Innovative Marine Aquariums

Dawn's seahorse garden. Farewell 36g bowfront!

vlangel

GAHH i love road trips! California isn't really a vacation for me... I live there :P lol but I hope you have a great time here!

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm so behind! So much awesome stuff going on in here! The seahorse tank is looking great and the seahorses look so happy and healthy. I love how crisp and clean that last FTS looked. Wow!

That was a fast upgrade for Baby! You're like me, you make the decision and then just do it fast. Why wait right? That looks like a great size tank for Baby. I'm sure he's thrilled with having more swimming space.

Retirement and vacation! How exciting! I'm sure that involves a lot of planning and logistics, but that's so wonderful! I hope you have a great vacation!

Don't feel bad about being behind, Drs are busy people, don't ya know! Actually I am also behind on everyone's threads, LOL and I don't have any titles in front of my name.

I am thrilled to give Baby an upgrade and the tank is starting to stay cleaner. It may be a little while before I get some of the stray algae totally under control.

Yes, the seahorses are pretty good but I always worry about a trip. My sister will probably do 2 WCs while we are gone. Hopefully with both protein skimmers going the ponies will be fine.

Yes, after looking into it retirement is not quite as close as we first thought but its nice to be able to have 7-8 years to make some choices to hopefully sweeten our retirement. If Dave's company begins to do things that absolutely drive him nuts he can just retire and we will make it work somehow. We will be ok.

This morning I went to cycle gear because I could not get our new communicators to talk to each other. It was a quick fix. The last few big trips we have not had communicators so this is going to be awesome. They are boomless also and work by the vibrations in our jaw. There are almost no wires. Our last communicators had wires everywhere and when you got off the bike you had to disconnect. Now everthing is in the helmet which is so cool.

Its going to be an epic trip and we are getting pretty stoked for it! I will post some pics when we get home.

GAHH i love road trips! California isn't really a vacation for me... I live there :P lol but I hope you have a great time here!

Ha ha, maybe you need to visit Pennsylvania! Thanks, we will have a great time.

20160606_152055_zpsb4ngzyko.jpg

My patio garden has needed lots of work too! The seahorses don't monopolize all my time.

You're HIRED! Come to Cape Coral FloriDuh! And help "Scape" our Yard!!! :wub::PB)omgomgomg:rant::owned::eek:

Wow! Your garden is stunning! I love plants and gardening, but I don't have a big yard so I just have container plants on the front walkway to my apartment. That area is part shade, so I get limited on what I can grow. I'd love to have a yard like yours! That pond is beautiful!

Sorry to hear retirement is farther off than you thought, but at least its still not too far away. Time flies! I missed where you're headed on vacation? Somewhere in California? Are you headed to the San Francisco area again? I'm also planning to leave my tank for a long trip and I am definitely stressed. I'll be leaving mine for 3 weeks, which will be the longest I've ever left a tank by a week. Also, my usual tank sitter is out of town for half of my trip, so I've got two different people watching it. I've also never had a tank sitter do a water change, but I'm going to have my friend do a water change halfway through this time. Fingers crossed for both of us!!!

That garden is stunning!

Thanks Newstead. I have had 30 years to perfect it. Some years are better than others depending on the weather and the deer's palates that year. I love seeing them in my yard but I get so mad when they eat everything, LOL.

You're HIRED! Come to Cape Coral FloriDuh! And help "Scape" our Yard!!! :wub::PB)omgomgomg:rant::owned::eek:

I don't think my type of garden would fare well in FL. I dug that pond by hand in 2007 but I am not sure that I still have that much spunk left in me either. Still, thank you for flattering my garden. I do love it.

Wow! Your garden is stunning! I love plants and gardening, but I don't have a big yard so I just have container plants on the front walkway to my apartment. That area is part shade, so I get limited on what I can grow. I'd love to have a yard like yours! That pond is beautiful!

Sorry to hear retirement is farther off than you thought, but at least its still not too far away. Time flies! I missed where you're headed on vacation? Somewhere in California? Are you headed to the San Francisco area again? I'm also planning to leave my tank for a long trip and I am definitely stressed. I'll be leaving mine for 3 weeks, which will be the longest I've ever left a tank by a week. Also, my usual tank sitter is out of town for half of my trip, so I've got two different people watching it. I've also never had a tank sitter do a water change, but I'm going to have my friend do a water change halfway through this time. Fingers crossed for both of us!!!

Thanks Felicia for the kind words about my garden. This is a very good year. We have had enough sun, and rain and the deer don't seem to like this year's flower selection of snap dragons and dusty miller. The garden with its perrenials is probably going to peak just after we leave. O well, what can ya do?

When Dave and I were house shopping a nice back yard, (1+ acres) was non negotiable. We ended up with 2+ acres which was great. We met working on a farm in high school so we are pretty good with plants.

O my, 3 weeks is a long time. I decided a while back not to be a slave to my tank so I prepare the best I can and I leave accepting whatever happens. I make up saltwater in a brute can with a rio pump so my sister does not have to make water for a WC. That negates the worry of the water not being the right salinity. I also pre-package all the food so that the tank can not be overfed. And of course I post step by step instructions. My sister actually had saltwater and even seahorses for a short time in the late 80s and early 90s so that eases my mind a lot. I don' t worry about her as much as the equipment failing.

We are riding our motorcycles out to Eureka, CA. We leave Saturday the 11th and we need to meet our son, daughter in law and grandson the 15th so we will be hoofing it. They will be 500 mile days. We have done that before but not day after day so I hope we are up to the challenge, ha ha! We chose this time of year to have the longest days possible. Also our anniversary is June 20th and we will be in Yellowstone then, which is cool.

My patio garden has needed lots of work too! The seahorses don't monopolize all my time.

Ahhhhhh, this is so beautiful :wub:

Please come to my house and help me make one just like it! :flower:

I know it's at the other end of the country from your vacation, so you need to plan an east coast vacation too. :D

Sorry teeny, I was still in my 40s when I dug that pond (by hand)and it took me weeks. Now almost 10 years later, I don't think I have enough lifetime left for a project like that anymore and I know I don't have enough spunk!

And may I say your idea of a vacation and mine vary vastly, LOL!

Ahhhhhh, this is so beautiful :wub:

Please come to my house and help me make one just like it! :flower:

I know it's at the other end of the country from your vacation, so you need to plan an east coast vacation too. :D

Hmmm, as I read your post a little closer you have not actually asked me to do it, just to help. That means I would just be a supervisor and I could do that. I like to give orders. Get you shovel and digging bar ready!

Sorry Teeny, I have Dibs ;) I asked Vlangel 1st :D

Vlangel! U won't have to dig a Pond for me ;) Just need ya to come by and offer advice and Ideas ;)

Did I mention we have an in-ground pool?

I decided a while back not to be a slave to my tank so I prepare the best I can and I leave accepting whatever happens. I make up saltwater in a brute can with a rio pump so my sister does not have to make water for a WC. That negates the worry of the water not being the right salinity. I also pre-package all the food so that the tank can not be overfed. And of course I post step by step instructions.

Also our anniversary is June 20th and we will be in Yellowstone then, which is cool.

Great ideas for tank sitters - hadn't thought of prepackaging food, but will do that for my dil when we are in Europe next month!

Congrats on the anniversary - we just celebrated our 38th last week. If you have never been, be sure to plan at least a day in the Grand Tetons just south of Yellowstone - we absolutely love it. Magnificent views and wildlife (spend some time at Blacktail Pond overlook - usually moose in the willow flats!).

Hey congrats on 38 years! You are a few ahead of us, this is 35 for us. I wanted to see the Grand Tetons but we just don't have time. Even Yellowstone we are only driving through and getting a flavor of it. Hopefully we will come that way again and do it at a more leisurely pace. Thanks so much for the tip, I will definitely remember that for future reference.

PS Have fun on your European vacation too!

Sorry Teeny, I have Dibs ;) I asked Vlangel 1st :D

Vlangel! U won't have to dig a Pond for me ;) Just need ya to come by and offer advice and Ideas ;)

Did I mention we have an in-ground pool?

An inground pool sounds tempting and you did ask 1st. Your Florida weather would be great also since it is only about 61° here today with a very cool (cold) breeze.

Ha ha, no one has ever competed for my expertise before! With all the competition I fear there will be so much expectation and now I am feeling the pressure! Me thinks I will just have to say 'no can do' to everyone because I am beginning to crack under pressure. LOL!

THIS IS AMAZING, DAWN! Yep, this deserves all caps.

An inground pool sounds tempting and you did ask 1st. Your Florida weather would be great also since it is only about 61° here today with a very cool (cold) breeze.

Ha ha, no one has ever competed for my expertise before! With all the competition I fear there will be so much expectation and now I am feeling the pressure! Me thinks I will just have to say 'no can do' to everyone because I am beginning to crack under pressure. LOL!

Nice :) No need to "Crack". As Stells said above..."AMAZING" It really is AMAZING :)

THIS IS AMAZING, DAWN! Yep, this deserves all caps.

Thanks stella. When life stresses Dave and I out we sit on the patio and listen to the stream bed trickle in pond and decompress. Its our little slice of paradise.

Nice :) No need to "Crack". As Stells said above..."AMAZING" It really is AMAZING :)

Thanks again for such kind words Astinus and it is fun teasing with you, ha ha!.

It is so sweet of everyone to be so kind.

Thanks Felicia for the kind words about my garden. This is a very good year. We have had enough sun, and rain and the deer don't seem to like this year's flower selection of snap dragons and dusty miller. The garden with its perrenials is probably going to peak just after we leave. O well, what can ya do?

When Dave and I were house shopping a nice back yard, (1+ acres) was non negotiable. We ended up with 2+ acres which was great. We met working on a farm in high school so we are pretty good with plants.

O my, 3 weeks is a long time. I decided a while back not to be a slave to my tank so I prepare the best I can and I leave accepting whatever happens. I make up saltwater in a brute can with a rio pump so my sister does not have to make water for a WC. That negates the worry of the water not being the right salinity. I also pre-package all the food so that the tank can not be overfed. And of course I post step by step instructions. My sister actually had saltwater and even seahorses for a short time in the late 80s and early 90s so that eases my mind a lot. I don' t worry about her as much as the equipment failing.

We are riding our motorcycles out to Eureka, CA. We leave Saturday the 11th and we need to meet our son, daughter in law and grandson the 15th so we will be hoofing it. They will be 500 mile days. We have done that before but not day after day so I hope we are up to the challenge, ha ha! We chose this time of year to have the longest days possible. Also our anniversary is June 20th and we will be in Yellowstone then, which is cool.

Sounds like everything really came together this year for your garden! Its beautiful! I wish I could have a big yard, but I'm in an apartment and being in an urban area, its hard to find a place with much of a yard. Our apartment building does have a small backyard, which is cute so I do have a meyer lemon tree in a pot out there. I'm also growing container strawberries right now. At least I can do some gardening!

Yep 3 weeks is a long time, but I also swore I wouldn't be a slave to my tank. That was part of my decision to take down the seahorse tank. The predator fish are at least much easier to leave when I got out of town. I've got two different people splitting the tank sitting and both of them are experienced reef keepers. With the predators, I just have them stop by once every 3rd day to feed and top off the freshwater ATO reservoir. This will be the first time I need to have someone do a water change though! I'm going to have one of the guys do a water change halfway through my trip. Leaving correctly portioned food is a good idea and is definitely what I'm planning on doing! I'm also not too worried since my tank sitters know reef tanks. Its more just worrying about something failing on a day they aren't checking on the tank or something. I'm sure both of our tanks will do just fine! :)

Wow! That is a long ride! You guys are hardcore! I'm sure it will be fun though. Yellowstone is gorgeous. I bet driving through there on a motorcycle is just amazing! I actually haven't been up to the Eureka area, but I here its gorgeous. I need to get up there are some point! I hope you have a great drive and a good time with your son and his family!

Teasing? Who the hell is Teasing? Ur all serious n chit ;)

LOL, you are too funny!

I've always wanted to visit the east coast (especially, Pennsylvania,Georgia and NY)! Hopefully I can one day ;)

Well, if you ever come near the Pittsburgh, PA area we have nice guest accommodations and we like to spoil our guests a little. We would love to host you!

Sounds like everything really came together this year for your garden! Its beautiful! I wish I could have a big yard, but I'm in an apartment and being in an urban area, its hard to find a place with much of a yard. Our apartment building does have a small backyard, which is cute so I do have a meyer lemon tree in a pot out there. I'm also growing container strawberries right now. At least I can do some gardening!

Yep 3 weeks is a long time, but I also swore I wouldn't be a slave to my tank. That was part of my decision to take down the seahorse tank. The predator fish are at least much easier to leave when I got out of town. I've got two different people splitting the tank sitting and both of them are experienced reef keepers. With the predators, I just have them stop by once every 3rd day to feed and top off the freshwater ATO reservoir. This will be the first time I need to have someone do a water change though! I'm going to have one of the guys do a water change halfway through my trip. Leaving correctly portioned food is a good idea and is definitely what I'm planning on doing! I'm also not too worried since my tank sitters know reef tanks. Its more just worrying about something failing on a day they aren't checking on the tank or something. I'm sure both of our tanks will do just fine! :)

Wow! That is a long ride! You guys are hardcore! I'm sure it will be fun though. Yellowstone is gorgeous. I bet driving through there on a motorcycle is just amazing! I actually haven't been up to the Eureka area, but I here its gorgeous. I need to get up there are some point! I hope you have a great drive and a good time with your son and his family!

I have a battery back on both tanks just in case the electric goes off. I also have my powerheads on a separate circuit from the return pump. That way if one circuit trips the ponies are still aerated. Actually my powerheads are on 2 separate circuits so the chances of all 3 circuits tripping is about nil but then the battery back up would kick on. Its not high tech but its effective redundancy. The only piece of equipment that I could visualize crashing the tank would be the chiller, but its only a year old so it should be ok.

We are kind of hard core. I don't know many bikers that ride the kind of miles that we do. It is amazing though. You experience the country, not just see it. Iowa smells like corn and Kansas smells like ranches. You can breathe in salt spray or taste dust. It is very cool.

We are hoping that interstate 80 keeps us from high switch backs. Dave learned last year that he does not like those, LOL. And of course its a bonus seeing our kids! It will be epic!

Archived