Pod Your Reef

Kimberbee's First Tank - RETIRED!

kimberbee

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still no idea what's going on...

LFS said temp is a little high (it's 80.1), mag is a little low (1300) as well as calcium (380), and I should feed more.

Well, I did an 8 gallon water change tonight and siphoned out the back chambers. I added my PC fan hookup from last summer again.

Now to wait and see how it looks tomorrow...

Still no idea what's going on...

LFS said temp is a little high (it's 80.1), mag is a little low (1300) as well as calcium (380), and I should feed more.

Well, I did an 8 gallon water change tonight and siphoned out the back chambers. I added my PC fan hookup from last summer again.

Now to wait and see how it looks tomorrow...

80 is fine.......just want it to be consistent.

80 is fine.......just want it to be consistent.

I agree, but what do I have to loose by dropping temp 2 degrees?

I'll be testing mag and calcium again tonight to see where its at after the water change.

ETA: I was pretty tired last night so I didn't say... Chambers 2 and 3 were not that dirty. Tons of sponges and feather dusters though. But chamber one was grosssss!! There was this gray/brown silt-like gunk that must settle there naturally. Maybe getting that out will help?

I agree, but what do I have to loose by dropping temp 2 degrees?

I'll be testing mag and calcium again tonight to see where its at after the water change.

ETA: I was pretty tired last night so I didn't say... Chambers 2 and 3 were not that dirty. Tons of sponges and feather dusters though. But chamber one was grosssss!! There was this gray/brown silt-like gunk that must settle there naturally. Maybe getting that out will help?

It sure can't hurt at all. How are all the frags looking today?

It sure can't hurt at all. How are all the frags looking today?

Things were still a little pissy this morning, but I had finished up literally just before lights out.

Hopefully everybody got a good night's rest and will be happier and more open later today!

Things were still a little pissy this morning, but I had finished up literally just before lights out.

Hopefully everybody got a good night's rest and will be happier and more open later today!

I hear ya, I finally got to bed somewhere around 1am!

Well, I found a POLYCLAD FLATWORM cruising my tank last night. It really freaked me out. I was up till just past midnight trying to find it again, and then snapped awake at 5 (before my alarm goes off) trying to process what I'm going to do.

I haven't added any live rock ever (only what the tank came with, and I usually only buy frags that come on plugs or small fits-in-your palm rubble. Meaning it likely came in as a baby on a frag sometime 4+ months ago.

I noticed my bigger snails were dying, but accused my hermits. Sorry, little fellas. Innocent until proven guilty.

I don't have the money or desire to keep replacing my CUC every 4-6 months (actually I was figuring I'd have to beef it up again within the next month) and I'm worried about what it will get a taste for once the snails run out. I'm really worried about my shrimp, mandarin, and firefish, as they all sleep on/in the rocks/coral where this little b*tard hunts while I'm sleeping safe in my bed. But considering that I've never once before seen this guy, I'm not hopefully I'd find him again, out in the open, where he'll be easy to catch.

So now I'm back to lets take everything out and reboot the tank. I still have a 10gal QT set up cause I was hoping for a new fish, but I wonder if that will be big enough.

I'd need to get a light, and make or buy a frag rack. I'd put my mandarin in the fusion, cause there's more pods for hunting even though, thankfully, he does eat frozen too. But that puts 3 fish, and all the corals, with as little rock rubble as possible in a 10 gallon.

Then I can wipe the biocube clean. Toss sand, probably toss rocks, run with vinegar for a week, and really get it clean while new rocks are cycling.

Additional question: if I freshwater dip, will brittle stars come out and potentially be saved?

I'd have to do this on a weekend, likely the 25th/26th because I would need time to get the 10gal a bit more ready and I would surely need a whole day or two to clean up. Also, I don't want to make a rash decision.

So again I ask... WWNRD?

Well, I found a POLYCLAD FLATWORM cruising my tank last night. It really freaked me out. I was up till just past midnight trying to find it again, and then snapped awake at 5 (before my alarm goes off) trying to process what I'm going to do.

I haven't added any live rock ever (only what the tank came with, and I usually only buy frags that come on plugs or small fits-in-your palm rubble. Meaning it likely came in as a baby on a frag sometime 4+ months ago.

I noticed my bigger snails were dying, but accused my hermits. Sorry, little fellas. Innocent until proven guilty.

I don't have the money or desire to keep replacing my CUC every 4-6 months (actually I was figuring I'd have to beef it up again within the next month) and I'm worried about what it will get a taste for once the snails run out. I'm really worried about my shrimp, mandarin, and firefish, as they all sleep on/in the rocks/coral where this little b*tard hunts while I'm sleeping safe in my bed. But considering that I've never once before seen this guy, I'm not hopefully I'd find him again, out in the open, where he'll be easy to catch.

So now I'm back to lets take everything out and reboot the tank. I still have a 10gal QT set up cause I was hoping for a new fish, but I wonder if that will be big enough.

I'd need to get a light, and make or buy a frag rack. I'd put my mandarin in the fusion, cause there's more pods for hunting even though, thankfully, he does eat frozen too. But that puts 3 fish, and all the corals, with as little rock rubble as possible in a 10 gallon.

Then I can wipe the biocube clean. Toss sand, probably toss rocks, run with vinegar for a week, and really get it clean while new rocks are cycling.

Additional question: if I freshwater dip, will brittle stars come out and potentially be saved?

I'd have to do this on a weekend, likely the 25th/26th because I would need time to get the 10gal a bit more ready and I would surely need a whole day or two to clean up. Also, I don't want to make a rash decision.

So again I ask... WWNRD?

Get a bottle of brown party liquor and sit in front of the tank and wait the ugly beast out it'll show,leave a baby food jar or similar with some snails and it will show up then Wham spear him,it'll work trust. :D,if not I got a derinnger .22 you can use :P

Get a bottle of brown party liquor and sit in front of the tank and wait the ugly beast out it'll show,leave a baby food jar or similar with some snails and it will show up then Wham spear him,it'll work trust. :D,if not I got a derinnger .22 you can use :P

Don't you think the snails will be suspicious of that kind of party? I would think they might catch on and leave early!!

Just put some holes in the lid of a Tupperware container,so the flat worm can pick up their chemical signature and when it tries to get em pow!

Load it with all the snails you can make it not have an option so it will have to check it out.

Just put some holes in the lid of a Tupperware container,so the flat worm can pick up their chemical signature and when it tries to get em pow!

Load it with all the snails you can make it not have an option so it will have to check it out.

Ahh, that makes more sense. Like a snail cage.

Yea I watched shark week so I'm all about let's bait the beast with morsels in a cage. If you're twisted like me you'll enjoy watching the hell beast not being able to open the cage before it gets the axe.

Metal.

The more I think about it, the more I want to say, f*it and start over with new, pest free rocks. Now I'm scared there's eggs in there...

Ugh, sorry to read about the tank woes, Kimber! Sounds like complete removal of the sand bed & maybe the rocks too wouldn't be such a bad thing. PM'd you about the light.

Ugh, sorry to read about the tank woes, Kimber! Sounds like complete removal of the sand bed & maybe the rocks too wouldn't be such a bad thing. PM'd you about the light.

:happydance:

The more I think about it, the more I want to say, f*it and start over with new, pest free rocks. Now I'm scared there's eggs in there...

or just do your tank upgrade =). May as well if you gonna start fresh with new rocks.

or just do your tank upgrade =). May as well if you gonna start fresh with new rocks.

Pusher :happy:

Cost to reboot = cost of new sand, rocks, and temp light for QT (less than $200)

Cost to upgrade er'ythang = $2000 (cause I'd want another Nanobox)

If you pay the difference I'll do the upgrade!! :D

Pusher :happy:

Cost to reboot = cost of new sand, rocks, and temp light for QT (less than $200)

Cost to upgrade er'ythang = $2000 (cause I'd want another Nanobox)

If you pay the difference I'll do the upgrade!! :D

cost to reboot then upgrade in a couple of months = $200 + $2000

so i just saved you $200

=P

cost to reboot then upgrade in a couple of months = $200 + $2000

so i just saved you $200

=P

I'd push the upgrade out another year. :/ I just don't have that $2000 yet with my Ponticrap issues.

Merthynia was so nice Sunday and didn't complain once about my lack of a/c... Blower motor or something went out after we left your place!

I'd push the upgrade out another year. :/ I just don't have that $2000 yet with my Ponticrap issues.

Merthynia was so nice Sunday and didn't complain once about my lack of a/c... Blower motor or something went out after we left your place!

ouch...it was so hot that day! i guess car upgrade > tank upgrade

Haha, I didn't mind that at all. I was just glad someone other than me was driving cause I'd be SO lost!! Did your fellow have a chance to take a look at it? I'm really surprised you were able to sleep at all last night after that nightmare conversation we were having! I'm pretty sure I checked my tank at least 5 times.

Haha, I didn't mind that at all. I was just glad someone other than me was driving cause I'd be SO lost!! Did your fellow have a chance to take a look at it? I'm really surprised you were able to sleep at all last night after that nightmare conversation we were having! I'm pretty sure I checked my tank at least 5 times.

I woke up at 5am this morning and checked, laid in bed till my alarm went off at 5:30 and checked again. Once more at 6:15 before I left for work!! I was running late for my dinner date so I've only checked once this evening.... but I'll probably look multiple times again before bed!

This weekend is supposed to be up in the 90's!! I hope my BF has time to look at my car before then, as he hasn't had time yet.

I woke up at 5am this morning and checked, laid in bed till my alarm went off at 5:30 and checked again. Once more at 6:15 before I left for work!! I was running late for my dinner date so I've only checked once this evening.... but I'll probably look multiple times again before bed!

This weekend is supposed to be up in the 90's!! I hope my BF has time to look at my car before then, as he hasn't had time yet.

Sending you good vibes to be able to catch that monster tonight!!

Archived