Pod Your Reef

Kimberbee's First Tank - RETIRED!

kimberbee

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dendros okay after the plate touched them?

Looks great!

Yup! I was worried, but too tired last night to reach in and move anything. Checked again this morning and all is well!!

The little orange sun coral isn't happy though. I need to make sure to spend extra time target feeding.

Do you still have your spiral wire gorgonian?

No. It died over the summer when I put everything in the holding tank. It was non-photosynthetic and turned black overnight one day. Totally my mistake. :(

love those two plate buddies =)

They are so cuddly together, right? :wub:

No. It died over the summer when I put everything in the holding tank. It was non-photosynthetic and turned black overnight one day. Totally my mistake. :(

They are so cuddly together, right? :wub:

I've heard they are tougher to keep though. I have been looking for some, can't find any and am a little scared anyway to get some :)

I've heard they are tougher to keep though. I have been looking for some, can't find any and am a little scared anyway to get some :)

I think it was the most I'd spent on a coral - I wanna say $50? It did really well in the cube. but I'm sure there was more nutrients in the water. I kept the holding tank too clean and was doing 50% water changes every week. I will definitely try one again (and/or other non-photo gorgs) after the upgrade!!

I think it was the most I'd spent on a coral - I wanna say $50? It did really well in the cube. but I'm sure there was more nutrients in the water. I kept the holding tank too clean and was doing 50% water changes every week. I will definitely try one again (and/or other non-photo gorgs) after the upgrade!!

It was so pretty!!! I want some if I can find them for sure.

I added the skimmer right before my vacation. I'm 100% sure it's not dialed in right and I am contemplating taking it out and moving it back to the fusion. It doesn't do well with water height fluctuations, so I have a hard time getting it in the right place in the biocube. Since the tank wasn't a huge algae mess when I got back from vacation, I figure the tank would probably be ok without a skimmer for a while.

Sun corals are doing well - the black sun has 11 heads!! Not sure if one grew recently, or I just missed counting it when I brought it home.

The smaller sun suffered a bit while I was gone. But it's a tiny 4-headed piece. Giving it extra care when I can. :wub:

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to hear about that flatworm, definitely not fun! I had the exact same thing happen to me a couple months ago and was able to remove the rock it was in entirely. I don't know if this advice will work, but if possible, watch your tank at night with just the moonlights and passing a flashlight or something. Then if you see it, maybe you'd be able to just take that rock out? They move to fast to be able to catch with anything else and I believe the give off a chemical too, so you wouldn't want to actually touch it. Not a fun situation to have and I hope you get that thing out of your tank! I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Sorry to hear about that flatworm, definitely not fun! I had the exact same thing happen to me a couple months ago and was able to remove the rock it was in entirely. I don't know if this advice will work, but if possible, watch your tank at night with just the moonlights and passing a flashlight or something. Then if you see it, maybe you'd be able to just take that rock out? They move to fast to be able to catch with anything else and I believe the give off a chemical too, so you wouldn't want to actually touch it. Not a fun situation to have and I hope you get that thing out of your tank! I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you.

The flatworm showed up in the middle of the day when lights were on!! It freaked me out.

It actually happened earlier this year. I was able to get it out by pulling the rock, and it was very nerve wracking! Glad you got yours out too!!

Ah ok, guess I didn't read far enough back! Glad to hear you got it though, it's kind of scary to think something like that can crawl around in your tank without being noticed!

That black sun coral looks gorgeous. It adds a nice dark side to the tank! It's really striking. Makes a statement. Hmmm. Gertie's tank once the nems are out?? (since I have lower lighting there on the left side especially.

That black sun coral looks gorgeous. It adds a nice dark side to the tank! It's really striking. Makes a statement. Hmmm. Gertie's tank once the nems are out?? (since I have lower lighting there on the left side especially.

It's my new favorite coral! I got it for a steal at $15!! Doesn't seem harder than the regular sun either. They seem to be pretty happy with 2-3 days a week feeding. Though I do go through a whole cube of frozen between the black and orange suns. Each head ends up with a 3-4 course meal. ;)

Bryopsis. :angry:

It's growing out of a sponge in the back side of one of the zoa colonies so it's not very visible, but it's there. I took the rock out and spot treated with hydrogen peroxide (I hope that was what I was supposed to do). We'll see if it dies or comes back. If it comes back I may pop the zoa colony off and toss it... :unsure:

Archived