Coral Vue Hydros

Dawn's seahorse garden. Farewell 36g bowfront!

vlangel

teenyreef

Well it was a good thing I practiced with my new phone because the tablet went on strike! It is being serviced ATM. Thanks to teeny's helpful hint I have been able to answer my phone. I still have not text with it.

That's funny since I didn't really think you needed the help :)
  • Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:lol: When my Mom traded in her flip phone for an android, the thing she had the most trouble with was swiping right to answer incoming calls :)

That's funny since I didn't really think you needed the help :)

Ha ha, I wasn't kidding when I said I didn't know how to answer the droid, make calls or do texts. The only reason I could navigate the internet on it is because I have the Samsung Galaxy tablet which is also an android. I was almost ready to go back to the flip phone!

Orangutran

Ha ha, I wasn't kidding when I said I didn't know how to answer the droid, make calls or do texts. The only reason I could navigate the internet on it is because I have the Samsung Galaxy tablet which is also an android. I was almost ready to go back to the flip phone!

I am a converted android user! Let me know if you need help! ;)

Actually the cleaning went pretty fast because most everything was superficial dirt/algae. Basically I wiped down all the glass, stirred the sandbed and waved my hand at the rockwork to lift the detritus and called it good. It should be pic ready when everything clears!

I am a converted android user! Let me know if you need help! ;)

Thanks, I may just take you up on that if I don't figure everything out.

teenyreef

My seahorse tank is in desperate need of cleaning but other than that all is well!

I should just randomly post this every other day, chances are it would be accurate :lol:

I'm glad everything is going well!

I noticed that my kenya trees were getting white looking instead of pinkish brown. Although it was pretty I am wondering if they were not getting enough food. We had company all weekend so I missed a water change and yesterday they started to turn their usual pink. I think I may cut down to 2 water changes a week instead of 3. That is a 26% or so per week instead of a 45%. A lot of seahorse keepers do 25% per week.

When I did a WC this morning I sucked debris/detritus out of the sump. I probably don't do that often enough. I had to tinker with the 302 SCA skimmer anyhow so while it was offline it was a good time to do that.

O yeah, in the midst of everything else I notice that the smart ATO was not working. :-( Actually it has been acting up for about a month now, beeping because the tank is above the high level mark. When I reached in the sump to clean the contacts I got an electrical tingle. That was all I needed, I pulled the whole unit offline. I will have to investigate it further but once I unplugged it I did not feel any more tingles.

Of course this is all happening when our motorcycle roadtrip to CA is less than a month away. Ha ha, at least we are not leaving tomorrow!

Orangutran

When I did a WC this morning I sucked debris/detritus out of the sump. I probably don't do that often enough. I had to tinker with the 302 SCA skimmer anyhow so while it was offline it was a good time to do that.

O yeah, in the midst of everything else I notice that the smart ATO was not working. :-( Actually it has been acting up for about a month now, beeping because the tank is above the high level mark. When I reached in the sump to clean the contacts I got an electrical tingle. That was all I needed, I pulled the whole unit offline. I will have to investigate it further but once I unplugged it I did not feel any more tingles.

Of course this is all happening when our motorcycle roadtrip to CA is less than a month away. Ha ha, at least we are not leaving tomorrow!

You've had bad luck with leaky equipment!! Should be enough time to get a new one. I use one of those that measure the water pressure in a tube? Don't know what it's called. Avast and Spectrapure makes them.

Your road trip sounds awesome!! I really miss them...

Yikes! That's scary. It's not that old, is it Dawn? I'd let them know and ask them to send you a replacement.

You've had bad luck with leaky equipment!! Should be enough time to get a new one. I use one of those that measure the water pressure in a tube? Don't know what it's called. Avast and Spectrapure makes them.

Your road trip sounds awesome!! I really miss them...

This is the 2nd time I have had stray current in the tank. The first time was because of the ground prong missing from the extension cord I was using, so that really was not an equipment problem.

Yes, I should be able to get something before I leave although the smart ATO is not very old. About a year and some months.

Yikes! That's scary. It's not that old, is it Dawn? I'd let them know and ask them to send you a replacement.

Now that I have been through this stray current thing before I am not messing with it. I just immediately unplugged it and took it offline.

No, its not very old. I got it for my birthday last year. That makes it a year and maybe 4 months, which is probably just long enough to be out of warranty. It doesn't hurt to enquire though.

20160517_194311_zpsepibv0ev.jpg

It never ceases to amaze me how crisp and polished the tank water looks after adding fresh carbon. I love that!

With the ATO offline at the moment, I broke out the Prizm pro HOB skimmer. I am using it on the display tank because the SCA 302 skimmer will not skim as efficiently with the sump 's evaporation changing the water level. If I can't replace the ATO before our motorcycle roadtrip, I may just run both skimmers while we are away.

These turkeys must have got the memo that this was a good place to hang. After I started to upload this video I saw the hen sit down in front of the tom. He stepped on her back and began to march in place. I realized eventually that he was doing more than giving her a back massage! Its too bad I didn't catch that on video.:-)

Orangutran

These turkeys must have got the memo that this was a good place to hang. After I started to upload this video I saw the hen sit down in front of the tom. He stepped on her back and began to march in place. I realized eventually that he was doing more than giving her a back massage! Its too bad I didn't catch that on video.:-)

Back massages always end up in happy endings... ;)

Nothing really new to report in the seahorse garden. The ponies seem happy and healthy.

Baby my clownfish got an upgrade however. When my ATO went on the fritz I took it offline. I decided to take the 10 gallon reservoir down too. My evaporation is really minimal so a smaller reservoir should be used so the water doesn't stagnate. Thats when I got the idea to give Baby a bigger home...the 10 gallon! It was a pretty easy transfer that only took an hour or so this morning.

No news is good news! But it cracks me up that you're repurposing an ATO reservoir into a fish tank :)

No news is good news! But it cracks me up that you're repurposing an ATO reservoir into a fish tank :)

I thought the same thing and thought how cool that is :)

I thought the same thing and thought how cool that is :)

Baby isn't exactly an open water swimmer but he does swim across the tank from time to time and this gives him more room. More water volume should be good too as far as tank stability goes. I had everything I need except a top for the tank. I left the water level down about an inch until I can make one and its partially covered by the old top. After reading about Dot I need to go to Home Depot today and get what I need though!

Baby isn't exactly an open water swimmer but he does swim across the tank from time to time and this gives him more room. More water volume should be good too as far as tank stability goes. I had everything I need except a top for the tank. I left the water level down about an inch until I can make one and its partially covered by the old top. After reading about Dot I need to go to Home Depot today and get what I need though!

Baby is going to love his new home!!!

I had some extra mesh so I laid that on the 12 and put some stuff on the ends of the tank to hold it down. It looks funny but now I'm paranoid so I need to get the frame for the mesh stat!

Archived