Top Shelf Aquatics

Kimberbee's First Tank - RETIRED!

kimberbee

To follow my current "theme" he needs to be named after a fictional character... hmm...

Well then Zadok won't work as he is a historic character....the high priest during King David's reign.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mr. Microscope

Congrats on the shrimp. They are a lot of fun. Mine will literally give me a manicure when I stick my hand in the water.

As for the plate, maybe try to keep it in a very low flow environment. Also, target feeding should help as well.

I've decided to name my shrimp Rickety Cricket, or Rickety for short.

I also think that when I upgrade this tank (next time I move) I'm going to go wit ha 40 breeder with a made-by-me acrylic insert on a short side to make it peninsula style. A nice big softy tank with one or two colorful SPS's.

Softie tanks seem to be coming back into vogue. It is hard to argue with the ease of not having to constantly monitor alk and CA. The challenge I found is in getting that punch of color. You can do it with zoas or colorful macros. And in your case a couple showcase sps. Sounds like a good plan for someday.

Softie tanks seem to be coming back into vogue. It is hard to argue with the ease of not having to constantly monitor alk and CA. The challenge I found is in getting that punch of color. You can do it with zoas or colorful macros. And in your case a couple showcase sps. Sounds like a good plan for someday.

I'd like to do the upgrade within a year or two because I'm really hating on the cube shape my biocube has. I just really like using hte length of my fusion and feel there's a mot more possibilities.

I want to be able to have the stand flush to the wall and a box/cover to conceal all wires. that's gonna take some planning to make sure I have room for everything and that it's even possible!

Tank is not doing well.

All of my blue shrooms have bailed from their rock. My plate is now only half a plate. My sun coral is now receding. The undata is now fading and hardly has any polyps out. But the duncan is looooving life and so is my green toadstool.

I'll test my water tonight, before and after a water change and clean up.

Tank is not doing well.

All of my blue shrooms have bailed from their rock. My plate is now only half a plate. My sun coral is now receding. The undata is now fading and hardly has any polyps out. But the duncan is looooving life and so is my green toadstool.

I'll test my water tonight, before and after a water change and clean up.

Oh no!! Sending some good tank mojo your biocube's way.

HarryPotter

I'm just so frustrated. Everything really turned when I re-arranged the rocks a few weeks ago. :(

That stinks :(

If this happened after you re-arranged rocks I'm thinking that released a ton of detritus that was stuck in the sand bed. I think a few large water changes (Universal "reset") are in order

That stinks :(

If this happened after you re-arranged rocks I'm thinking that released a ton of detritus that was stuck in the sand bed. I think a few large water changes (Universal "reset") are in order

That's what I'm thinking (hoping) too.

I know that changes need to happen slowly and carefully, but for some reason today it's REALLY bothering me and my anxiety is sky high right now.

I was thinking about taking out some of the more loose corals and putting them in holding tupperware while I do the water change. That way I can stir everything up really good and no one will fly around.

I was thinking maybe a breeder net on the side of my tank would be good for the mushrooms to hang out in if they continue to detach. The plastic cups I had hanging with the xenia collects a lot of nasties.

Oh no, sorry you're having trouble. Could it be toxins from one of your softies? Maybe somebody got squished when you rearranged things? If you haven't already done so some fresh charcoal to go along with your planned water change(s) may help.

Oh no, sorry you're having trouble. Could it be toxins from one of your softies? Maybe somebody got squished when you rearranged things? If you haven't already done so some fresh charcoal to go along with your planned water change(s) may help.

I second the carbon.

First cleaning of the month I change carbon, which was last week. But I did chop off the rest of my xenia then too and it wasn't happy for a while. No harm in changing it early I suppose!

I think my flow is a little off too since re-arranging the rocks. I might work on that just slightly today too.

Ahhh my tanks kinda going through the blues too...Losing a bit of color on some SPS...Lost three acros out of nowhere...Really puzzling stuff..I have a colony of zoas that look like inside out umbrellas...(really stupid looking) haha..I pretty much took the same course of action.. WC/carbon..worrying and some more worrying.

First cleaning of the month I change carbon, which was last week. But I did chop off the rest of my xenia then too and it wasn't happy for a while. No harm in changing it early I suppose!

I think my flow is a little off too since re-arranging the rocks. I might work on that just slightly today too.

Did I read in your thread that you fragged the xenia in the tank? I always frag a softie in water that I take out of the tank because they do release a lot of toxins from the cut.
HarryPotter

Did I read in your thread that you fragged the xenia in the tank? I always frag a softie in water that I take out of the tank because they do release a lot of toxins from the cut.

+1

Yeah after fragging softies smell your hands- smells terrible. I think they release some nasty stuff, that you should definitely avoid in the future. Frag in a tub of water, and even swish the softie around in another container of salt water before putting it back in IMO

+1

Yeah after fragging softies smell your hands- smells terrible. I think they release some nasty stuff, that you should definitely avoid in the future. Frag in a tub of water, and even swish the softie around in another container of salt water before putting it back in IMO

Dear god I hate that smell!!

I found, while doing my water change, a large snail shell wedged in between some rocks, opening facing up. Lordy did it STINK!! Perhaps that rotting nastiness was part of the issue too... Ugh. Gag...

I re-arranged the rock just a bit. I'll do a bonus water change this weekend.

I couldn't leave well enough alone. Re-arranged the rocks again during my water change earlier this week, and now the cyano has come out to play. :(

I'll be doing a half water change this weekend.

I couldn't leave well enough alone. Re-arranged the rocks again during my water change earlier this week, and now the cyano has come out to play. :(

I'll be doing a half water change this weekend.

I can never leave my rock scape alone haha. I'm always messing with it.

Also kimberbee, I posted extra pictures on lawns thread of the dogs as you requested.

Archived