Cultivated Reef

Kimberbee's First Tank - RETIRED!

kimberbee

I mean, when they don't turn back on, probably means it's due for a cleaning. I didn't know where it was plugged in, how to take it apart, or that it should be checked regularly!

I think I'll take Saturday to get tank #2 filled (hopefully if I can find sand I like), and get both cabinets organized. Also, will likely re-wire the plugs in my BC since I don't know what's what and I need another timer added for my third set of lights.

Also, I think there some saltwater drippage on my cords. I know that's not good...

-When you organize your cords, put some "loops" in them. The water will only travel as far as the loop....then drips from there. That way it won't travel into the socket.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

-When you organize your cords, put some "loops" in them. The water will only travel as far as the loop....then drips from there. That way it won't travel into the socket.

This was never done. I think I've been lucky...

Wow, I really appreciate everyone's kind words and thoughts.

Yesterday was truly a hard day for me emotionally - I closed out of nano-reef (which keeps me occupied during the day), de-activated my Facebook, and turned off my phone. I realized that that was child-ish of me and wasn't addressing the real issue.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, but glad that you're going to plough on with the tanks. Will be following along. :)

So simple, yet so genius. ((runs off to do cable management))

Probably the quickest haiatus from the hobby I've ever seen! Wow! ;)

Seriously I think your post saying you were taking a break was the last post I read last night before sleep :ninja: and then today reading that you were going to wet tank #2 this weekend!

But it's all good... It's probably best to keep yourself busy and engaged in something you like. It's your hobby, nobody else's influence matters at this point and you have some good support from people on N-R.com that will continue.

Probably the quickest haiatus from the hobby I've ever seen! Wow! ;)

Seriously I think your post saying you were taking a break was the last post I read last night before sleep :ninja: and then today reading that you were going to wet tank #2 this weekend!

But it's all good... It's probably best to keep yourself busy and engaged in something you like. It's your hobby, nobody else's influence matters at this point and you have some good support from people on N-R.com that will continue.

I was just trying to take a break from the electronic world really, not reefing as a hobby. I was in a mood where I wanted to hide away for a while. But that would mean flaking on all of my responsibilities and the life in my tank would suffer.

I think getting my very own, brand new RO/DI in the mail today helped shake me out of it!

I was just trying to take a break from the electronic world really, not reefing as a hobby. I was in a mood where I wanted to hide away for a while. But that would mean flaking on all of my responsibilities and the life in my tank would suffer.

I think getting my very own, brand new RO/DI in the mail today helped shake me out of it!

:grouphug: welcome back :D

So hey, how is the organization coming? Got all those cords labeled and looped?

Woah, Speedy Gonzales! Give a girl some time!!

Wow, I really appreciate everyone's kind words and thoughts.

Yesterday was truly a hard day for me emotionally - I closed out of nano-reef (which keeps me occupied during the day), de-activated my Facebook, and turned off my phone. I realized that that was child-ish of me and wasn't addressing the real issue.

My BF and I are having major issues, and while I don't need or want to air my dirty laundry out to the internet world, or turn this into a he-said-she-said debate, it really comes down to a difference in wants and needs that are unable to be met for either party. It really sucks putting time and love into a relationship, only to watch it crumble as you try to pick up the pieces.

In truth, I will need Nano-Reef more than ever. He held my hand the whole way with my BioCube - so much so that when my return pump failed Sunday night at 11pm, I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW WHERE IT WAS PLUGGED IN!! And now I am setting up tank #2 completely on my own. I'm confident that I can do it, but I will definitely need to know more than I already do. Apparently, I should be cleaning out my return pumps on a regular basis!!

My break from Nano-Reef was short lived. I need a good hobby to keep me busy and occupied. And you all are so nice, there's not a better place to get that help and support.

Thank you!!!

Anytime you need to vent...I'm here. Just PM me :). Or if you need help with the tank part. You have lots of friends here :flower:.

Oh and welcome back :wub:.

My urchin has been walking around with a hermit molts on his back for a couple of days now...

16923207989_4ec3cb5c04.jpg

I think I should start calling him Vlad...

Jonas is being an amazing resident! He ate a couple brine shrimps and didn't run of like a coward when I was cleaning the tank this evening. He just kept poking around for pods.

He is however, very camera shy. He somehow knows when it's just me, and when it's me and my camera. Little bugger!

16671702158_f9d527ce12.jpgWP_20150318_007 by kimothy182, on Flickr

Truly, honestly, he is peeking around the corner to see if I've still got my camera!!

16858175681_be9b2ee30d.jpgWP_20150318_004 by kimothy182, on Flickr

And my nems. Still alive, but not doing the best. I hope I can figure out what to do for them otherwise I may not be able to have a beautiful flower garden like I had planned!

Nickel sized:

16858282971_de14f0654f.jpgWP_20150318_003 by kimothy182, on Flickr

Pinky-nail sized:

16239356953_399051b9e4.jpgWP_20150318_002 by kimothy182, on Flickr

Jimi, my psychedelic mandarin, seems very camera shy too!

And sorry to hear about your troubles. Your tank(s) seem to truly make you happy, so bury yourself in them, and do what makes you smile!

My urchin has been walking around with a hermit molts on his back for a couple of days now...

16923207989_4ec3cb5c04.jpg

I think I should start calling him Vlad...

That's cool and kinda morbid at the same time. If I didn't know they were molts, lol.

That's cool and kinda morbid at the same time. If I didn't know they were molts, lol.

Oh yeah... cause the antennae would wave in the current so at first I really wasn't sure!!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been distracted this past week by someone new... ;)

Completely missed taking a 9 month FTS... :slap:

Everyone/thing is doing well, except that my creepy green monster is losing it's green. <_<

So now the 3 acros I have are all pretty much a pinkish red. Gotta figure that out...

• 2 weeks later...
kimberbee

Did I ever post this? It was a few days before 9 months:

17255902622_c7494ba1a0.jpg

The first water change of the month is a big one - that's when I typically change my filter media, siphon really really good (move corals that are on the sand), and don't half-ass my glass cleaning duties. This week is that week.

Also going to start preparing to move a select few corals over to tank #2. The two acans, two gorgs, spiral wire, and likely the duncan will be moved over. As well as a small piece of the finger leather I cut a few weeks ago. I may also cut up a piece of the neon green toadstool as well.

Debating what direction to take this tank once I start moving a few things out. Thought of going SPS, but I don't think my light is good enough. I'm not happy with the colors I'm getting out of the few SPS I have. So I'm leaning towards mushrooms/euphyllia. I'm pretty sure my light is turnt up all the way - two ecoxotic panorama pro strips. You can see above, my undata, myagi/maybe shortcake, and the purple-y acro are all an awkward pink-ish color. All are growing GREAT, but the colors blow. Any ideas?

Did I ever post this? It was a few days before 9 months:

17255902622_c7494ba1a0.jpg

Any ideas?

New Light! Lots of SPS...

JKJK Tank is looking great Kim. Your tank just looks so mature for only being 8 months in. Just do what feels right.

kimberbee

New Light! Lots of SPS...

JKJK Tank is looking great Kim. Your tank just looks so mature for only being 8 months in. Just do what feels right.

Thanks! I need to thin out the sand-dwelling corals as well as get rid of the overgrown Xenia. Then I can re-evaluate!

That FTS - Thank is looking wonderful!! :)

Thank you!

Looks great!

Are you shooting with a Nokia?

I am! I have a DSLR, but am lazy. It's easier to get pics with my phone and upload them directly to flickr. ;)

I'll break out the DSLR for 1 year shots for sure!!

DurocShark

I miss my Nokia Icon. Pics were WAY better than what I get with this HTC One M8 piece of crap. But when I lost my Icon, Verizon didn't have any more flagship Windows Phones. :(

But I have a new lens for my Nikon DSLR, and a new body coming, so I'm making up for it. :)

Archived