ReefCleaners.org

Kimberbee's First Tank - RETIRED!

kimberbee

kimberbee

What am I doing wrong? What can I try to change?

This is so disappointing...

December 31

15537016114_f0372bdbcf.jpgIMG_5675 by kimothy182, on Flickr

There are clearly hints of green and blue-ish

April 12

17379188012_ff0f672d2e.jpgWP_20150412_016 by kimothy182, on Flickr

Now it's just an ugly pale pick color, but had definitely grown.

Same with my undata, it's doubled in size, but it isn't vibrant AT ALL.

Feeling very poopy about this today...

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sorry, kimber. :(

sticks are advanced, though, right?

don't they need special lighting and dosing

and extra extra extra?

By no means am I an SPS expert. But my best guess is it's the lighting. I bet the ecoxotic panorama pros (is that right?) just aren't strong enough. I bet you'll find a world of difference when you get them under the nanobox light :).

kimberbee

sorry, kimber. :(

sticks are advanced, though, right?

don't they need special lighting and dosing

and extra extra extra?

They are growing, so not dying. The color is just off. Which is upsetting when I got them for their color in the first place!

kimberbee

By no means am I an SPS expert. But my best guess is it's the lighting. I bet the ecoxotic panorama pros (is that right?) just aren't strong enough. I bet you'll find a world of difference when you get them under the nanobox light :).

Yup, panorama pros. I honestly dont understand the difference between different lights.

I may move a select couple to the new tank under the nanobox, but would then have to rethink a clown goby. I suppose if they hang on long enough to be moved, there's no harm in that.

I guess option 1 (easiest) is to go all softy/lps in this tank and sell (or move) my sps's. Option 2 would be to actually test more than once a month and try to continue a mixed tank, though, without knowing for sure that my lights are sufficient that could just lead to more frustration...

So many decisions in this hobby!

kimberbee

Another example, my a. sarmentosa has been a beautiful green with red polyps until recently. Now there's barely any green. However, it is happily encrusting and still has lovely big polyps!

Today...

16766355593_65a1e16212.jpgWP_20150505_001 by kimothy182, on Flickr

So sad!!

October...

15836520000_f1bedeaf82.jpgIMG_5556 by kimothy182, on Flickr

And actually, going back I see my acan aren't as vibrant as they once were either. Ugh. Sooooo bummed right now!

Another example, my a. sarmentosa has been a beautiful green with red polyps until recently. Now there's barely any green. However, it is happily encrusting and still has lovely big polyps!

Today...

16766355593_65a1e16212.jpgWP_20150505_001 by kimothy182, on Flickr

So sad!!

October...

15836520000_f1bedeaf82.jpgIMG_5556 by kimothy182, on Flickr

And actually, going back I see my acan aren't as vibrant as they once were either. Ugh. Sooooo bummed right now!

You're obviously doing something right....... or they wouldn't have growth or PE...........because they'd be dead. I'm guessing lighting as well.

kimberbee

You're obviously doing something right....... or they wouldn't have growth or PE...........because they'd be dead. I'm guessing lighting as well.

Not really sure what to do about lighting. My idea was to take off the lid and make my own mount for the panoramas, plus add a t5 bulb or two. But, they dont make bulbs shorter than 24" and the bio cube is only 21".

Next idea...

DurocShark

They make 8w T5 fixtures that are around 12" long. slimfluorescent.com has them for around $22 and $2 more gets you an "Ultra Violet" whatever that means exactly... heh Next size up is 22.5" though.

kimberbee

They make 8w T5 fixtures that are around 12" long. slimfluorescent.com has them for around $22 and $2 more gets you an "Ultra Violet" whatever that means exactly... heh Next size up is 22.5" though.

I have a fixture I could use for one fluorescent bulb (used to hold a black light, hahaha), though I don't know for sure how long it is. I thought 18' but that's probably wrong.

Here they sell just bulbs. But in cool white, warm white, and daylight. I wonder if it would even make a difference?

http://www.bulbs.com/T--5_Linear/results.aspx

DurocShark

I have the Panorama Pro as well on my 9G. Great light, but I would like to see more blue. And that may be why your corals aren't as colorful as you'd like. That's what I was thinking with the "Ultra Violet" bulb.

You could add a third Ecoxotic all blue strip. That might make a difference. I'm considering the same for mine.

kimberbee

I have the Panorama Pro as well on my 9G. Great light, but I would like to see more blue. And that may be why your corals aren't as colorful as you'd like. That's what I was thinking with the "Ultra Violet" bulb.

You could add a third Ecoxotic all blue strip. That might make a difference. I'm considering the same for mine.

Blue or the blue/magenta were my thoughts.

I know that the corals need light to thrive, but I don't understand how or why or what's best.

I can add more blue, but will I still end up with a faded coral that just looks blue cause that's the light it's under?

DurocShark

The coloration of the corals is often dependent upon the color and quantity of light they are under. I don't know about this one specifically, but I do believe our Panorama Pros to have insufficient blue in the ratio. (Anecdotal evidence only... Judging by the coloration of my acros and montis.) Since most growers and hobbyists have far more blue than we do, it seems like an obvious answer when everything else is in spec.

Yup, panorama pros. I honestly dont understand the difference between different lights.

I may move a select couple to the new tank under the nanobox, but would then have to rethink a clown goby. I suppose if they hang on long enough to be moved, there's no harm in that.

I guess option 1 (easiest) is to go all softy/lps in this tank and sell (or move) my sps's. Option 2 would be to actually test more than once a month and try to continue a mixed tank, though, without knowing for sure that my lights are sufficient that could just lead to more frustration...

So many decisions in this hobby!

If it were me, I'd make this one an easy softy/lps tank and save the SPS for the new tank where you'll spend the bulk of your time with testing, etc.

My little 8g is softies and lps only and it's doing great with no dosing and a weekly waterchange. It's so easy peasy compared to the big tank :).

This is my fat cat Rho. As in, the Greek letter. He gets really jealous and annoying when I work on my tank and don't pay attention to him:

15431141994_05d812de85.jpg

IMG_5591 by kimothy182, on Flickr

He's very pretty though. It's ok, you can call him pretty. He doesn't mind, as long as it means he's getting attention:

16051480481_04ca4ae90b.jpg

IMG_5592 by kimothy182, on Flickr

Found him :wub:.
kimberbee

If it were me, I'd make this one an easy softy/lps tank and save the SPS for the new tank where you'll spend the bulk of your time with testing, etc.

My little 8g is softies and lps only and it's doing great with no dosing and a weekly waterchange. It's so easy peasy compared to the big tank :).

Found him :wub:.

I think I may sell a few of the SPS I have in here and take my favorites - myagi/shortcake, undata, a. sarmentosa - over to the new tank under the nano box. It's just shallower, so I'd worry about over growth. However, I see Sk8n's tank and change my mind!! Since RFA's and acans will also like the "better" light, that may just be the right choice!!

Oh, my beautiful Rho!! :wub:

I think I may sell a few of the SPS I have in here and take my favorites - myagi/shortcake, undata, a. sarmentosa - over to the new tank under the nano box. It's just shallower, so I'd worry about over growth. However, I see Sk8n's tank and change my mind!! Since RFA's and acans will also like the "better" light, that may just be the right choice!!

Oh, my beautiful Rho!! :wub:

I love his name :wub:.

I bet the SPS will do so much better under the new light. Just keep up with your major elements, Ca/Alk/mg.

Saw your post about the SPS. Look forward to test results to help better understand what might be happening. Loss of color is usually nutrient related. Light could be adding to the issue but isn't the cause of it IMO.

kimberbee

Saw your post about the SPS. Look forward to test results to help better understand what might be happening. Loss of color is usually nutrient related. Light could be adding to the issue but isn't the cause of it IMO.

Water change tonight. So I'll post results for both tanks in a few hours!

kimberbee

I spent over 2 hours on my tanks this evening!! Testing is going to have to wait, I'm tiiiired!!

1 - Trim xenia. Placed in two clear cups with rubble. Hopefully these will attach and can be given away. Each cup has 3 small stalks. One cup in this tank, the other in tank #2, just to see how it does.

17209927668_bc35a36188.jpg

2 - Put tiny rubble into a glass dish for the ric that bailed off it's rock a few weeks ago. Plastic cup was not working for this. hopefully he will be left undisturbed in his little jar:

17190262947_6dc39d950e.jpg

3 - Siphon sand/water, clean glass, replace carbon/phoslock, wipe outside glass.

Just for fun. I wonder if this guy has grown? I'm just really happy he seems to like it in my tank!

17210135840_166b972a68.jpg

Sk8n Reefer

Maintenance - it's like therapy sometimes? I tend to get lost in it when I am working on the tank - keep up the good work Kimberbee !

I went away for a quick weekend trip - Saturday morning until Sunday evening. No one was around to watch my tanks, but everything turned out fine. I did not plan well and have not had time to get a water test done.

Both cups of xenia are now in this tank, because the crap light I have temporarily over my nuvo is not cutting it. I should be able to cut up a bunch of xenia to give away, though I'm still hoping someone will just take it all for free!

Leaning towards making this a euphyllia/mushroom tank in the coming months. But it will probably make it to 1 year before that happens.

• 2 weeks later...

I also have two clumps of xenia for give away ready, as well as one of my blue mushrooms bailed from it's rock in plastic cups of rubble. These are now zip tied to the top "frame" of the biocube. I needed to get them up and off the sand as they were trapping a lot of nasties. I meant to take a picture.

My SPS's are still growing and encrusting but not coloring up...

Calcium: 425 (red sea)

Magnesium: 1400 (red sea)

Alkalinity: 9 (red sea)

Nitrate: 0 (API)

Snails should arrive today, and my Nanobox is here. Also need to make time for a water change in tank #2 and I can start moving a few things over! Definitely going to move this tank to a euphyllia/mushroom/leather tank.

your tanks really taking off, night and day since i saw it last (been kinda inactive past few months) fun to come back and go wow to so many tanks though lol.

I also have two clumps of xenia for give away ready, as well as one of my blue mushrooms bailed from it's rock in plastic cups of rubble. These are now zip tied to the top "frame" of the biocube. I needed to get them up and off the sand as they were trapping a lot of nasties. I meant to take a picture.

My SPS's are still growing and encrusting but not coloring up...

Calcium: 425 (red sea)

Magnesium: 1400 (red sea)

Alkalinity: 9 (red sea)

Nitrate: 0 (API)

Snails should arrive today, and my Nanobox is here. Also need to make time for a water change in tank #2 and I can start moving a few things over! Definitely going to move this tank to a euphyllia/mushroom/leather tank.

I think that is a wise move, (LPS and mushrooms). They are beautiful in their own right and you will keep up with maintenance better if you don't overwhelm yourself with 2 high maintenance tanks.

Archived