Coral Vue Hydros

Dawn's seahorse garden. Farewell 36g bowfront!

vlangel

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome! I Bet that's a relief!

Yes it is. Normal life is a good thing, ha ha!

Great vid- new scape looks good Happy ponies!!

Thanks Scott. I actually think Adam and Eve like the tank better now and its growing on me too.

20160420_104105_zpstgyzx4mm.jpg

Spring time in PA is so beautiful. May is my favorite month but the rebirth in April is great too.

20160420_103658_zpsl4jr06cn.jpg

I dug this pond by hand in '07 and although every year it is a lot of work I love it!

20160420_103716_zpsgtls7fwk.jpg

I try to make my garden a haven for birds and wildlife.

20160420_103933_zpsyhfz5uru.jpg

Ok, its a haven for Dave and I as well!

O yeah,ignore the soccer mom van in the first pic. I have talked my hubby into letting me trade it in on a pickup truck which is much more in keeping with my personality. Actually I wanted a jeep but that wasn't very practical.

Lovin the pond, should get some koi

I had some pearlscale koi the first 5 years along with 3 shubunkin goldfish. The koi got so big I exchanged them for credit at the lfs. Unfortunately last spring a blue heron found my pond and fished out the goldfish. Maybe in a few years if I dont see the heron return I will restock with goldfish.

I had some pearlscale koi the first 5 years along with 3 shubunkin goldfish. The koi got so big I exchanged them for credit at the lfs. Unfortunately last spring a blue heron found my pond and fished out the goldfish. Maybe in a few years if I dont see the heron return I will restock with goldfish.

Ah wow that sucks.

Ah wow that sucks.

It was a bummer for sure.

:wub: Love that LANDSCAPE! :wub: I'm Jelly :PB)

Thanks! I am an amatuer but I get the satisfaction of enjoying the fruit of my own labor, plus its cheaper this way. LOL

I took a video of the new scape. I show how far the rockwork is from the back wall, where the rios pumps are placed and I did not add music so you could hear the tank sounds. It is still not silent but all the flushing noise is gone and what is left is a constant trickle. I kind of enjoy it myself, (like a water feature)but I know its not for everyone.

God beautiful as always! It must have been tough free stacking that rock loaded up with corals without having the back wall for support.

Also double thumbs up on the "water feature" :D . That sound actually helps me focus a lot better.

God beautiful as always! It must have been tough free stacking that rock loaded up with corals without having the back wall for support.

Also double thumbs up on the "water feature" :D . That sound actually helps me focus a lot better.

It was easier stacking than you would think because I used 1 large, dense rock on the bottom on each side. Then I chose a lighter, more porous rock to stack on each side. So in all the pillars were only made of 2 rocks each. When I rescaped I removed only 1.

The tall rock structure on the right is also getting some support from the overflow box and at the same time the rock structure is de-emphasizing the obtrusiveness of the overflow box. A symbiotic relationship at its best!

Love the garden!!! One day... I will have a pond in my background, when the kids are older and can't fall in!

Its great on a summer evening to chill on the patio and listen to the water bubble down the stream bed and cascade into the lower pond.

The seahorse tank cleaned up nicely after taking a toothbrush and a turkey baster to it. I did a water change and when the dust settled everything looks pretty good.

I am really pleased with how robust and healthy the seahorses are ATM. They have very hearty appetites and loud, strong snicks. Maybe I have finally found the formula for the seahorse garden.

I am turkey basting the rock and corals twice a week now. Also I have been stirring the shallow sand bed twice a week or so too. Most of the cyano is gone but the sand still gets diatoms in the center of the tank. That is the lowest flow area.

I'm glad things are going so well! I've found regular turkey basting is very helpful especially in tanks that don't have high flow.

Love that pond! I'm jealous of your back yard :)

I am really pleased with how robust and healthy the seahorses are ATM. They have very hearty appetites and loud, strong snicks. Maybe I have finally found the formula for the seahorse garden.

I am turkey basting the rock and corals twice a week now. Also I have been stirring the shallow sand bed twice a week or so too. Most of the cyano is gone but the sand still gets diatoms in the center of the tank. That is the lowest flow area.

Great to hear. Gas leak, pond scum, warm weather, and healthy seahorses. :)

I'm glad things are going so well! I've found regular turkey basting is very helpful especially in tanks that don't have high flow.

Love that pond! I'm jealous of your back yard :)

Yes, I think I was under estimating how important that is in a seahorse tank, especially a seahorse tank that has rock and coral. Many seahorse keepers run tanks with bare bottom, artificial decor and the rock in the sump. That way they are the clean up crew and suck out debris once a day. Its probably just as much work but visually you can see quicker what needs cleaned.

Dave and I love our backyard too. We have 2 acres in a very suburban area where our neighbors have a fourth acre. We moved here 30 years ago this month because it had 2 fireplaces, 2 picture windows and that awesome backyard. We have deer, turkeys, rabbits, groundhogs, squirrels, skunks, hawks, woodpeckers and many other birds. Most of the time the wildlife is welcome unless it is eating my flowers or spraying our dog, ha ha!

RIP Sebastian

Yes, I think I was under estimating how important that is in a seahorse tank, especially a seahorse tank that has rock and coral. Many seahorse keepers run tanks with bare bottom, artificial decor and the rock in the sump. That way they are the clean up crew and suck out debris once a day. Its probably just as much work but visually you can see quicker what needs cleaned.

Dave and I love our backyard too. We have 2 acres in a very suburban area where our neighbors have a fourth acre. We moved here 30 years ago this month because it had 2 fireplaces, 2 picture windows and that awesome backyard. We have deer, turkeys, rabbits, groundhogs, squirrels, skunks, hawks, woodpeckers and many other birds. Most of the time the wildlife is welcome unless it is eating my flowers or spraying our dog, ha ha!

My parents moved here 18 years ago, which was before Westinghouse came. There was nothing here. Have you gotten possums before? I have.

Good good good! Any more thought into putting a power head on a timer for periodic blasts?

I am still thinking about it Ben. It is definitely the best way to go as long as the pump isn't so strong that it catches a pony by surprise and blows it off a hitch or into something. The other reason I haven't just bought something is financial. We are a few years from retirement and need to curb our spending to prepare. Maybe I will ask for that for Christmas.

Great to hear. Gas leak, pond scum, warm weather, and healthy seahorses. :)

Yes, warm weather and healthy seahorses is welcome news indeed. The gas leak and pond scum not so much! Ha ha!

My parents moved here 18 years ago, which was before Westinghouse came. There was nothing here. Have you gotten possums before? I have.

I have seen them on our road years ago but have never seen one on the property. There must not be many of them around here.

Your garden is gorgeous :wub:. Looks so professional!!!!!

Thanks Gena, I do my best!

Looks like photobucket is messed up again? Anyone else having trouble?

2016-04-25%2020.25.18_zpshfbxnluj.jpg

As you can see Adam is lookin' fat and sassy. Abraham had to make an appearance too. He has gotten much bolder these days.

2016-04-25%2020.26.53_zpsjhr4ed5a.jpg

The ponies hangin' out together. They love each other.

20160425_201755_zpsgqnwatyb.jpg

This FTS was taken from a lower vantage point. I should always take it from there.

Archived