SaltCritters.com

Kimberbee's First Tank - RETIRED!

kimberbee

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here it is, the actual black sun coral pic:

22290257923_86920c1f59_z.jpg

Polyps out again when I got home today :)

Head over to my fusion thread for a bombardment of RFA pics and a few other new things!

Pretty sun coral at the most amazing price ever. Don't people usually pay like $35 a head for those? I've thought before to do a tank of those. But I thought the feeding would get tiresome.

Pretty sun coral at the most amazing price ever. Don't people usually pay like $35 a head for those? I've thought before to do a tank of those. But I thought the feeding would get tiresome.

Yeah, usually the LFS has chunks of the orange/yellow suns for $50-75 for a small 10 or so head piece. I have NEVER seen the black suns for sale at any LFS, so I had to jump on it for $15!!

I thinking RFA, gorg, sun dominant upgrade in the spring. Of course, I'll still keep some SPS, the plates, and my hammer too. :happy:

Those black suns :wub:

I love the FTS - the fish all look like they are holding still to pose for the shot :D

It's so much better with this new scape! They are all out all the time! Even my firefish, which I was told can be really skittish. He only hides when I'm siphoning the sand clean. Definitely am going to keep my scape similar to this in the upgrade!

jedimasterben

Just remember to keep feeding that black sun, go for at least a couple of times daily. They will start to recede very quickly if they don't get enough :(

Just remember to keep feeding that black sun, go for at least a couple of times daily. They will start to recede very quickly if they don't get enough :(

Thanks for the tip. I had been doing every 2 days, so I will bump that up! Good thing (I think) is that two or three heads are baby heads. I'll be able to tell if it's doing well based on if they start to grow big and strong. I know my orange one started to grow a 5th baby head, but when I added my shrimp it disappeared cause he is a food stealer!! I've got water bottle covers now!

I'm having a problem with orange "dust" on my sand bed. I'm assuming it's algae of some kind? Weird cause I'm normally careful about feeding this tank, but I wonder if it's just part of the "uglies" that new tanks go through. Either way, I don't like it!

22593286359_d0e9d066fb_z.jpg

22362697864_4a3374335e_z.jpg

jedimasterben

Just diatoms - you'll be seeing a LOT more of them since you will be significantly increasing your feeding for the black sun until your biofilter adjusts to the new nutrient import amount. What skimmer do you have?

Just diatoms - you'll be seeing a LOT more of them since you will be significantly increasing your feeding for the black sun until your biofilter adjusts to the new nutrient import amount. What skimmer do you have?

Don't have one in the tank at the moment but I do have an eshopps nano skimmer I can add.

This tank's got diatoms on the sand. Fusion has hair algae. I knocked both tank photoperiods down by an hour, and added chemipure Wednesday. Both tanks had previously only been running carbon.

jedimasterben

Don't have one in the tank at the moment but I do have an eshopps nano skimmer I can add.

This tank's got diatoms on the sand. Fusion has hair algae. I knocked both tank photoperiods down by an hour, and added chemipure Wednesday. Both tanks had previously only been running carbon.

Yeah, with the new black sun, you're going to absolutely need a skimmer, the bigger the better. They're pretty delicate as it is with good water quality, and with a lot of food water quality goes down pretty fast.

Yeah, with the new black sun, you're going to absolutely need a skimmer, the bigger the better. They're pretty delicate as it is with good water quality, and with a lot of food water quality goes down pretty fast.

Thanks. :flower:

I'll stick it in tonight and work on dialing it in over the weekend. I may need to bump up my cuc in both tanks. ####ing lazy snails. The only ones I see moving around much are the zombie snails. Too cold for shipping at this point so hopefully I can find something locally.

jedimasterben

Thanks. :flower:

I'll stick it in tonight and work on dialing it in over the weekend. I may need to bump up my cuc in both tanks. ####ing lazy snails. The only ones I see moving around much are the zombie snails. Too cold for shipping at this point so hopefully I can find something locally.

I was FINALLY able to get a damned order of FL ceriths in that survived shipping. I've ordered at least 5 times from three different places in the last year and a half and have NEVER had any FL ceriths survive shipping. Was so happy about that yesterday that it made up for the fact that they sent me some sort of crazy stupid starfish and a bunch of whelks instead of nassarius lol.

I was FINALLY able to get a damned order of FL ceriths in that survived shipping. I've ordered at least 5 times from three different places in the last year and a half and have NEVER had any FL ceriths survive shipping. Was so happy about that yesterday that it made up for the fact that they sent me some sort of crazy stupid starfish and a bunch of whelks instead of nassarius lol.

My FL ceriths are just as lazy as my nerites, that fall over just as often as astreas... ####ing snails...

Those are impressive photos of the black sun coral :wub:.

Have you tried Live-plants for Florida ceriths? I've not lost a one from there. Now reefcleaners..they all always die.
jedimasterben

Those are impressive photos of the black sun coral :wub:.

Have you tried Live-plants for Florida ceriths? I've not lost a one from there. Now reefcleaners..they all always die.

Twice for them.

my two turbo snails I got locally both died...and pretty much nuked the tank with cyano

What? Was this recently? Eff that... I'll just boost my water changes the next two weeks before my vacation, and hope I can worry about getting more snails later.

If I JUST change water, will that even help with nasties and nitrates in the water, or do I need to siphon the sand?

Archived