Coral Vue Hydros

Kimberbee's First Tank - RETIRED!

kimberbee

I couldn't leave well enough alone. Re-arranged the rocks again during my water change earlier this week, and now the cyano has come out to play. :(

I'll be doing a half water change this weekend.

Hey, join the club, that's just what we, reefer's do!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the scape Are the white spots hard or soft?

Ekk I haven't touched them! :scarry:

They definitely don't move. I'm thinking snail eggs?

What're these white spots? They are alllllll over my rocks...

18583986238_561d12cf4a.jpg

Hiya, I can't tell from the pic if they're flat or bubbled, but I get white spots all over the tank when my snails lay eggs. They lay 5 eggs or so in a tiny clear egg sack, maybe 3-4 mm across (the white bubble), and then the baby snails develop and hatch out of the sack. The sack turns white after they hatch and stays stuck to whatever surface it was laid on.

Re-scaped again...

18771792155_0984f3ee15.jpg

What're these white spots? They are alllllll over my rocks...

18583986238_561d12cf4a.jpg

Re-scape came out nice....Those white spots are nerite snail eggs. I have had a lot of them lately too, and I have started to see all the baby nerites EVERYWHERE in my tank.

Oh good! I like baby snails!! :wub:

Hurray! Then I hope you get some eggs laid on the glass somewhere. It's super adorable to watch them develop from tiny pin-pricks to little mini 1mm snails. My coralline scraping goes way down when the snails lay eggs. I picked up a plastic microscope for 5 bucks and took the base off, so now I can magnify anything that's within about half an inch of the glass. =)

Agree on the snail eggs. My nerites from John have covered my rocks with the same white dots/spots! At first I had no idea what they were then found a couple photos and realized nerite eggs!

So sad...

18745494696_f5044cae28.jpg

Very sad...

18583981338_45b4ff14e5.jpg

:tears:

Sorry kimber, I lost a fungia once too. I don't recognize the first coral but it's always sad to lose corals that you really like. :-(

My wellso brain that my hubby gave me 2 and half years ago for valentine's day is very slowly receding. In some ways I wish that a languishing coral would just up and die instead of this slow painful death.

The first is a sun coral. Both were one of the very first things I added to this tank. Hopefully it's still not to late?

Oh nohs! If they're not doing any harm, I would just leave them in. It's amazing what a coral can come back from. Good luck!

HarryPotter

Sorry kimber, I lost a fungia once too. I don't recognize the first coral but it's always sad to lose corals that you really like. :-(

My wellso brain that my hubby gave me 2 and half years ago for valentine's day is very slowly receding. In some ways I wish that a languishing coral would just up and die instead of this slow painful death.

Aww man whats wrong with the brain? Is it still extending to feed? Other corals are happy?

Might want to check the bottom for any pests

The first is a sun coral. Both were one of the very first things I added to this tank. Hopefully it's still not to late?

I hope not too. As long as there is tissue there is hope, right?

Aww man whats wrong with the brain? Is it still extending to feed? Other corals are happy?

Might want to check the bottom for any pests

I can't put my finger on the problem. It still inflates and extends it's tentacles to feed but a lot of its skeleton is showing around the edges. It's not obvious because the sand bed tends to cover the exposed skeleton. It's a DSB but I have never seen any pests and all the other corals are unbelievably healthy.

your mandarin is so beautiful!!

i lost my fungia plate too and never got

anther one. my lobo continues to recede. i think

it needs a lot more stability that i can offer in

my easy breezy mushie RFA tank. haha!

sorry you lost that and the sun corals. :(

Last testing I did was about a month ago on 5/27.

Item 5/27 6/24

Alk 8.4 9.4

Ca 430 410

Mg 1400 1300

Nit 0 5

Ph -- 8.3

SG: 1.025

Temp: 79

My alk stays high, but my calcium is always low... whaaaaat?

I'm really unhappy with this pos tank.

My ricordea and another mushroom bailed from the rocks overnight.

Just looked at all my FTS from the past year. Months 4-8 were beautiful. I wish I never re-arranged my rocks.

My 1st year shot in 3 weeks is gonna look like ass. :unsure:

I'm really unhappy with this pos tank.

My ricordea and another mushroom bailed from the rocks overnight.

Just looked at all my FTS from the past year. Months 4-8 were beautiful. I wish I never re-arranged my rocks.

My 1st year shot in 3 weeks is gonna look like ass. :unsure:

:( wonder if rearranging the rocks caused a mini spike from crud built up underneath?

I'm certainly not an expert on params, but I don't think 410 Ca is really low to the point you need to worry?

:( wonder if rearranging the rocks caused a mini spike from crud built up underneath?

I'm certainly not an expert on params, but I don't think 410 Ca is really low to the point you need to worry?

The problem I think, is that when I bought the tank used, I didn't clean out the sand. I have no idea how long the sand and rocks had been in the tank before I bought them. I have no idea if the previous owners (I know I'm the 3rd owner, if not 4th or more...) ever siphoned the sand, which I had wanted to do when I first got the tank and the only inhabitants were 2 leathers, an urchin, and 3 hermits. But I was told not to.

And yea, 410 isn't low itself, but that's right after a water change using Red Sea Coral Pro - which mixes to a high calcium itself. Meaning my ca was even lower than that.

The problem I think, is that when I bought the tank used, I didn't clean out the sand. I have no idea how long the sand and rocks had been in the tank before I bought them. I have no idea if the previous owners (I know I'm the 3rd owner, if not 4th or more...) ever siphoned the sand, which I had wanted to do when I first got the tank and the only inhabitants were 2 leathers, an urchin, and 3 hermits. But I was told not to.

And yea, 410 isn't low itself, but that's right after a water change using Red Sea Coral Pro - which mixes to a high calcium itself. Meaning my ca was even lower than that.

Yea, 3rd(ish) owner & the sandbed had never been siphoned? Ouch.

Sounds like you might have dosing adventures in the near future :lol: I'm in willful denial. Haven't tested params since I got the clam :mellow: I'm a bad fish momma

Archived