Cultivated Reef

Brad's Rimless. NanoBox Hybrid. MAME. Synergy. Aquarium

brad908

Is the giant plate from Aquatic Collection? They've been getting those in lately and charging really reasonable prices. Super awesome piece!

Yup, only $45

Tank looks great, although the ADA store has way nicer planted tanks.

Idk, I haven't been to the Ada store in a while, but the big planted tank at Neptune is pretty impressive.

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Manbearfish

I love this tank, the dimensions are really interesting, it looks super clean. Rustoleum makes a frosted glass spray, some people use it in the custom computer hobby, if you can remove the film and tape everything off you could probably get a nice even coat with it.

jedimasterben

I love this tank, the dimensions are really interesting, it looks super clean. Rustoleum makes a frosted glass spray, some people use it in the custom computer hobby, if you can remove the film and tape everything off you could probably get a nice even coat with it.

That stuff is really, really, really difficult to put on glass. It occasionally 'sputters', no matter how well-shaken, and causes little drip marks on the glass that look terrible. :(

How is the mame overflow doing??? how do you like it so far??

I'm thinking about picking one up for my future tank.

It's good. Haven't had any issues and it is silent.

Yo brad. On the topic of the Mame, how do you clean yours? I've realized that I literally can't take mine apart....it's like stuck together.

Yo brad. On the topic of the Mame, how do you clean yours? I've realized that I literally can't take mine apart....it's like stuck together.

I just cleaned mine for the first time lol. I only cleaned the pieces inside the tank, they slid right off. My idea would have been a blow dryer if they didn't pull right off.

+1 to what brad said to get it off the aquarium. to get all the pieces apart individually put it in very hot water then pull it apart.

I just cleaned mine for the first time lol. I only cleaned the pieces inside the tank, they slid right off. My idea would have been a blow dryer if they didn't pull right off.

+1 to what brad said to get it off the aquarium. to get all the pieces apart individually put it in very hot water then pull it apart.

Thanks guys. I must be a dipshit because I tried pulling mine apart after running it under hot water & chipped one of the pieces in the process of doing so. Thank god the chip is only cosmetic....

Plate fully open. The cardinals just hang out in the back corner. Clowns are bullies

fish%20tank_zpshzqiufor.jpg

Next up is some basic birdsnests and a few nice caps. Then fill it in with zoas and GSP

Something new

A043C32A-9B4A-4485-B9EE-AC03BA260689_zps

Thanks to Dave for the prototype beam he sent a few weeks ago and helping finalize the scape :)

Realized I can see both from the couch

9D1DFF7F-FEF2-41A0-A4D9-2633C258A229_zps

• 1 month later...

Do you find the 'planted' array to have a decent color temperature?

That last picture was just the sun lighting the tank up. But I have a 6" BEAM, a DUO, and a Mini with "planted" arrays.

My favorite is the BEAM, it is very close to my 6700k halide, which I love. Dave says the array in my DUO is the same as the BEAM, but with more LEDS, but I swear it is very yellow compared to the BEAM. The Mini also has pretty good color, but not as nice as the BEAM. Not really sure what dave put in the Mini array, this one is like a year old.

My favorite is my Hybrid with 2 6700k T5's and the way I have the LED's, The coloring is amazing, such a crisp white. I will have to get accurate pictures one day.

jedimasterben

That last picture was just the sun lighting the tank up. But I have a 6" BEAM, a DUO, and a Mini with "planted" arrays.

My favorite is the BEAM, it is very close to my 6700k halide, which I love. Dave says the array in my DUO is the same as the BEAM, but with more LEDS, but I swear it is very yellow compared to the BEAM. The Mini also has pretty good color, but not as nice as the BEAM. Not really sure what dave put in the Mini array, this one is like a year old.

My favorite is my Hybrid with 2 6700k T5's and the way I have the LED's, The coloring is amazing, such a crisp white. I will have to get accurate pictures one day.

The array in the old Duo is definitely different from the Beam array unless it just has the reef array in it, in which case the beam is basically the 'white' channel as-is. I think it looks bad as a standalone. Color temperature is in the 3700-4000K range and has a green tint because it is unbalanced with blue. Compared to my current array on my planted tank, which uses high-CRI cool white and warm white as primary, it is no contest. Mix it with the actinic beam, though, and it gives you significant adjustability to be able to increase the color temperature and looked great with the actinic turned up just a bit and the white at full on both channels.

The array in the old Duo is definitely different from the Beam array unless it just has the reef array in it, in which case the beam is basically the 'white' channel as-is. I think it looks bad as a standalone. Color temperature is in the 3700-4000K range and has a green tint because it is unbalanced with blue. Compared to my current array on my planted tank, which uses high-CRI cool white and warm white as primary, it is no contest. Mix it with the actinic beam, though, and it gives you significant adjustability to be able to increase the color temperature and looked great with the actinic turned up just a bit and the white at full on both channels.

Dave had me send back my reef duo and he made it into a planted duo for the mangroves in the new tank. He used the Beam arrays, I will take pictures tonight.

3CE80A81-207E-41B7-939F-4014BCE21A45_zps

• 1 month later...

Just took these on the iPhone. Don't worry about all the algae. Both tanks are dirty as hell and the corals and mangroves love it.

The new tank should be shipped to me on Wednesday.

681496A3-B21D-4C1B-AF52-A73AE4309E12_zps

2119060A-2A29-47DC-BB9C-2078D5FE684A_zps

Archived