sea horse Mommy ever, though.

Change "horse" to "seahorse" and "Sebastian" to "Adam".

NIck

Ahhh thanks Nick, your tribute to Adam brought tears to my eyes because I was so touched.

I'm so sorry, Dawn. I know you did the right thing, and you did everything you could, but it's so hard anyway. We'll all miss Adam :grouphug:

Thanks teeny. I kept putting it off hoping each day hoping I would see some little sign of improvement. Yesterday however it was clear that his condition was deteriorating, ( his eyes went from being just swelled up to being cloudy too and he had not eatten anything in a week). I felt I should do something before he appeared to be in obvious distress. It was very very hard though.

Oh dawn I'm so so sorry about Adam.

Thanks Rachel, I am very sorry too. Adam was special and I never felt so bad about losing a fish.

:closedeyes: So sorry to see this. RIP Adam, your were more of a rockstar around here than you'll ever know

Thanks pinner, yes, he really was a rockstar and I am really gonna miss him.

Thanks teeny. I kept putting it off hoping each day hoping I would see some little sign of improvement. Yesterday however it was clear that his condition was deteriorating, ( his eyes went from being just swelled up to being cloudy too and he had not eatten anything in a week). I felt I should do something before he appeared to be in obvious distress. It was very very hard though.

Thanks Rachel, I am very sorry too. Adam was special and I never felt so bad about losing a fish.

:( I'm sure. Adam was special and he and Eve had a special bond. His personality showed through so it is more like losing a treasured pet than just a fish.

So sorry! You always care so much for them and I was hoping he'd pull through.

Thanks Jackie. I have been very fond of a lot of my fish over the years but Adam and Eve are really special. I am going to be feeling this loss for quite a while.

Aw man so sorry about adam. That really sucks

Thanks Justin, yep, this was a tough one and I am going to miss him for quite a while.

:grouphug: So Sorry :tears:

Thanks Astinus, this loss really hurts. I have pulled him through before and I was hoping I could again but it wasn't to be.

:( I'm sure. Adam was special and he and Eve had a special bond. His personality showed through so it is more like losing a treasured pet than just a fish.

You are so right Rachel. Watching he and Eve holding tails and swimming around the tank most mornings just made me feel good. I will really miss that.

I don't feel with Baby, and KB in the tank that it is wise to put any more seahorses in at this time. I am going to wait until either Baby or KB live out their natural life before I add another seahorse. Eve seems to be doing alright and not pining for Adam.

I am so sorry to hear :(. I know it's tough. Try not to be too hard on yourself. These are delicate creatures and he had a wonderful and loving home with you. Keep your head up :grouphug:.

I am so sorry to hear :(. I know it's tough. Try not to be too hard on yourself. These are delicate creatures and he had a wonderful and loving home with you. Keep your head up :grouphug:.

Thanks Gena for the kind words. I should have syphoned the sand from Baby's tank before I added it to the seahorse tank and now I am kicking myself for not doing that. It had more detritus and gunk in it than I knew until after I added it. I had pretty well stripped the sand in the seahorse tank of everything from syphoning it so much and I was worried about Cukes starving. Sometimes it is hard to balance all the needs of our different creatures.

Oh no :( so sorry to hear about Adam. I'm too scared to try to keep sea horse, I think you do a wonderful job of it. Bet you it was just his time to go.

Thanks Gena for the kind words. I should have syphoned the sand from Baby's tank before I added it to the seahorse tank and now I am kicking myself for not doing that. It had more detritus and gunk in it than I knew until after I added it. I had pretty well stripped the sand in the seahorse tank of everything from syphoning it so much and I was worried about Cukes starving. Sometimes it is hard to balance all the needs of our different creatures.

It is sooo difficult. Probably why so many of us end up with MTS :). This hobby is a continuous learning experience, sometimes so difficult emotionally, but we do grow from these experiences.

Oh no :( so sorry to hear about Adam. I'm too scared to try to keep sea horse, I think you do a wonderful job of it. Bet you it was just his time to go.

Ahh thank you Sharbuckle. I have tried to provide a healthy home for Adam and Eve but I definitely think I made a mistake in moving the sandbed from Baby's tank. Moving Baby in the seahorse tank was a calculated risk and I should have stopped there. I should not have pushed the boundaries with the sandbed too. I am sharing this because I want other seahorse keepers to learn from my mistake.

It is sooo difficult. Probably why so many of us end up with MTS :). This hobby is a continuous learning experience, sometimes so difficult emotionally, but we do grow from these experiences.

Yes, that is so true. Like you said, it can be difficult emotionally some times but we can grow from these experiences and also others can learn from our mistakes which is my hope and reason for sharing.

Yes, that is so true. Like you said, it can be difficult emotionally some times but we can grow from these experiences and also others can learn from our mistakes which is my hope and reason for sharing.

Yep...I hate reporting on deaths but I figure it may possibly help others so I do it....as hard as it is to do sometimes.

Yesterday I did another big water change and syphoned some of the sand bed. To my surprise the sand was not as dirty as I expected. I did not pull much out of it so now I am baffled. All I can figure is the debris released when I added the sand may have contributed to Adam fatal condition and most of that got filtered out or skimmed. I guess the good news is that the tank is in good shape for Eve. I have noticed for the last 2 weeks or so the tank has been staying cleaner. Of course having 1 less seahorse in it would be significant.

Yesterday I did another big water change and syphoned some of the sand bed. To my surprise the sand was not as dirty as I expected. I did not pull much out of it so now I am baffled. All I can figure is the debris released when I added the sand may have contributed to Adam fatal condition and most of that got filtered out or skimmed. I guess the good news is that the tank is in good shape for Eve. I have noticed for the last 2 weeks or so the tank has been staying cleaner. Of course having 1 less seahorse in it would be significant.

Glad to hear the tank seems clean and stable. Sorry again about Adam.

Glad to hear the tank seems clean and stable. Sorry again about Adam.

Thanks Mark. Yes, I am happy about the tank's condition. It is still sad not to see Adam but Eve seems healthy and happy and she does not appear to be grieving or lonely.

With the addition of Baby this tank feels more like a mixed specie tank than a seahorse tank. I am torn about whether it is wise to add another seahorse after I am sure it is settled. I would kind of like to get another female. I guess I will wait a month or so and then decide.

Archived