inTank Media Baskets

Kimberbee's First Tank - RETIRED!

kimberbee

I notice my neon green hammer really likes high flow although it doesn't look it's best while getting blasted but he stays fully extended when he has good flow. I got that hydor you gave me (Thanks again!) Flowing behind about 25lbs of LR, and a rw-4 on pulse mode about 5in down in the middle on back wall slightly angled to the surface and keep it on half power. It's a lot of flow in my 28g, but it keeps everything happy and keeps the any bad algae grown away! Since I seen your tank, I decided to get a mini maxi too, I love them! Think im going to get another!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What? Was this recently? Eff that... I'll just boost my water changes the next two weeks before my vacation, and hope I can worry about getting more snails later.

If I JUST change water, will that even help with nasties and nitrates in the water, or do I need to siphon the sand?

happened last night...sigh

I notice my neon green hammer really likes high flow although it doesn't look it's best while getting blasted but he stays fully extended when he has good flow. I got that hydor you gave me (Thanks again!) Flowing behind about 25lbs of LR, and a rw-4 on pulse mode about 5in down in the middle on back wall slightly angled to the surface and keep it on half power. It's a lot of flow in my 28g, but it keeps everything happy and keeps the any bad algae grown away! Since I seen your tank, I decided to get a mini maxi too, I love them! Think im going to get another!

I probably need to add more flow, but I can't get my powerhead angled right... Stock pump and RW-4 with a 12v supply on speed 1. Glad the one I gave you is working out!

happened last night...sigh

:(

jedimasterben

What? Was this recently? Eff that... I'll just boost my water changes the next two weeks before my vacation, and hope I can worry about getting more snails later.

If I JUST change water, will that even help with nasties and nitrates in the water, or do I need to siphon the sand?

Water changes are the poorest method of nutrient export after doing nothing lol. They need to be frequent and large to have any effect, and the most they can do is the exact proportion to the amount you change, so if nitrate is 10 and you do a 10% change, the tank still has 9 nitrate. The best filtration is to physically remove food before it can break down, and detritus before it breaks down further, mechanical filtration and a skimmer are the best for the job. :)

Water changes are the poorest method of nutrient export after doing nothing lol. They need to be frequent and large to have any effect, and the most they can do is the exact proportion to the amount you change, so if nitrate is 10 and you do a 10% change, the tank still has 9 nitrate. The best filtration is to physically remove food before it can break down, and detritus before it breaks down further, mechanical filtration and a skimmer are the best for the job. :)

yay, no more water changes!

so if nitrate is 10 and you do a 10% change, the tank still has 9 nitrate. The best filtration is to physically remove food before it can break down, and detritus before it breaks down further, mechanical filtration and a skimmer are the best for the job. :)

That's what I figured. I'll just baste off my rocks and stir up the back chambers a little extra so all the junk get stuck in the filter floss. Probably would help to change that more than once a week too.

Thanks for being so helpful today!!

If I make my lunch the night before, I have enough time to feed my sun coral in the morning before I leave for work. I've been able to do that yesterday and today. So far, so good. It looks really really happy. fingerscrossed

I moved my orange sun coral out of the fusion, carefully brushed off some hair algae ( :blush: ), and put it next to the black sun. They can be buddies and hopefully that will make it easier to feed.

Skimmer is in and pulling out green tea looking junk.

Vacation in a week, and I'll be gone for a week. My mom is going to watch my tanks (she's staying over to watch my kitty too) and her only request is that she not have to put her hands in the water. Trying to figure out the best way to have food prepared for her, how many times she needs to feed, and if my suns will be ok a week without target feeding...

If I make my lunch the night before, I have enough time to feed my sun coral in the morning before I leave for work. I've been able to do that yesterday and today. So far, so good. It looks really really happy. fingerscrossed

I moved my orange sun coral out of the fusion, carefully brushed off some hair algae ( :blush: ), and put it next to the black sun. They can be buddies and hopefully that will make it easier to feed.

Skimmer is in and pulling out green tea looking junk.

Vacation in a week, and I'll be gone for a week. My mom is going to watch my tanks (she's staying over to watch my kitty too) and her only request is that she not have to put her hands in the water. Trying to figure out the best way to have food prepared for her, how many times she needs to feed, and if my suns will be ok a week without target feeding...

The suns should be fine just feed them well before you go. Mine went two weeks last time I went away and survived

The suns should be fine just feed them well before you go. Mine went two weeks last time I went away and survived

Thanks for the info, I'll make sure to feed them as much as I can the next few days.

The bad news is that my cleaner shrimp realized that he can pick food from my sun coral's mouths. I may not be able to continue morning feeding cause I don't have as much time to sit and watch over my shrimp to make sure he's playing nice. But if I can hit each head with some food 2-3 times every evening, I'm thinking that will be ok.

Thanks for the info, I'll make sure to feed them as much as I can the next few days.

The bad news is that my cleaner shrimp realized that he can pick food from my sun coral's mouths. I may not be able to continue morning feeding cause I don't have as much time to sit and watch over my shrimp to make sure he's playing nice. But if I can hit each head with some food 2-3 times every evening, I'm thinking that will be ok.

Maybe put them up on a frag rack as a temporary measure so the shrimp stays off of them.

Maybe put them up on a frag rack as a temporary measure so the shrimp stays off of them.

Too much of a hassle. :P

Morning feeding went well the first two days this week, but yesterday and today I was in too much of a rush to get out the door. Unless I want to wake up earlier than 5:30, I think I'll just start feeding twice in the evening (6pm and 9pm).

ha! another tank! Sometimes you just must to separate off little things you still want. Like I don't want my acid rain bta in with my rock flowers so it'll be a separate tank still. Can't put Gertie in the 10 cuz she'd kill that shrimp and probably the stars. Can't put her in with the clowns, goby & 6-line so she remains in the 20 which is perfect for her.

ha! another tank! Sometimes you just must to separate off little things you still want. Like I don't want my acid rain bta in with my rock flowers so it'll be a separate tank still. Can't put Gertie in the 10 cuz she'd kill that shrimp and probably the stars. Can't put her in with the clowns, goby & 6-line so she remains in the 20 which is perfect for her.

I really had been planning on just doing one tank when I move in the spring. But my bite-y little clownfish is so cute and unique! An extra little tank with mushrooms and zoas really shouldn't be too hard to take care of on top of a 45 gallon... right? :happy:

I really had been planning on just doing one tank when I move in the spring. But my bite-y little clownfish is so cute and unique! An extra little tank with mushrooms and zoas really shouldn't be too hard to take care of on top of a 45 gallon... right? :happy:

maybe a tiny Fluval Spec V...? i know someone that's breaking down theirs in a month or so =P

maybe a tiny Fluval Spec V...? i know someone that's breaking down theirs in a month or so =P

Thanks, but I think I'm going to go for a 12 inch cube. I have the HOB filter for it, and a tide at the ready. AquaPros I think has them for $40!

Well, the less she does the better so she doesn't over do anything. There's certainly drought in the wild.

I've left my tanks with a sitter a couple times and took the same approach. I just had her put in a set number of pellets every morning. Four in the 4g tank and 10 in the 10g tank. I figured it would be just enough to give the fish a little something to eat, and then they'd poop enough to feed the corals. Almost every time I came back to corals that looked better than when I left.

Plus I didn't feel guilty for overfeeding the corals when I got back :D

I've left my tanks with a sitter a couple times and took the same approach.

Should have thought about that. My fish dont take pellets as well as frozen. But I think I will pre-cut cubes. 1/4 cube for the fusion and 1/2 cube for the biocube only twice for the week should be good I would think.

Is she doing top offs or did you have an ATO? I can't remember w/ so many threads I look up.

ATO in the fusion, but I have a small container cause I'm paranoid of over filling - so I refill it every 1-2 days. Biocube has the lid, so evap is very minimal. Maybe need to top off 1 cup every 2-3 days.

Archived