Pod Your Reef

Dawn's seahorse garden. Farewell 36g bowfront!

vlangel

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome back! I'm so glad everything is OK :)

Thanks teeny and congrats on totm! Well deserved.

Good to hear your Aunt is doing better!

Welcome back :) I was wondering what you were up to!

Thanks yoshii, yea its been a crazy summer. It went way too fast with all the goings on.

I am still catching up on life after everything. I have done several water changes on the seahorse tank to get the water quality back up. Unfortunately the seahorse garden looks more like a weed patch at the moment. Nothing that can't be reclaimed but its gonna take some elbow grease. The tank still has some cyano which I never completely eradicated before the last trip and now it also has some hair algae. O yeah, and of course there is always the ever present bubble algae, lol.

Part of the problem is my yard also looks like a weed patch so I have a lot of stuff screaming for my attention. I will pick at it all and eventually it should be beaten into submission, ha ha! Sorry, no pics until that happens though.

You've had quite the summer! :) Glad to hear the seahorses are doing well.

Thanks Mark, yes it has been a unique summer for sure. The ponies seem very healthy and happy so its ok with me that the tank doesn't quite look up to snuff for now.

Thanks Mark, yes it has been a unique summer for sure. The ponies seem very healthy and happy so its ok with me that the tank doesn't quite look up to snuff for now.

Them being healthy and happy is what really matters. The rest is cosmetic :).
  • 2 weeks later...

I am still trying to catch up. We had a fair amount of rain last week and the grass and weeds were growing...well like weeds, LOL!

I still need to do a deep clean on the seahorse tank but I think Adam is pregnant. His pouch looks quite full and I saw the ponies courting over the weekend. I hate to fool around in the tank more than necessary when he is pregnant.

The worst thing in the tank is the cyano on the sand bed. I have considered removing the sand but then I would need to rehome Cukes and although he is no beauty I am fond of him.

Some good news is my amphipod/copepod culture seems to be taking off. There are a lot of squiggly crusteceans in my 5 gallon tank. The seahorses will enjoy them I am sure.

I am slowly working on that deep clean. I found if I use a turkey baster to suck up a thin top layer I can get a lot of the cyano and leave most of the sand. Its a slow process but I think if I do it every day for a couple of weeks I should be in better shape eventually.

I am slowly working on that deep clean. I found if I use a turkey baster to suck up a thin top layer I can get a lot of the cyano and leave most of the sand. Its a slow process but I think if I do it every day for a couple of weeks I should be in better shape eventually.

When I had a Cyano outbreak, I battled the chit for about a month. I reduced feeding and I siphoned (lightly) every other day.

I also used a product for Cyano. Damned if I can remember the name of it :(

Cyano can be beat!

Vlangel, u definitely had an impact on us, Shar and I, when we 1st came back into the Hobby!

If ur able to have Seahorse Colts...U are obviously doing something right! Don't despair. :):flower::grouphug:

When I had a Cyano outbreak, I battled the chit for about a month. I reduced feeding and I siphoned (lightly) every other day.

I also used a product for Cyano. Damned if I can remember the name of it :(

Cyano can be beat!

Vlangel, u definitely had an impact on us, Shar and I, when we 1st came back into the Hobby!

If ur able to have Seahorse Colts...U are obviously doing something right! Don't despair. :):flower::grouphug:

Thanks for the encouraging words Astinus. Don't worry I am not dispairing, although I hate seeing my tank look like this. I have been in the hobby long enough to know that it can be beat but seahorses present a challenge with lowering feedings and using any products. They need to eat a lot of high fat, high protein food. I am afraid to use red slime remover or a similar product since I don't know if they are seahorse safe. I think the light syphoning will be my ticket to eradicating it. Thanks again.

Exactly my thoughts regarding adding any chemicals, especially since u have Seahorses.

Could u contact the company that makes that product and ask about using it in a Seahorse Tank...better yet, ask ur LFS (If U can trust them) about it. 2nd option, might not be viable? QT the Seahorses and treat DT until the Cyano has been eradicated.

If my memory or learning about Cyano, isn't Cyano the same as "Red Tide"? Same Bacteria?

IDK...I might be reaching here. Bottom line, I don't want to see ya lose ur Ponies!! I know u certainly don't want that to happen as well.

Damn, V! I am worried now that I am thinking this out as I type.

Exactly my thoughts regarding adding any chemicals, especially since u have Seahorses.

Could u contact the company that makes that product and ask about using it in a Seahorse Tank...better yet, ask ur LFS (If U can trust them) about it. 2nd option, might not be viable? QT the Seahorses and treat DT until the Cyano has been eradicated.

If my memory or learning about Cyano, isn't Cyano the same as "Red Tide"? Same Bacteria?

IDK...I might be reaching here. Bottom line, I don't want to see ya lose ur Ponies!! I know u certainly don't want that to happen as well.

Damn, V! I am worried now that I am thinking this out as I type.

Whoa Astinus, now you are stressing out over my tank! I don't want anyone else worrying about my tank, LOL.

I Stand corrected!!! I Googled Red Tide.

Red Tide is a totally different stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_tide

According to

http://www.marinedepot.com/Ultralife_Red_Slime_Remover_Saltwater_Aquarium_Additives_Supplements_Algae_Control-Ultralife-UL1311-FIADAL-vi.html

This product should be safe for ur Tank and will be detrimental to the Cyano....MMmwwahahaha *Insert Devil laughing face here*

If the light syphoning does not work I will consider this product. Also I forgot to mention that I have been starting to add Seachem Stability to the tank after my water changes again. I figure a little diversity of beneficial bacteria couldn't hurt.

Whoa Astinus, now you are stressing out over my tank! I don't want anyone else worrying about my tank, LOL.

If the light syphoning does not work I will consider this product. Also I forgot to mention that I have been starting to add Seachem Stability to the tank after my water changes again. I figure a little diversity of beneficial bacteria couldn't hurt.

lol! Sorry...But I enjoy ur Seahorses and Vids that you post...I guess it is part of my nature. I also like to try and help with problem solving. I Do care about ur Tank and stuff...*Gads* I am starting to ramble...

I'm a huge fan of overdosing bacteria supplements to outcompete bacterial issues :P

Me too - it has the advantage that it's almost impossible to hurt anything by doing so, unlike almost anything else you can add to the tank.

lol! Sorry...But I enjoy ur Seahorses and Vids that you post...I guess it is part of my nature. I also like to try and help with problem solving. I Do care about ur Tank and stuff...*Gads* I am starting to ramble...

I know you and Shar care and I really do appreciate it, so its ok if you ramble. I spent a lot of time reading Pete Giwojna's answers to different questions on seahorse.com. He doesn't recommend using any chemical products to remove cyano. He suggests limiting the daylight bulbs which I was also considering. He recommends controlling nutrients and he recommends utilizing CUCs that especially like to feed on cyano like banded trochus snails and red legged hermits.

I have to confess that I have not tested any parameters all summer. I guess I should start there. I am suspecting that my cartridges for my RO may need changed and that my phosphates are probably elevated. So I am a far cry from having exhausted all the possibilities yet!

Me too Astinus. What is WB V? (no doubt I am going to feel stupid when you tell me, ha ha!).

I didn't know either, so don't feel alone!

Archived