Coral Vue Hydros

Kimberbee's First Tank - RETIRED!

kimberbee

Dirty glass and the sun is too bright!! Last nice FTS - reboot started tonight!!

19931523405_f8f5b0f45e.jpg

19923933782_45241d8e17.jpg

19931515045_cd2d7a94f2.jpg

Monster tank:

19743447348_8985371fc9.jpg

I took the monster vase out, put some frag racks in, added a koralia, made an egg crate lid, changed out and added water, put up some lights, and moved a few pieces in:

19743452200_82be52497c.jpg

Miyagi/shortcake was moved over, as well as a dying hammer, and three loose blue shrooms. The shrooms are in the breeder basket gently rubber banded to a new, clean rock. However, I think the basket really blocks the flow, so I will probably take that out tomorrow.

As long as every thing looks good, I'll add a few more pieces this weekend, and likely take out hat big rock and xenia in there now. That rock has aptasia! :angry:

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why revival? The biocube looks great!

Because what you don't see is the dead 3 inch plate, 8 headed trumpet, 4 headed acan, and frogspawn that have died the past two months. I think my rocks and sand bed are gross nasty factories, and my pumps are hardwired into my lid so I can't take them out for cleaning. Need to do something so everything doesn't keep dying!

Are you going to try replacing the sand also Kimber?

Yes, everythingggg! Ok, almost everything. I'll keep a few rocks that are "clean" but the majority of rocks and sand are getting tossed.

Because what you don't see is the dead 3 inch plate, 8 headed trumpet, 4 headed acan, and frogspawn that have died the past two months. I think my rocks and sand bed are gross nasty factories, and my pumps are hardwired into my lid so I can't take them out for cleaning. Need to do something so everything doesn't keep dying!

Yes, everythingggg! Ok, almost everything. I'll keep a few rocks that are "clean" but the majority of rocks and sand are getting tossed.

I can't wait to see how it all turns out! You can also look for any additional monsters while you're at it!

HarryPotter

Ooooof sorry :(

I can't wait to see how it all turns out! You can also look for any additional monsters while you're at it!

I still have my flatworm!!

Sorry about the deaths....but that tank looked great.

Thanks. I think it was at it's best around 7-9 months old. Its really depressing looking now. But hopefully I can turn that around!

I still have my flatworm!!

Thanks. I think it was at it's best around 7-9 months old. Its really depressing looking now. But hopefully I can turn that around!

That was an intense night when you first texted me that picture. You're stronger than I am. I don't think I could've kept him around as long as you have

How is the beastie flat worm kimberbee?

He just hides under the PVC all day. There are two tiny snails in with him that he hasn't eaten.

I may take mercy on him and sacrifice a snail so he has something to eat.

Also might be nice and change his water too!

He just hides under the PVC all day. There are two tiny snails in with him that he hasn't eaten.

I may take mercy on him and sacrifice a snail so he has something to eat.

Also might be nice and change his water too!

You are nice lol. Good job kimberbee

Damn. Don't toss the rock acid wash it or put it out on the patio for awhile. You never know when you will need some rock. Are you getting high phosphates? I think you sand is really the only issue. you should have some nasty algae or other issues if your rock was leaching phosphates. Your tank actually looks pretty good. But a re boot never hurts took me nine years to reboot my tank. We all suffer unexplained losses. But if you look into it there is usually a good reason, bugs, parasites, other corals fighting for space ect. That's a baby in tank years but you said the sand came from a older tank that is the only reason I suspect the sand is full of crap.

Damn. Don't toss the rock acid wash it or put it out on the patio for awhile. You never know when you will need some rock. Are you getting high phosphates? I think you sand is really the only issue. you should have some nasty algae or other issues if your rock was leaching phosphates. Your tank actually looks pretty good. But a re boot never hurts took me nine years to reboot my tank. We all suffer unexplained losses. But if you look into it there is usually a good reason, bugs, parasites, other corals fighting for space ect. That's a baby in tank years but you said the sand came from a older tank that is the only reason I suspect the sand is full of crap.

I may save some of the smaller pieces. Cause true, rock is rock and sometimes people look at you funny when you say you need to go buy nice $6 per pound rock. But, I've got baby aptasia on a lot of it and half my pieces are very dense football sized or larger. I really need some porous, holey, good for frag plugs rock.

I do plan to dry out and keep 2 pieces. Maybe a couple more.

Kimber, I always keep some rock in a 5 gallon bucket with saltwater and an airstone. That way you have an instant QT if needed. Of course we have a huge ranch house with a full basement and space might be an issue for you.

Kimber, I always keep some rock in a 5 gallon bucket with saltwater and an airstone. That way you have an instant QT if needed. Of course we have a huge ranch house with a full basement and space might be an issue for you.

Yep, small 1bed/1bath apartment. I don't even have a patio or yard area to dry my old rocks out in the sun for storage.

If I keep any rocks, they will have to be dry and kept in the back of a closet.

Really frustrated with this tank move, and the fact my mushrooms keep bailing from the rocks (in both the holding tank and the biocube). They stayed put for many months, then I moved the rock they were on a little and now it seems every few days another releases and floats off. :furious: Trying to remember they are living creatures and want to be where is most comfortable for them and not where I think is pretty!

Thanks to John at ReefCleaners I have a whole buncha rock coming my way! This means I don't have to wait a few weeks to really get this re-vamp started! :naughtydance:

The plan is to pop a few more corals into the holding tank tonight, a few more Sunday night, then whatever's left and the fish over Wednesday with my scheduled water change!!

What I really need to know now is if there's a way to coax any little brittle stars out of the old rocks?

The monster has a new home. This should help with evaporation in such a small container. Also hopefully with live rock, keep the water cleaner. There's also a few small tuffts of xenia on the rock so I'll be able to monitor the water quality by how the xenia grows:

19421312033_a90b6f11ea.jpg

My cube is looking rather sad. I moved a bunch more coral out tonight. Now I'm worrying I'll mess this up and everything will die...

19854225988_1f439b7058.jpg

And the holding tank after a 3 gallon water change and adding more corals:

20016009906_02e0135335.jpg

i'm not even sure i know what's going on

anymore. but good luck! you are a softie saving

that monster thingy. whatever it is. ha!

Nice to see the reboot coming along so you can rescape the tank how you want. & I'm a knitter too! Yay crafters :lol: Are you on Ravelry?

Nice to see the reboot coming along so you can rescape the tank how you want. & I'm a knitter too! Yay crafters :lol: Are you on Ravelry?

I am on Ravelry, though I haven't used it in some time. Hoping to get back into knitting once I get my tanks back on track!

Archived