Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Dawn's seahorse garden. Farewell 36g bowfront!

vlangel

RIP Sebastian

Well I made a decision today and I hope it wasn't a bad one. I took down Baby's aBode and moved Baby, his goby roommates and the sand from his tank into the seahorse garden. I did it for a couple of reasons, but the main being MTS. I just never like having more than 1 tank. I worried about putting Baby in with the seahorses since clowns are not recommended. However Baby is a captive bred clown and they tend to be more layed back than wild caught. Baby is very easy going if not a bit shy so I decided to take the risk. I am going to kick myself if I have to tear the tank apart to catch him again!

Good luck!

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome video! Has a great beat :). Baby looks good in there.

Thanks Gena. LOL, I pick the music by how long the video is and which youtube tune fits.

Now here's to hoping Baby acts as good as he looks.

Baby is being very gentleman like in his new home. KB on the other hand is being a pill. He comes out of his cave with his mouth wide open at Baby. Fortunately Baby just ignores him so there is no chasing or harassing going on. They used to be together so I feel pretty confident that they will work things out.

The cyano is much improved and I think I am winning the battle. Adding the sand from Baby's aBode probably helped with bio-diversity after all the syphoning I had been doing in the seahorse tank. The sandbed was getting depleted too. I use a turkey baster and suck up any patches of cyano and squirt it into 2 nets. I use a fine net with a less fine net inside the fine net to trap the debris. The nets are over a container so I can put the water back in the tank. Anyway that is working great.

Bad news, Adam has been in QT 3 days for gas bubble disease. Its not looking good :-(. He has not eatten and treatment is having no effect.

Sadly I am wondering if me adding the sand from Baby's aBode is what caused it? GBD is thought to be a result of too many organics in the water and the skimmer has been pulling out a lot of sludge. Male seahorses are more vulnerable than females. I am keeping up with my water changes and would do extra except Adam's treatment requires 5 gallon every day. I am hoping for the best but preparing for the worst.

Bad news, Adam has been in QT 3 days for gas bubble disease. Its not looking good :-(. He has not eatten and treatment is having no effect.

Sadly I am wondering if me adding the sand from Baby's aBode is what caused it? GBD is thought to be a result of too many organics in the water and the skimmer has been pulling out a lot of sludge. Male seahorses are more vulnerable than females. I am keeping up with my water changes and would do extra except Adam's treatment requires 5 gallon every day. I am hoping for the best but preparing for the worst.

OUCH!!!! Sending happy Seahorse Thoughts!

Damn, V! I know ur a good Mom...This sounds more serious though...I do hope Adam pulls thru!

OUCH!!!! Sending happy Seahorse Thoughts!

Damn, V! I know ur a good Mom...This sounds more serious though...I do hope Adam pulls thru!

Oh no Dawn, so sorry to hear this. Hoping for the best!

Thanks guys, I feel so bad knowing that I may have caused this. I should have known better. I am slowly learning with seahorses, if you think it can happen, it probably will happen. I am happy to say that Eve does not seem effected at at. She is normal in every way and barely even seems like she is missing Adam which is kind of sad.

Hope Adam pulls thru. Don't be so hard on yourself, everything we do in reefing, is with good intentions. Fingers crossed.

+1 Worth repeating. Try not to be hard on ur self!

U have Helped Shar and I in our beginnings. U DO know ur stuff! Period!

Don't 2nd guess.

Hope Adam pulls thru. Don't be so hard on yourself, everything we do in reefing, is with good intentions. Fingers crossed.

Poor Adam, I hope he recovers :(

:(

+1 Worth repeating. Try not to be hard on ur self!

U have Helped Shar and I in our beginnings. U DO know ur stuff! Period!

Don't 2nd guess.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I appreciate all the kind words and thoughts.

Most folks who really know seahorses do not believe that antibiotic treatment helps GBD but there are some keepers who swear by it so tonight as a last ditch effort I am trying antibiotics. What do I have to lose since Adam has had no change at all to the standard treatment for GBD. I also finally broke down and bought clove oil in case it comes to that.

My coral are doing very well. They have better color than normal and most of them are fluffy and puffy. I guess conditions that are optimum for the coral are not for the seahorses.

Oh no dawn!!! I'm so sorry to hear about Adam! Sending lots of good energy his way.

I know Rachel, I am so sad but we will see what tomorrow brings.

Well I am very sad to report that Adam didn't pull through. His condition worsened this weekend and so tonight I chose to end his struggle. I hope I never have to do that again.

Archived