Cultivated Reef

Dawn's seahorse garden. Farewell 36g bowfront!

vlangel

Elizabeth94

I have no idea how the upkeep would be of a spray bar in salt water, but I had one in my big freshwater tank so that my angelfish wouldn't get blown around from my canister filter. I am assuming seahorses don't do well in high flow reef tanks like sps tanks. So I think a spray bar in the back would gently push the nasties up front.

It would probably work well. If it doesn't, it would be easy enough to remove anyway. I am sure you probably have some sort of pump sitting around and you would just need PVC, a drill, and some tubing.

Thanks for the website, I think I would enjoy an online course like that.

I totally considered that when I first began my build and maybe a spray bar needs another look? That is a good suggestion.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All of these ideas sound reasonable. I am so stumped on this one, Dawn! I wish it was simpler to just figure out the root cause of the issue, so you know which plan to try.

All of these ideas sound reasonable. I am so stumped on this one, Dawn! I wish it was simpler to just figure out the root cause of the issue, so you know which plan to try.

I have decided to take a conservative approach to making changes.

1. I think I am going to remove the top rock structure on the left side but leave the large, dense rock that is the foundational piece now where it is at. That way I still have the denitrification from that rock (it is the largest most dense rock I have). That will lower the whole structure significantly making husbandry much more accessible but not impact the biological function of the tank much. I will have a few coral/macros to relocate but nothing too drastic so the ponies should not feel too displaced either. Actually some open water may aid in their courtship dances.

2. I plan to incorporate either a spraybar or intermittent powerheads. No doubt a spray bar is the most economical option. It might even be the most suited for seahorses so a pony is not caught by surprise and shot across the tank from an intermittent pump kicking on. I should have enough flow in the tank to remove detritus once lifted into the water column.

3. Finally get a few more trochus snails.

I will have water ready for a significant water change to offset releasing any nasties while making any changes. I feel like I have a plan.

I like this plan! I think staying conservative and just starting with some small changes is definitely best. How is Adam today, btw?

I have no idea how the upkeep would be of a spray bar in salt water, but I had one in my big freshwater tank so that my angelfish wouldn't get blown around from my canister filter. I am assuming seahorses don't do well in high flow reef tanks like sps tanks. So I think a spray bar in the back would gently push the nasties up front.

It would probably work well. If it doesn't, it would be easy enough to remove anyway. I am sure you probably have some sort of pump sitting around and you would just need PVC, a drill, and some tubing.

Thanks for the website, I think I would enjoy an online course like that.

You are welcome. I enjoyed the course a lot so I think you would too.

I like this plan! I think staying conservative and just starting with some small changes is definitely best. How is Adam today, btw?

He ate like a champ. Right now he is trying to impress Eve. Maybe his mark is even fainter.

When I make a decision regarding my tank I generally act pretty fast. Step 1. to my improve the tank for my ponies' sake happened today. I removed the top rock structure on the left side of tank. I doubt there will be much biological change but there is now more access to the back of the tank for husbandry and maintenance. Actually the overall looks of the tank is not dramatically different since I moved the tall gorgonian behind the rock to create height. It is less cluttered over all but still not what I would describe as minimalist.

20160411_171402_zpsy9p9asbf.jpg

What do you all think? It is still cloudy from being stirred up and of course the coral need to recover from the abuse but you get the idea.

I like.

Do you like it ok or better than before? When I look at it in person I like it better than before but when I look at the pic in the above post, I don't like it as well because it looks lopped-sided.

much good. very like.

Really Ben, you seem like you like it better than before?

jedimasterben

Do you like it ok or better than before? When I look at it in person I like it better than before but when I look at the pic in the above post, I don't like it as well because it looks lopped-sided.

Really Ben, you seem like you like it better than before?

Nah, it looks fine to me. Too much symmetry can be a bad thing :) I am preferring lower scapes now, they give a lot of room above them for fish to fly around on and plenty of vertical space for gorgonians and fun wavy stuffs :)

Nah, it looks fine to me. Too much symmetry can be a bad thing :) I am preferring lower scapes now, they give a lot of room above them for fish to fly around on and plenty of vertical space for gorgonians and fun wavy stuffs :)

Ok thanks, that is a good thought. Seahorses don't do much flying around but they do like some open water for their courtship. I also kind of like some asymmetrical elements to the scape to keep it interesting. I guess I just looked at it the other way too long to be objective.

What Ben said. Asymmetry and negative space are good.

I like the new scape, Dawn! it really makes the gorgonians stand out.

I think it still looks perfect :).

You all are too nice! I think I like it too and I know I am gonna love cleaning it. LOL

I'm sure you're not sure about it because its always weird to look at a new scape when you were so used to how it looked. Its like when you change up your hair cut and you can't decide if you like it just because its just such a change. You have to get used to it.

Personally, I think I really like this new scape! As Ben mentioned, the asymmetry of it is nice and looks even more natural. I like having it feel a bit more open too. Almost seems like the tank got bigger and less cramped. I think having the rocks actually go up so high on both sides might have been a bit heavy/overcrowded feeling. I like having one side high and one side lower like this!

I'm sure you're not sure about it because its always weird to look at a new scape when you were so used to how it looked. Its like when you change up your hair cut and you can't decide if you like it just because its just such a change. You have to get used to it.

Personally, I think I really like this new scape! As Ben mentioned, the asymmetry of it is nice and looks even more natural. I like having it feel a bit more open too. Almost seems like the tank got bigger and less cramped. I think having the rocks actually go up so high on both sides might have been a bit heavy/overcrowded feeling. I like having one side high and one side lower like this!

The change of the scape is no doubt why I am feeling, "do I love this new scape or do I hate it?". Typically I am someone who leans toward asymmetry but I am also someone when I settle on what I like I don't change it. My livingroom furniture has been the same for 20 years!

I also like the open uncluttered feeling. The tank definitely has a cleaner appearance. The flow from the powerheads now has created a stronger current in some places since there is less resistance. I found poor Eve hanging upside down and pinned because she could not right herself against the current. I will have to keep a close eye on the ponies to make sure I have not created any dangerous situations for them. Right now I am only running 2 powerheads but I will have to play around with the flow and I am still pondering a spraybar along the bottom of the back wall. What I don't want to do is clutter up the tank with powerheads and I don't have as many hiding places now.

20160402_090056_zpsapgflrdj.jpg

This is totally off topic, but VL (thats my pet name for my bike) is sold. Its bittersweet as Dave bought this for me when he found out he had cancer. He searched all over Pittsburgh to get me my dream bike and she has been that for sure. She has over 66K miles that I thoroughly enjoyed putting on her. Her new owner doesn't have his license yet so I had to ride her in 34° for an hour and 45 minutes to deliver her. Brrrrr! I hope he takes good care of her.

Sweet Ride! Should I be sorry u had to let "her" go?

I Do hope her new owner treats and loves her as much as u do/did.

Sweet Ride! Should I be sorry u had to let "her" go?

I Do hope her new owner treats and loves her as much as u do/did.

She was a sweet ride and I loved her so much I bought basically the same exact bike but newer with low mileage in red and black. (Its funny because I told Dave my dream bike would be red and black. He found one in the basement of a dealer and when we went to see it, VL was right next to it. I decided I liked the teal and silver better and bought it instead, ha ha! Now I am ready for red and black again) I moved all my accessories on to my new bike and I knew without a windshield I would never ride the old bike. Bikes need to be rode to stay happy and running well. For that reason selling her is the right move. There would be nothing sadder than her deteriorating and stop running well. Plus the $ I got is a nice bonus.

PS She has been in 40 states. Thats quite a resume'.

I tweaked the scape a bit and like it even better. The water clarity is really clean, it almost sparkles. The ponies seem settled in and the coral does too.

Archived