Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Brad's Rimless. NanoBox Hybrid. MAME. Synergy. Aquarium

brad908

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really? Even direct sunlight needs 8 hours? Thought it would be much more powerful than a LED light on for 8 hours.

Depends on how intense the exposure is, thats why a lot of people don't like natural because on a bright day you're getting way more exposure than a cloudy one. May or may not lead to algae issues before the tank gets nice and mature and you got your feeding figured out. I love this tank.

Really? Even direct sunlight needs 8 hours? Thought it would be much more powerful than a LED light on for 8 hours.

its more what is natural to them

Find out in 3 weeks how much sun the livingroom will get. Can't remember which way the windows face.

I can't wait to move just so I can start getting these new project ideas out of my head, wheels have been turning like crazy.

I am going to do a goldfish pond in a water trough. Like these, but with a small waterfall.

Stock%20tank%20pond.JPG

Pond%20with%20fish.JPG

watertrough.jpg

Thanks for helping me out guys. Brad, don't mean to clog up your thread. It's 2 inches on the inner, and 4 inches at its widest. The rim is 18mm on the tank. What I was thinking is just drilling a hole in the rim for that nipple to fall into. That way I could run it in the corner. Would the rest of the Mame slide over the rim? That way I just drill a hole for the elbow. That 90 is just there to help it hang on the tank right?

The 2 pipes that go into the tank are 1 and 3/4" wide so if you drilled a hole for the 90* elbow to go into it, it would probably work nicely.

Find out in 3 weeks how much sun the livingroom will get. Can't remember which way the windows face.

I can't wait to move just so I can start getting these new project ideas out of my head, wheels have been turning like crazy.

I am going to do a goldfish pond in a water trough. Like these, but with a small waterfall.

Stock%20tank%20pond.JPG

Pond%20with%20fish.JPG

watertrough.jpg

thats awesome, have you seen the above ground liners set into a wooden frame? I think those look crazy nice aswell and you could probably get a bigger footprint without the added cost.

The 2 pipes that go into the tank are 1 and 3/4" wide so if you drilled a hole for the 90* elbow to go into it, it would probably work nicely.

thats awesome, have you seen the above ground liners set into a wooden frame? I think those look crazy nice aswell and you could probably get a bigger footprint without the added cost.

Yeah, but going with the whole metal/wood theme so think these will look nice. A 2x4x2' 100 gallon trough is only $89

Yeah, but going with the whole metal/wood theme so think these will look nice. A 2x4x2' 100 gallon trough is only $89

I really want to do an indoor pond but having kids really kills that thought lol. My 2 yr old likes water so much he will run up to a puddle and dip his hair in it...

I really want to do an indoor pond but having kids really kills that thought lol. My 2 yr old likes water so much he will run up to a puddle and dip his hair in it...

When I was 1 we had a 20,000 gallon koi pond in our new house with over 50 koi in. My mum and dad asked to have it removed and I don't remember it :(

Depends on how intense the exposure is, thats why a lot of people don't like natural because on a bright day you're getting way more exposure than a cloudy one. May or may not lead to algae issues before the tank gets nice and mature and you got your feeding figured out. I love this tank.

This is an amazing tank and even more amazing story. A good read if you are ever on R2r. If I remember correctly, he uses different types of mesh to filter out some of the light and certain wavelengths of light at different times of the year.

This is an amazing tank and even more amazing story. A good read if you are ever on R2r. If I remember correctly, he uses different types of mesh to filter out some of the light and certain wavelengths of light at different times of the year.

I read some of it a while back, sad as well as his wife passed. It's probably my favorite build of all time though, and I have followed a lot of them.

I read some of it a while back, sad as well as his wife passed. It's probably my favorite build of all time though, and I have followed a lot of them.

It was a pretty touching story, I must say. The day I read it turned out to be the 1 year anniversary of his wife passing and I read from the start to finish. Amazing couple, amazing man, and amazing tank!

jedimasterben

Any guesses on how many hours of direct sunlight will be enough to support this tank?

Depends on the intensity you get at the angle the sun would be at. I live in Florida, and when the sun is directly overhead I get a reading of around 2400 PAR on a clear day. I go inside my house to the front window and even keeping the PAR meter angled directly out the window I only get a reading of around 20. Without light coming in from overhead (even if the sun itself doesn't pass directly overhead), I don't think you're going to have great results without artificial lighting.

Depends on the intensity you get at the angle the sun would be at. I live in Florida, and when the sun is directly overhead I get a reading of around 2400 PAR on a clear day. I go inside my house to the front window and even keeping the PAR meter angled directly out the window I only get a reading of around 20. Without light coming in from overhead (even if the sun itself doesn't pass directly overhead), I don't think you're going to have great results without artificial lighting.

Time to cut holes in the roof and put those tube lights in! srsly, i need a ranch style house.

jedimasterben

Time to cut holes in the roof and put those tube lights in! srsly, i need a ranch style house.

I've been tempted, especially since my dad is a contractor and builder. He has installed solar tubes several times, says that it couldn't be simpler.

Probably not a good idea, though, since I'm not planning on staying in the house I'm in lol

I've been tempted, especially since my dad is a contractor and builder. He has installed solar tubes several times, says that it couldn't be simpler.

Probably not a good idea, though, since I'm not planning on staying in the house I'm in lol

yeh, that is my same logic for not drilling a holes in my living room floor and having a basement sump.

yeh, that is my same logic for not drilling a holes in my living room floor and having a basement sump.

Build your whole house around the tank

jedimasterben

First stuff I had was super thin and delicate. Then went back and got the thick stuff

Fresh91C5CC04-7CEB-482E-93BE-C256B6FF4539_zpsFrost 5B2D3897-6444-4410-8151-CA8DA85FCFC6_zps

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Artscape-36-in-x-72-in-Etched-Glass-Decorative-Window-Film-01-0122/100616371

this is the stuff i used, i managed to get it on nicely without moving my tank which is pretty tight to the wall.

Yeah that's what I ended up with

I applied the same stuff yesterday, and holy crap it was hard since I have ~3.5" behind my tank to work with. Looks decent so far for mine, I got all the bubbles out but it almost looks like there is water still left in it in some places.

jedimasterben

It wouldn't be nearly as difficult if the tank were able to be moved out more or if the tank was empty and I could set it on its front, that would have made it WORLDS easier.

I originally bought some thin window frost, and it was brutal to put on, even with the tank empty.

The stuff Hey recommended is pretty thick and was super simple. Think I am going to put some on the sump when I take the tank down to move.

They had mirrored film too, wonder how crazy that would look lol

jedimasterben

The stuff Hey recommended is pretty thick and was super simple. Think I am going to put some on the sump when I take the tank down to move.

It wasn't necessarily that it was hard to apply, just hard to apply to my tank where I have it lol

They had mirrored film too, wonder how crazy that would look lol

That would be nuts!

It wasn't necessarily that it was hard to apply, just hard to apply to my tank where I have it lol

That would be nuts!

I had my wife help me install mine lol, and mirrored stuff would make my female clown even more nuts than she already is, she attacks her reflection at the top of the tank regularly.

Archived